lurker

SO Cal best looooose over hardpack Tires?

I have searched the forums most of the replies and info have been 2006 and ealier. I have read that tires especially tubeless have come a long way over the past year or two. I am looking for feedback on tubless or non-tubeless (So-cal tires) loose over hardpack. Panaracers, Trailbear, Minion, Blue groove, Nevegals, Larsen, Weirwolf and highrollers in the 2.35- 2.5 size. Open to all input
    THANKS

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Nevegals have been a big fav over the years. Terrible for converting to tubeless for me. Nevegals are pretty slow rollings too. I have been running WTB Weirwolfs (2.5 front, 2.35 rear) for a while. They work great for really loose stuff, what Endo_Verendo calls loose over loose. I am trying the new Bontrager Dry-X on my new 29. No trail time yet
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Single(Pivot)and Happy

Conti

Vert UST have been good to me. I think I might be trying a Mountain King soon.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Flaccid Member
    Check out the "Wheels and Tires" section, plenty of good advice there.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

lurker

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Check out the "Wheels and Tires" section, plenty of good advice there.
    I checked it! Problem was, I,m looking for post 2006 advice. Most of the threads and replies concerning those specific tires were 2006 and erlier.

mtbr member

blow your mind

believe it or not i love the specialized chunder control and chunder pros. i used to run nevegals and they were decent but i found they didnt bite near as hard in the corners as the cunders. downside to the chunder is the price. they range from about 55 to 75 a tire. but they bite so well. also i have a buddy who rolls on minions and he loves them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Minions, designed for loose over hardpack in socal, nuff said.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Minions, designed for loose over hardpack in socal, nuff said.
    I agree.
    Maxxis Minions and Kenda Nevegals.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

a few

For a lighter tire I like the 2.4 Schwalbe knobby nic at around 600g, but they have been fragile in shale if you have any on you're trails.
    At 7-800g range I like the Kenda Blue groove, Kinetic and Nevegal 2.35s, the 2.4 Cortez is slightly faster roller but dosn't have as much strait line grip in the loose as it's 2.35 siblings. The Panaracer Rampage 2.35 has strait line and cornering grip equal to or better than the 2.35 Kendas IMHO and rolls about as fast as the Cortez.
    I'm interested in the new Conti Mountain King 2.4 due to the 540g claimed weight for the regular and 640g for the protection version (as long as conti actually makes it close to a 2.4) but I havent had the best experience with conti traction.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scoots
    I have searched the forums most of the replies and info have been 2006 and ealier. I have read that tires especially tubeless have come a long way over the past year or two. I am looking for feedback on tubless or non-tubeless (So-cal tires) loose over hardpack. Panaracers, Trailbear, Minion, Blue groove, Nevegals, Larsen, Weirwolf and highrollers in the 2.35- 2.5 size. Open to all input
    THANKS
    In reality nothing works great in "loose over hardpack" conditions. I run Trailbears because they offer the least major compromise, they roll pretty good, grip pretty good, are durable and cheap...can't really beat them.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Best tire

I have said many times, but I believe WTB 2.4 Race MutanoRaptors to be the best tire I have ever used in my 26 years of mountain bike riding. I still have not found a dirt condition that they DONT work on. Not only are these tire light (565 grams) they hook up on everything and seem to last a long time also.

mtbr member
    For SoCal===Kenda Small Block 8's==try and you will believe, i will also say that i agree with the other post about mutano's, my buddy rides and swears by them also.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by SIK SD
    For SoCal===Kenda Small Block 8's==try and you will believe, i will also say that i agree with the other post about mutano's, my buddy rides and swears by them also.
    SB-8's are great, but...
    Don't do any jumps/hucks with them.
    The side walls are too thin.
    Also, watch your air pressure.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Birthday Collector
    I ride the Trailbears (2.25 on both, and the 2.5 in front with the 2.25 in rear) in a wide range of conditions and have been extremely happy with them overall. Also ridden the Mutanoraptors in both 2.24 and the 2.4 and they have performed well. I think I like the Trailbears a bit better, and they seem to wear about 3 times as long as the WTB's - of course, if you really like a particular tire more than another, you deal with wear - your style/preferences, etc... will potentially direct you towards one tire more than another. One of my friends swears by the Blue Groove/Nevegal combo. I have spent serious $$ on tires. Some sit after a few rides, and some get ridden until they are starting to need replacement. Unfortunately, trial-and-error is part of finding a tire or combo that you like. Good luck, but the Trailbears are low-cost and they last - good jack-of-all-trade tires - you can sell them if ya don't like 'em!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

lurker

how big is too big?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    SB-8's are great, but...
    Don't do any jumps/hucks with them.
    The side walls are too thin.
    Also, watch your air pressure.

I'm at the small jump level.
    I'm just getting over the 3-1/2' drop zone.
    I like to run about 30-35psi tubeless.
    I have a high roller on my lite bike it's a 2.1
    however it looks tiny. On My RFX I'm looking for a min 2.35 rear 2.5 front
    I'm going to look up a few prices and start with the cheapest of the most suggested tires.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Scoots,
    How you like them high roller for loose over hard pack?