Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Life Is Short

So Cal HEET Wave

On the trail: Its warm, miserable, humid and dusty. Sometimes its plain too hot to ride.
    Drink plenty of water if you do and carry some.

Also pretend its the middle of January and 47 degrees at 9PM on a night ride. That may help
    appreciate the warmness. Good day, keep warm

Team Fearless Descender
    It's (temps) kept me off the trails the past several days here in SoCal / Los Angeles. Nothing like opening your east facing door at 7am and being hit with a blast of heat. It takes the "go" right out of me, and I know I shouldn't complain, as I live in WLA. Temps here are easily 20 degrees less than the valley. Our local trails straddle the west side and the valley.

Be careful out there in the heat if you do go riding.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Inland Empire was miserable this past week, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Even when I started my rides at 6:30 PM or 7:00 PM, it was still 95* F.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I started both my rides at 6 am this week. I actually may start doing that more often as long as daylight permits. Fewer people on the trails, cooler, fewer sweat sucker flies and the tiny bit of morning dew keeps the dust down a little. Not to mention being done by 9am you still have the whole day ahead of you.
    Last edited by sandmangts; 08-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    I started at 4:30 and 5 this week. I have awesome lighting so I don't mind the darkness. It's way better because theres no one on the trails besides the snakes looking for breakfast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My Garmin read 104 degrees yesterday at the Hub at 10:30am... I drained a 100oz Camelback on the ride and still ran out before we reached the car...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

b a n n e d
    Glad I'm not the only one not out riding today (or yesterday!)!

I'm headed out tonight though after dark
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Warrior's Society
    Rode up at Mt Pinos in the rain yesterday.......about 80 degrees.......

Rode Satiago Oaks today and it was hot......90+ but not enough to keep me off the trails.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My wife is just getting into riding off-road. We decided to do a 3-4 hour ride through the Santa Monicas, and I promised that we'd be fine on temp if we went early. We hit snooze so got a late start, we ran out of water (I too drained a 100oz but thankfully we were not that far from the Nike silos), she got the dry heaves from the heat, and it was six hours door-to-door by the time we got back to the car. The car thermometer read 108. A building down in the valley where we went to eat read 104 so it was stupid hot even if the car was off.

Oopsie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Tried to do a ride in the other day, figured 1030 wouldn't be too hot, 20 minutes into my ride the heat and sun made me completely empty my stomach on the side of the trail. Lesson learned, I'm going again tomorrow morning at 0600 when I get off work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My wife asked me to note that today actually melted her toe nail polish (true story).

mtbr member
    Was a great excuse to get out of town this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I thought I was the only one getting beat down by the heat. I've bought some lights for night rides as this heat is brutal.

mtbr member
    Glad I am not the only one having trouble with the heat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i rode el prieto yesterday and my friends garmin went as high as 113* at one point. it was pretty brutal. drank at least 2 liters on the 4 mile climb, and took over an hour when i can usually do it in about 30 minutes. also all 3 of us riding got the chills and goosebumps at some point during the climb. that was only temporary and nobody got sick otherwise. thankfully most of the descent is shaded with some water crossings.

i had absolutely no problem staying indoors today.

but still got some intense riding in at the home depot center velodrome!
    Last edited by Der Juicen; 08-13-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Juice

b a n n e d
    Rode sullivan last night and it was still hot going up around 8:00. Humidity was the real bish though . . .

On the way back down, it was perfect. Too bad it was at like 10:00 at night.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You think this is hot . . .

I remember when I was a boy, we had to bike to school in magma, uphill both ways. And the wheel was still in early stages of development, so we just had big squares on the front and back of our bikes. Have you ever tried to ride a bike with square wheels? And we didn't have shade. Or fance water bottles. You got to bring whatever water you could carry in your mouth . . .

Yeah . . . it's pretty damn hot. And humid. Drink your water and take your salt pills.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    The worst thing is being sick during the heat wave. I rode Friday and Saturday and felt ok and woke up sick late Saturday night with the sweats and a fever. I had to run the ac full blast all day Sunday.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Before you know we will be complaining about the rain or how cold it is.....vicious, vicious cycle
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Been riding early I the morning to get some miles in. It is ONLY 112 here in Bakersfield, it was 101 and pouring rain in Lake Isabella earlier today. NASTY.

Life Is Short
    The average So Cal body can tolerate between 60 to 92 degrees. Anything more or less, that said body/person starts to complain. I am one of those persons. Also the before mentioned temperatures
    are to be tolerated without any wind.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    The average So Cal body can tolerate between 60 to 92 degrees. Anything more or less, that said body/person starts to complain. I am one of those persons. Also the before mentioned temperatures
    About 10 degrees lower at each end for me. Sucks to be so heat-intolerant.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Last week I rode Montana De Oro (in San Luis Obispo area). It was downright cold. A chilly breeze in the morning with fog. But as I climbed the hazard peak trail, I moved above the inversion layer and the temps flipped. Went from upper 50's to upper 80's in less than 5 miles.

Stay close to the beach or go way up in the mountains to beat the heat.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I've lived all of my years in WLA, so I'd say I'm more 65 to 82 degrees.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Life Is Short
    Its damn hot today!!!---ranting from sunset and cahuenga bl. los angeles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast