Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Snow Summit Bike Park- the process has begun

If you've ever dealt with the USFS and/or tried to get a project approved on their land, you know it's a long process.

I've been checking the USFS website quite often to see if the Snow Summit Bike Park has even been programmed for review, as the USFS publishes all the projects under their review and consideration (i.e. approval) on their website. I've been ignoring all the opinion, speculation, and rumor, and instead waiting for this to be officially part of the USFS approval process.

The re-authorization of mountain bike trails on the Snow Summit property is now in the Scoping Period. This began 2/5/13 and you have 30 days to comment.

USDA Forest Service - Big Bear Ranger District NEPA Projects - Snow Summit Summer Use Permits

Click on "Snow SUmmit Summer Use Permits"

Since everyone is hyped about it, and want this to happen, make your voices heard. Click on the link above, to find out more info and be sure to provide your comments within the 30-day scoping period.

Note this is the *beginning* of the process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You can not comment via the link. You either have to mail in a comment or send an email. Here is the contact so now it is time to speak up.

David Kotlarski
    Big Bear Ranger District
    P.O. Box 290, 41397 North Shore Dr. Hwy 38, Fawnskin, CA, 92333
    dkotlarski@fs.fed.us

mtbr member
    I sent him an email and he replied back.

I eat cats
    Email sent!

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    E-mail sent. Also here is a recent article from mtbparks.com posted requesting that we send more e-mails to Mr. Kotlarski. Let's do this guys!

"Proposed Bike Park at Snow Summit in the Works - Your Support is Needed! Featured
    Posted by MtbParks Staff
    font size Print E-mail Login to post comments

Big Bear, CA – There's still much speculation (and debate) about why Snow Summit abruptly ended their relationship with the downhill biking community back in 2005. Whether it was a lawsuit initiated by an injured rider, the devastating loss of Women's Pro Downhiller Haruko Fujinaka during a 2004 pre-race practice run, or numerous insurance, liability, cost and/or forest service hurdles, it has taken quite some time for Big Bear Lake and Snow Summit Mountain Resort to reconsider returning mountain bike riding to the inbounds resort area.

Over the past few years, Snow Summit has slowly been shifting their strict regulation of excatly what kind of mountain bike is allowed on their lift, and allowing lift access for freeriders & downhillers to reach forest service trails (outside the park boundaries). This year, however, it appears that momentum is really starting to move in the right direction for the resort and riders, as plans for the "re-authorization of mountain bike trails on the Snow Summit property is now in the scoping period." We have yet to confirm whether Snow Summit will ultimately develop downhill specific trails, but this certainly is a giant step in the right direction.

If you're reading this article, we're pretty sure you think that this needs to happen. Only a week remains to comment on this proposed action. Take a minute and shoot a quick email to the contact listed below and share your support!

USDA Forest Service - Big Bear Ranger District NEPA Projects - Snow Summit Summer Use Permits

Snow Summit Summer Use Permits #41212
    Commenting on This Project

The Forest Service values public input. Comments received, including respondents’ names and addresses, will become part of the public record for this proposed action. Comments submitted anonymously will be accepted and considered; however, anonymous comments will not provide the agency with the ability to provide you with project updates. The Forest Service wishes to provide you with as many opportunities as possible to learn about our activities.

Submitting Comments

If you wish to submit a comment, please send it to:

David Kotlarski
    Big Bear Ranger District
    P.O. Box 290, 41397 North Shore Dr. Hwy 38, Fawnskin, CA, 92333
    dkotlarski@fs.fed.us"

Proposed Bike Park at Snow Summit in the Works - Your Support is Needed!

On a related note. I e-mailed snow summit directly last week and they emailed back stating this.

"We have some big surprises coming, but you'll have to check back closer to
    summer for details and more information. Keep in touch!

We appreciate your email,

Big Bear Mountain Resorts Communications"

mtbr member
    Gravity Logic has confirmed they are working with Snow Summit. Just send them a message on facebook and they will get back to you.

Can't wait for summer.
    Last edited by slimphatty; 03-04-2013 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Gravity Logic has confirmed they are working with Snow Summit. Just send them a message on facebook and they will get back to you.

Can't wait for summer.
    Definitely gonna renew my mid week pass this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I used to ride here in another lifetime and probably wouldn't ride within the confines of the park even if they do open it back up but I sent an email showing my full support!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks like the ski season is closed but the lifts won't fire up until 5/25 for those not wanting to pedal the entire time. Surprised it is that long of a gap before they open up to bikers. I haven't heard another word on progress but did get an email from David thanking me for my input. Hopefully everyone else chimed in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    New sentence on snow summits site:

So Cal’s only lift served Bike Park is coming to Snow Summit this summer! We have teamed up with Gravity Logic and will be having all new trails for mountain bikes with no restrictions other then the 45 lbs. weight limit.

i think its now official.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    New sentence on snow summits site:

So Cal’s only lift served Bike Park is coming to Snow Summit this summer! We have teamed up with Gravity Logic and will be having all new trails for mountain bikes with no restrictions other then the 45 lbs. weight limit.

i think its now official.
    Mountain Biking Trails Southern California | Big Bear Mountain Resorts

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since season passes are no longer valid for mountainbiking and the daily summer rate was just raised to $32- does anyone know if there is a mountainbike season pass available? I couldn't find anything about it on the Summit webpage.

Beer Please!
    WOW, I am really excited about this. It has been so long since I have done a day trip up to Summit for MTB.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Since season passes are no longer valid for mountainbiking and the daily summer rate was just raised to $32- does anyone know if there is a mountainbike season pass available? I couldn't find anything about it on the Summit webpage.

I saw this:

*Ride the Sky Chair Free with your 2012-13 Dual Mountain winter season pass only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greater Than Gravity View Post
    Website info contradicts itself. I'm sure it will be updated soon.

SEASON PASSES DUAL: MTN PASS 2013-2014 E PASS MID PLUS ADULT SS
    "Good at Snow Summit or Bear Mtn. Valid SUNDAY THRU FRIDAY NON-HOLIDAY during the 2013-2014 Winter Season. Holiday Dates: Nov 28-30, Dec 21-Jan 4, Jan 18-19, and Feb 15-16. Includes Sky Chair Only during the 2013 Summer Season when open (not valid for Mountain Biking). "

https://ecommerce.snowsummit.com/e-c...vIO1d0EDv3tA==

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, with a dual mtn season pass you can ride the sky chair up but you can't bring a bike like you used to be able to.

From the FAQ:

Is my Season Pass good during the summer?

2013/2014 Dual Mountain season passes are valid for scenic rides only on the Snow Summit Scenic Sky Chair this summer (not valid for mountain biking).

EDIT: Got a response to my email:

Thanks for the email. We do offer a separate summer mountain bike season pass. The price is $299 for adults however if you are a winter season pass holder for the 2013/14 season then you are entitled to a 50% off discounts bring the price down to $150. We are planning on opening May 25th and are looking forward to an exciting season of mountain biking, zip lining and golfing. We are also partnering with Gravity Logic to build bigger and better trails so that is another perk we’ve got going for us.
    Nice that they offer the pass but too bad it is $100 more than the Mammoth pass. You have to go 10 times to break even, if you buy the Mammoth pass in April you break even after just 4 days. If it was $199 I'd buy one for sure but no guarantee I'll get 10 full days in while the lifts are operaing so it's not worth the gamble for me. At least they are working on improving the place.
    Last edited by Joe Mama; 04-18-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Beer Please!
    wow, $300.00.... that is a bit steep. I am hoping to get 2-3 days up there this summer, not sure I will have time for more. Maybe if I lived in Big Bear or at the base of the mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's awfullt expensive for a park that hasn't had a single man made obsticle in the last 10 years. If they want to charge that much they better fire up a fleet of bobcats and make some *****in' trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Yeah, with a dual mtn season pass you can ride the sky chair up but you can't bring a bike like you used to be able to.

From the FAQ:

Is my Season Pass good during the summer?

2013/2014 Dual Mountain season passes are valid for scenic rides only on the Snow Summit Scenic Sky Chair this summer (not valid for mountain biking).

EDIT: Got a response to my email:

Nice that they offer the pass but too bad it is $100 more than the Mammoth pass. You have to go 10 times to break even, if you buy the Mammoth pass in April you break even after just 4 days. If it was $199 I'd buy one for sure but no guarantee I'll get 10 full days in while the lifts are operaing so it's not worth the gamble for me. At least they are working on improving the place.
    Not entirely true. If you don't get the early bird pass at Mammoth ($199), in May it goes up to $269. I will agree that $300 is a bit much but let's see what runs they provide before we judge. I'm sure their logic is it will take you 2X the gas to get to Mammoth but the trails need to be comparable to use gas as an argument. Let's just hope!!!

BTW, I just noticed something that still is concerning. Look at this carefully and note the 45lb limit. Most DH bikes are this and then some! This thought process is flawed. If I take a 150lb rider and stick him with a 50lb bike, how is it any different than a 180lb rider and a 20lb bike?? This erosion theory that this is based on is nothing more than a sham to keep the DH bikes out of the park. Got to admit, I am disappointed after readin this. I thought this was going to be put behind us.

Cross-Country Paradise
    So Cal’s only lift served Bike Park is coming to Snow Summit this summer! We have teamed up with Gravity Logic and will be having all new trails for mountain bikes with no restrictions other than the 45 lb weight limit
    For novice and Cross-Country riders, the Bristlecone Trail east of the base area, and Towne Trail to the west, offer gentle, rolling terrain that is a perfect introduction to mountain biking. Intermediate riders will find terrain that is slightly more challenging from the top of the Scenic Sky Chair including Skyline Drive, which rolls across the top of the ridge with great views of Big Bear Lake. A short, steep single-track climb takes you to Grandview Point, which is a great spot to take a break and is the starting point of a thrilling ride to Towne Trail and back to Snow Summit. This nine-mile loop is one of the most popular bike trails in the area. Those who are looking for more time in the saddle can stay on Skyline Drive all the way to the Champion Lodgepole Pine then circle back to the resort making an adventurous 16 miler.

When visiting Snow Summit, we request adhering to the following specs:

Bikes must be less than 45 lbs.•In an effort to keep the National Forest open for all of us; please ride responsibly and use the existing trails. Riders caught using our forest irresponsibly will lose their chair lift privileges.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I qualified my statement about the price by saying "if you buy the Mammoth pass in April " - so it is entirely true

I was told that the 45lb limit is an OSHA type safety requirement for the workers lifting the bikes, not an erosion thing. Last year a good percentage of the bikes were full on DH rigs and no one was weighing bikes. Unless your bike is way over 45 pounds I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The lift boys told me it was erosion. On the checklist of things allowed in the past, it was less than 6" of travel, 2.5" tire max and I think 42lbs. The lifties grumbled a couple times when lifting the bikes and one actually stuck it on the scale, 47 lbs. He said finish the day but don't bring it back. If it is an OSHA thing, how does Mammoth or Whistler get around it. Bottom line is the owners of Summit still have a nasty taste in their mouth over the lawsuit years ago and have generalized that if you have a DH bike, you are a risk to them. Just my opinion. The only thing Summit has going for them is it a day trip location today. If there are going to be more trails than what the US Forestry has to offer, then that is a step in the right direction. Last year we didn't even go to Summit as it isn't a lot of fun on a DH bike.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell View Post
    That's awfullt expensive for a park that hasn't had a single man made obsticle in the last 10 years. If they want to charge that much they better fire up a fleet of bobcats and make some *****in' trails.
    I heard they are having some top notch trail builders coming in this spring to make the trails. I am sure many of the old Single Tracks from when the bike park was open before are still sorta recognizable and just need to be freshened up.

Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    If it is an OSHA thing, how does Mammoth or Whistler get around it.
    At Mammoth they do not lift bikes over their heads, so perhaps the OSHA rules are different. I have never been to Whistler so I cannot comment on how it is done there.

As to the 45lb rule, I guess we will have to wait and see how things go. If enough money is showing up at the mountain this summer they might consider looking the other way.

just out of curiosity, how many of you guys with DH rigs have bikes that are over 45lbs? If so by how much? I would imagine there has to be a threshold some where along the line where bikes just won't get any heavier than a certain weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Gravity Logic is the name of the design group organizing the new bike park. As of yesterday, they were up there marking trails to build. Good stuf!

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Subscribed
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso-For Sale
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    The lift boys told me it was erosion. On the checklist of things allowed in the past, it was less than 6" of travel, 2.5" tire max and I think 42lbs. The lifties grumbled a couple times when lifting the bikes and one actually stuck it on the scale, 47 lbs. He said finish the day but don't bring it back. If it is an OSHA thing, how does Mammoth or Whistler get around it. Bottom line is the owners of Summit still have a nasty taste in their mouth over the lawsuit years ago and have generalized that if you have a DH bike, you are a risk to them. Just my opinion. The only thing Summit has going for them is it a day trip location today. If there are going to be more trails than what the US Forestry has to offer, then that is a step in the right direction. Last year we didn't even go to Summit as it isn't a lot of fun on a DH bike.
    Imho, shared by several other dhrs, summit is hella fun on a dh bike. Rode it last year with some of the dvo guys and they had the same opinion. Agree $299 is a lot for a pass but its cheaper than shuttling 5 weekends in a row, plus no odd man out and extra wear and tear on the shuttle vehicle. Collectively, So cal has some good Dh trails, but it wont take much for summit to create a better dh experience.

If it's proven people are willing to pay the money, I expect that snow summit will commit more to it just as they did for snowboarding all those years ago. Given a few years, we could end up with a resort that dethrones mammoth as the premier bike park for california. Thinking happy thoughts and hoping it doesn't get screwed up along the way.

GL getting a plan of attack together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow Summit Bike Park- the process has begun-screen-shot-2013-04-26-10.29.59-pm.jpg  

Last edited by monstertiki; 05-02-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast