noob
    Jul 2007

Snow Summit - 5/30

Hey all,

Going to hit up snow summit on 5/30. It will be my first and last time, since I'm moving to Alabama in July. Bringing a friend who is much less experienced than I am. He's going to be riding my hardtail, I'll rent a FS out there (Trek Remedy or something).

Anyone hit the trails this season yet?
    2007 Gary Fisher Piranha
    SoCal

mtbr member
    I just went up yesterday and it was great. Your hard tail bike can be ridden there but it's not the best setup. One younger kid that went with us rode one and I would guess he was in the top 30% of riders there but that's just him. Young and doesn't care about getting the crap beat outta you

I don't think it's a place for someone that can't handle those types of trails and ride with the pack of shredders coming down at crazy arse speeds but that's just my take. I personally like those guys to get their turns in and not be in the way. Most of the trails don't lend to passing until you reach certain points
    San Diego needs singletrack

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    A hard-tail is not ideal, especially for a newer or less experienced rider. Will be just fine once the Green Trail opens later this Summer.

I would suggest you both rent FS bikes.

I might actually be up there on the 30th, I will be rolling an older 2006 Specialized Big Hit, Silver/Black with a 24" rear tire. Say hello if you see me!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    For me I will not go down summit again. Look at this Snow Summit DH via Skyline Mountain Bike Trail, Big Bear Lake, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljones48 View Post
    For me I will not go down summit again. Look at this Snow Summit DH via Skyline Mountain Bike Trail, Big Bear Lake, CA
    That's a good run for what's he's riding but the trail has a lot of fire road. Just not worth it in my opinion. If you pay $39 bucks for a lift ticket, ride the DH runs or keep the money in your pocket and ride some place else.
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    That's a good run for what's he's riding but the trail has a lot of fire road. Just not worth it in my opinion. If you pay $39 bucks for a lift ticket, ride the DH runs or keep the money in your pocket and ride some place else.
    Then I'd keep your money and ride somewhere else.

Snow Summit is really a full-suspension destination, unless your companion is an advanced rider and brings an AM hardtail with the right spec, I'd say he's not gonna have a whole lot of fun, so much as an ass whooping. Snow Summit isn't kind to anything or anyone with less than 6" of travel. Of course there are those who can ride it with much less, or no suspension at all, and NOT destroy their bikes. Is your friend that type of rider?

To clarify, a one way ticket up is half the cost, or even a third, of a regular full day lift pass.

Getting to Skyline (and back to SS) doesn't involve THAT much fireroad.
    I should know since I ***** about fireroads a lot.

IMO, if you're committed to bringing a hardtail for your friend, deal with the fireroads, you'll both have a better time.

EDIT - not trying to be rude. Just candid, since you've never been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sucks the prices went up again this year, they need to add more and better trails if they want to charge that much

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's a good run for what's he's riding but the trail has a lot of fire road. .
    That route doesn't have any fire road except the last section to connect back to the lifts. Its singletrack/doubletrack on the entire descent.

noob
    Jul 2007
    Damn. Well I can hack it for sure, seen the videos and pictures online. He sure can't. THought that maybe he could just go around obstacles and jumps but it looks like you've gotta be an intermediate at best if you want to shred snow summit.

Good stuff, we'll go somewhere else local. Silverado canyon perhaps. Thanks all.
    2007 Gary Fisher Piranha
    SoCal

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Snow summit/Bear Moutain just sold to Mammoth mountain in the last 5 month

maybe park in bear mountain and go up skyline

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Plenty of other trails near SS as well as all around the valley. It sounds like you dont have the right bikes for the park, but you access trails off of SS using the chairlift or park at several trailheads and get some good rides in. As for the weather, yet another cold front coming in on ThThursday, into Friday, possibly bringing some snow. Its suppose to warm up a little by the weekend.