Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

so-cal air quality

I live in Upland... there air quality is below par, and this IS so-cal so my smog drenched lungs are already screeming for relief. Anyone know about current air quality for the region.

Obviously this changes a bit with the changing winds but will a ride be the same as smoking 2 packs of reds?

mtbr member
    I can tell you that in San Clemente....Today might be the worst day yet, but not that there is anything open other than the roads for riding anyway.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I wouldn't walk outside, and I live in Torrance, about 10 minutes from the beach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've heard reports that it's hard to see Top of the World from downtown LB, bad at Aliso, was bad in Fullerton last night...

It's bad here in Temecula also, and has been for going on 24 hours. Schools closed today and tomorrow. I think south OC schools closed also (San Juan Cap area).

I wouldn't ride outside anywhere near here. I'm sure others are, but I need my lungs for VQ.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Been commuting to work on Mon, Tues, Wed...today I really feel like I've been a smoker my whole life. sucs not to breathe.
    It wasn't me

pewpewpew Moderator
    Yesterday and today bad in west la. Rode through yesterday but today it looked worse, so stayed in.
    Love, Impy

"so pitted"
    http://airnow.gov

Best resource. Right now it's super jacked

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i hear you howeler, I smoke occasionally too but it has never affected me so much as my commute has these past four days. I was going to ride to the gym to ride a stationary bike this morning but the air was horribly smoky at 7:30 this morning. if I could park at my school I would definitely be driving right now. its baaaaaaad.

mtbr member
    it's not a freaking campfire. houses are burning, houses coated in paint. stuff inside like carpet burning, plastic smoke. it is not the same as having been a smoker, do not breath the **** at all if you can help it.

i got about as sick as i'd ever gotten after the last fires. dog sick, wishing to die sick. keep your windows closed, stay out of the smoke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I rode on Wednesday and wished I had not!!!
    But am planning to go out on Friday and hit the trails at the end of los Mares....
    I have to get out!!!!

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Been commuting to work on Mon, Tues, Wed...today I really feel like I've been a smoker my whole life. sucs not to breathe.
    Howeler, I'm planning a trip to Vancouver and Whistler in Jun, want to go. You can smoke all the B.C. you want.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

cask conditioned
    Latest Modis sat photo. At least the onshore flow is coming. Good news for firefighters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It was pretty bad... rode up in the Verdugos, but instead of my usual 30 - 36 miler ride, I cut it short at about 23... the lungs and throat were starting to feel it.

This is from the top of Las Flores Motorway (Sunshine) in the Verdugos... the Seven Trees (the lower peak in the foreground) is less than 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies. Nothing can be really seen beyond that.

This is the Las Flores Motorway, taken from South Beaudry... you can barely see Griffith Park in the distance. I came down South Beaudry, and headed to the Glendale City Trails Planning meeting.

http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    it's not a freaking campfire. houses are burning, houses coated in paint. stuff inside like carpet burning, plastic smoke. it is not the same as having been a smoker, do not breath the **** at all if you can help it.

i got about as sick as i'd ever gotten after the last fires. dog sick, wishing to die sick. keep your windows closed, stay out of the smoke.
    Seriously guys stay out of this stuff, wear a mask if you must go out. Stay off your bike for a week. Exercising in this concentrates the effects on your lungs. My uncle is a cardiologist and he says even short term exposure can have long term adverse effects. I love to ride too but it is not worth it.

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    I've heard reports that it's hard to see Top of the World from downtown LB, bad at Aliso, was bad in Fullerton last night...

It's bad here in Temecula also, and has been for going on 24 hours. Schools closed today and tomorrow. I think south OC schools closed also (San Juan Cap area).

I wouldn't ride outside anywhere near here. I'm sure others are, but I need my lungs for VQ.
    I think you might be saving your lungs for nothing. If this fire doesn't get doused fast, I don't see VQ happening.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC
    I think you might be saving your lungs for nothing. If this fire doesn't get doused fast, I don't see VQ happening.
    We were talking about the same thing on STR, but someone mentioned even if part of the route burned the national forest wouldn't be closed for 4 months. Not sure what will happen.

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    We were talking about the same thing on STR, but someone mentioned even if part of the route burned the national forest wouldn't be closed for 4 months. Not sure what will happen.
    The entire forest, no, but the affected areas, probably. The way the fire's burning now, it's probably going to hit Holy Jim, and possibly Horsethief and Trabuco within the next day or so. If that happens, I don't see the forest service allowing the trails to be used for quite some time. Hopefully I'm wrong but it doesn't appear as though the fire authorities are able to get a handle on this thing (still sitting at 30% containment since Monday.)

We'll see though; hopefully this thing can be brought to heel some time in the next day or so.

PS: Here's a map of the fire: http://www.ocregister.com/article/ma...-orange-county The red area is stuff that's still burning and it's almost all new since yesterday...scary.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

cycletherapist
    Aug 2004
    Altadena is not bad however JPL/Brown Mtn/El P are closed. (or were closed as of 4:30 yesterday due to fire danger).

Rode to Cherry Canyon from Altadena last night. The air is fine here, no particulates, no soot on anything.

Altadena has been in this very strange pocket of good aur, blue sky, no smoke and stars at night. Bizzaro.

No wind! Not even on Sunday!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, it definitely looked clearer to the north from the top of the verdugos...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbchick
    Altadena is not bad however JPL/Brown Mtn/El P are closed. (or were closed as of 4:30 yesterday due to fire danger).

Rode to Cherry Canyon from Altadena last night. The air is fine here, no particulates, no soot on anything.

Altadena has been in this very strange pocket of good aur, blue sky, no smoke and stars at night. Bizzaro.

No wind! Not even on Sunday!
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    spent an hour and a half sweating it out on a stationary bike this morning at my campus (UCI's) gym. Horribly boring and uncomfortable on those huge seats, but my lungs felt much better after it. I'm going to probably hit the gym a couple more times before getting back out to ride. besides the air, the trails are going to be packed down at aliso and other recently opened areas. might have to do some night rides.

Dohh!
    I live in Orange rite at the entrance to the Weir Cnayon/Santiago oaks trail. When it burned down in Feb (or maybe March) it was anticipated the trail would be closed for a long time. It ended up only being closed for about 2 months. Hopefully all the trails won't be closed down that long.

Pro Crastinator
    maybe i'm crazy, but i fiend biking so much, i've been out everyday riding...

mtbr member
    you're cra-z, bro. I rode the skatepark yesterday, i was going nuts not being able to ride.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    I work at an environmental consulting firm and those fires put 8.7 million tons of carbon dioxide into the air, among other nasties.

mtbr member

Link to San Diego air quality forecast

http://www.sdapcd.org/air/forecasts/otoday.html
    It sucks not being able to ride as much we would like, in good clean air but we should error on the side of keeping our lungs from being embedded with a lot of harsh particulates and other unknowns. That being said, I rode last Sunday and I am going to wait another week cuz I am just getting over a pretty bad cough I developed a day or two afterwards. Hang in there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast