Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stray Bullet

Snow Summit re-opening to DH bikes?

From this picture taken from their website you would think so.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Looks a little dated....

rollin
    what's the cut-off? 35lbs max and 3 chainrings?

hmmm....caugh6point6caugh

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Last fall they didn't seem to care what bike you were on. I had a DS XC but I saw dudes on burly travel DH bikes and full-face helmets getting on no prob. Maybe there's an unspoken acceptance to DH bikes going on now.

Lord of the Chainrings
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I heard the requirements are:

Under 35 pounds

3 chainrings unless they are singlespeed

Less than 2.5 tires

6 inches or less travel

It would be nice if they reopened to downhill bikes.

Geritol Power

Not true!

Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity
    Last fall they didn't seem to care what bike you were on.
    They had a temporary and very brief lack of communication with a couple of new lift operators. When a group of DH warriors blasted through the resort owners back yard corrections were made promptly.

Sorry, but that's the story I heard from locals about what happened one weekend.

The management is pretty understanding and a LITTLE flexable on bike specs but rightfully have no sense of humor for illegal trail riding or riding on resort slopes. So please enjoy the mountain and don't create illegal trails.

There's lots of legal fun single track to ride up there. Good times.

Glad to Be Alive
    man we should all bring big bikes like the pictures....and sue them for false advertising
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Do the the Snow Summit Singletrack/XC runs suck too? Or does it just suck that you can't DH/FR there? From what I can see on thier website, its looks like a pretty good time, but I've never ridden there...

Stray Bullet
    I was poking fun at Snow Summit's choice of pictures to use for the their begining of summer marketing on their site.

Last year when I was there, there were guys on full DH bikes riding the legal singletrack, which ironically isn't really worthy of a DH bike.

The whole 3 chain ring and 35 lbs bike rule is a more a guideline. I was there with my fiance on my AS-X and they didn't really care.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    I heard the requirements are:

Under 35 pounds

3 chainrings unless they are singlespeed

Less than 2.5 tires

6 inches or less travel

It would be nice if they reopened to downhill bikes.
    I've had no problem bringing my Turner 5 Spot with 2 rings and a bash ring. But then again, it's only 5" F&R at 31 lbs.

I also heard no full face helmets or pads. To me, that's just asking for a liability suit. What about the newbie who wants the extra protection?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    So, if I went up there a 5/5 Giant Reign, with three rings, that weighed 37 pounds, you don't think I'd have a problem?

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I went up with my Reign 2 before the snows and the lift ops didn't bat an eye.

However the entire place SUCKS now, not even worth it anymore.

NEXT!
    It wasn't me

Geritol Power

I think it's fun

Anytime I can ride up on a lift, smell fresh pine scented air and ride down single track it's a good day. They would NOT turn someone away because they had a full face helmet. Gimme a freakin break. Maybe it was the dual crown fork or the 3.0 Gazzalody tires that the lift dude didn't like.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    I'll be going up there this summer with my AM bike. I wouldn't even bother bringing anything with a dual crown or single ring setup unless of course its a maverick fork or a rolhoff drive train. Just take out your XCs and AMs... its not the best riding but it will do for the lift assist stuff. IMO for most of the riding in Socal in the summer it's just to hot (for me) to ride but in BB at least its a little cooler, you can ride the whole day and not be to exhuasted or over heated.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    I went up with my Reign 2 before the snows and the lift ops didn't bat an eye.

However the entire place SUCKS now, not even worth it anymore.

NEXT!
    Go ride out Siberia Creek Trail to Gunsite and tell me the area sucks.

I supose it is all in what you are looking for.

Dean

mtbr member
    How about a Sunday with a Totem on it, think they'd ever have any idea? "But, it IS an xc bike. see, it has a single crown fork...."

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Go ride out Siberia Creek Trail to Gunsite and tell me the area sucks.

I supose it is all in what you are looking for.

Dean
    Sure I'm going to drive from San Diego to hit a 3 mile trail. NOT!

They runied town trail by the way - it's a freaking fire road now.
    It wasn't me

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Sure I'm going to drive from San Diego to hit a 3 mile trail. NOT!

They runied town trail by the way - it's a freaking fire road now.
    Sorry you are right. I thought you might ride up Mill Creek Rd.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    So the consensus is: not worth it? I don't want to waste a weekend going up to big bear for crap trails, when I could go camp at Kernville or just hit Noble early morning. Is it official then?

Death By Snoo Snoo
    go see for yourself, spend one day out there and decide if you'd go again. I'll be out there when it opens and if it really sucks then i'll find something else to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    So the consensus is: not worth it? I don't want to waste a weekend going up to big bear for crap trails, when I could go camp at Kernville or just hit Noble early morning. Is it official then?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

bite the bullitt

just bite the bullit and drive to mammoth, they are stepping it up and they have the bike park. Just a shorter season

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by redspotff
    just bite the bullit and drive to mammoth, they are stepping it up and they have the bike park. Just a shorter season
    Bike park?? I really hope you don't mean the tiny ass jumps and wooden things at the base of the gondy....Mammoth hasn't stepped it up for the biking side of things in years. They were supposed to open 2 or 3 new trails last season and as far as I know didn't even get started on it. I think they know that they can slouch and still have most of the California and Nevada lift market, which is fine because the place still kicks ass. They should have a longer season this year too - no snow = early opener. They gotta keep revenue coming in somehow.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Bike park?? I really hope you don't mean the tiny ass jumps and wooden things at the base of the gondy....Mammoth hasn't stepped it up for the biking side of things in years. They were supposed to open 2 or 3 new trails last season and as far as I know didn't even get started on it. I think they know that they can slouch and still have most of the California and Nevada lift market, which is fine because the place still kicks ass. They should have a longer season this year too - no snow = early opener. They gotta keep revenue coming in somehow.
    Right. Everything, everywhere, sucks except for Whistler. I'm sure I'd have a blast at Mammoth, I must not be as "core" as you "brah".

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redspotff
    I've never been up there; how far's the drive again? And can you camp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast