mtbr member

Snow Summit question..

talked to the lady on the phone, she said riding is only available on the service fireroad and no riding on the face of SS. What does this mean? Only rode here once and the single track was cool but is that part gone? Is there new S/T that branches of the Fireroad? All the lame rules about DH bikes still apply, under 35lbs. 2.5 max tires 3 rings Etc. Etc.
    If your gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

That's gonna leave a mark
    The 3 ring rule is negotiable. I run a 2 ring/bash setup on my 5 Spot and they let me ride the mountain. Have they recinded the "no pads/full face" rule? I think that one is pretty stupid. What if the rider is a rookie and is looking to protect himself?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

We're going down WHAT??

Upset Bummer.....

I just called there.

The Good News:
    The chair lifts will take you to the top of the mountain
    You can take your bikes to the top as long as it is under 35lbs and has 3 chainrings

The Bad News:
    You CANNOT ride the main trails.
    You MUST stay on the fire service roads.

The Reason:
    L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y

Freaking $$ hungry lawyers and non mountainbikers blew it for us again. People like this make me want to puke.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by jonsocal

Freaking $$ hungry lawyers and non mountainbikers blew it for us again. People like this make me want to puke.
    I hate to say it but the decision was partly due to mountain bikers. There were too many poached trails being created out-of-bounds off the other side of the mountain. People would take their bikes up the lift and head off to create illegal trails. From what I hear, it got way out of control.
    Fat fanatic.

We're going down WHAT??

Still lame....

UpChuck,

I heard about that a bit last year (or was it the year before?). Anyhow, those that were doing that are as bad as the blood-sucking lawyers and "victims" they represent. (If you are up there you should know that it is a dangerous sport and be prepared.) Obviously we had a great thing going there but there are always a few people who insist on pushing the boundaries. (pun intended)

To those who were engaging in the poaching - Screw you.. You suck and you blew it for ALL of the rest of us. I guess Bear Mounatin did exactly what I sometimes resort to do to my son and his buddies. If you can't play by the rules, you can't play at all. I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

Now the hundereds or even thousands of us who hoped to go there to enjoy ourselves and challenge ourselves on the occasional weekend will have to make the extra effort to drive to Mammoth... It's only 6 to 7 more hours away...
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    I just rode SS today for the first time in about a year. Town Trail is unrecognizable. What was once awesome singletrack, it's been graded and is wide enough to drive a truck through. LOTS of tree clearing activity on Town Trail and 2N08. Fern Trail is a little rough at the moment; I'm sure once people start riding it, it will burn in a little better. You can tell it hasn't seen much activity since the snow has melted. I'm not sure of the condition of the other trails like 2N51Y, Cabin, Grandview, Fall Line, Pirates or the like, but I'll be up here for a few days, so I'll report back. Weather's beautiful, though. About 80 degrees or so.

Glad to Be Alive
    wait about a month for Mt Baldy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Death By Snoo Snoo
    rode there a few times last year... the lift operators didn't seem to care too much about the rings or the weight and pads/ff helmet. None of us had dual crowns but all of us exceeded the weight and tire size limits. Not sure if they'll sweat us this summer but I am supposed to be up there this sunday, i guess we'll find out... although with gas prices as they are, i am kind of nervous about being a total bust.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just wanted to warn you, that the Big Bear Shootout #1 will be held there this weekend. so i don't know if they'll let you up on the lifts or not, maybe something to look into before you make the drive.

mtbr member
    The Big Bear Shootout is being staged at/near La Montana Restaurant and won't go onto SS property at all, so you shouldn't have any problems with the lift. The racers won't be using it.

moe.
    Sep 2005

3 Rings?

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    The 3 ring rule is negotiable. I run a 2 ring/bash setup on my 5 Spot and they let me ride the mountain. Have they recinded the "no pads/full face" rule? I think that one is pretty stupid. What if the rider is a rookie and is looking to protect himself?
    They let you ride with 2 rings and a bash? Do they weigh bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by mtntrance
    They let you ride with 2 rings and a bash? Do they weigh bikes?
    They let me ride with 2 rings and a bash ring on my 5 Spot. No, they didn't weigh it. A 5 Spot isn't exactly a DH or Freeride bike, but the guys at the lift seemed pretty relaxed about the whole thing. We even discussed the unfortunate affect the rules have had on MTB-user attendance.

I wouldn't drive all the way up there without a backup rig though.
    Fat fanatic.

Over the Hill
    I was up there this Saturday, did not use the lifts or ride the SS area. Was up there to ride Siberia Creek Trail. At 3pm when I checked the SS parking lot out there was maybe a dozen cars/trucks with bikes racks.

The tree clearing is going on everywhere, they are still cleaning up after the barkbeatle infestation. Roads are tore up and trees decked all over the forest.

I used to be a logger and they are taking great care to do as little impact as posible but it still looks bad.

You can check my Ride Report out at http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ead.php?t=2418
    Last edited by dstepper; 05-23-2006 at 12:52 AM.