mtbr member

Snow in Noble Canyon?

Anyone know if Noble Canyon got any snow in these last series of storms? Ive seen pictures from past storms with some pretty decent coverage up there.

Geritol Power
    I'm guessing a couple feet of snow on top. Lots of mud below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a couple friends that live in and around the Julian area and they say they got about 6inches. Pretty safe bet that Noble got some.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill
    Anyone know if Noble Canyon got any snow in these last series of storms? Ive seen pictures from past storms with some pretty decent coverage up there.
    I just drove up the 79 from the 8 to Julian todya for work, a good 6-7 inches of snow near Lake Cuyamaca so you can bet on snow and mud in Noble.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

dft
    mtbr member
    of course they got a ton of snow, what planet are you living on. top is almost at 6000. unridable for awhile or you will get the wrath of the trailkeeper!

you should also ask the other classic question, "what tire is best for lake hodges"

Geritol Power
    6-7" of snow??? Some people told me they had 2" of hale in El Cajon.

mtbr member

It was a Mess!

I was out there on Sunday at noon, figuring the only thing rideable in San Diego was the paved road up to Sunrise Highway that parallels Noble Canyon.

The first sign of trouble was some nut with a tobagon on his roof trying to go around the locked gate and over the knocked down barbed wire fence just before the first real climb on that road. While going up that climb, we started to see snow in the road, but it was clear in the tire tracks.

The first drop after that climb took us down into the trees where there was about 3" of snow in the middle of the road and icy slush in the tire tread areas. It took some good balancing skills as the hill got steeper but it was a fun challenge.

By the time we cleared the trees and got to the 2nd real climb, we could see the snow wasn't melted, even when fully exposed to the sun. At most, we were 1-1/2 to 2 miles in and called it quits. We rode around Pine Valley for a bit, got Mountain Burgers, and returned home.

My guess is the road will be clear by the middle of the week, but the trail is going to be a sloppy mess for quite a while.

Anybody got predictions on when ATT will be rideable, without damaging the trail?

CEB
    No horse'n round
    ATT is ALWAYS open after a rain. A few more "ruts" .... But that's mtbiking. Not much mud gathers on an UPHILL TRAIL!

On another subject: Mountain Burgers at FROSTY BURGER in Pine Valley. A valid and sound reason to find yourself in Pine Valley!

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    Taken by my fiance yesterday.

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    This is the road up to Noble, pic taken by my fiance yesterday.

mtbr member

A cool picture from Sunrise Highway last Saturday...

Yep! There's snow in those hills...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    ATT is ALWAYS open after a rain. A few more "ruts" .... But that's mtbiking. Not much mud gathers on an UPHILL TRAIL!
    We last rode ATT in Dec. There was a spot on the trail near the Wall of Bofus that had a huge ravine carved out on the UPHILL side of the trail, and a steep drop-off on the downhill side. Sort of a land bridge was left, a few feet across, and it seemed to be badly undermined. I wouldn't be surprised if the rain washed away what was left. I can't recall if there was a good walk-around spot.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk
    We last rode ATT in Dec. There was a spot on the trail near the Wall of Bofus that had a huge ravine carved out on the UPHILL side of the trail, and a steep drop-off on the downhill side. Sort of a land bridge was left, a few feet across, and it seemed to be badly undermined. I wouldn't be surprised if the rain washed away what was left. I can't recall if there was a good walk-around spot.
    I guess I'll find out Friday. Gonna head out and ck'r out!

mtbr member
    We were up at the top of noble last friday. Plenty of snow.
    09 GIANT REIGN 1
    09 Fisher Rig 29
    05 FELT 55
    03 GT 1.0
    Turning skills or hospital bills

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    Taken yesterday.