Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

snakes in san diego

can someone tell me about snakes in san diego? i usually ride lake hodges (north), los penasquitos, and sycamore canyon. lately, i've been coming across a few snakes, and to be frank, they creep me out big time. so, for some peace of mind, i'm just really wondering if the snakes in those areas pose any sort of real threat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    just the ones that speak and offer you apples. if yuo get a decent look at them, seee if they have rattles those snakes def. pose a threat. take pics if you can and post them here. not sure about your area other than rattlers.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Rattlers and gopher snakes are pretty common in San Diego County. My advice, stay on the trails and be alert.....(The world needs more lerts).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

high plains drifter

only if you try and pick them up

A garter snake will pee on you when handled and it smells something awful don't get it on your gloves.rattle snakes will almost and I said almost always retreat although I've seen them attack on a few occasions .most will try to escape as fast as they can.
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Good info on San Diego area snakes here http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/index.html

Saw two kingsnakes http://www.chaffeezoo.org/animals/ca...KingSnake.html and one Rosy Boa http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/lich-tri.html last evening at Lake Hodes. Usually it's gopher snakes and rattlers. Was a cool treat to see the kingsnakes and boa.

right behind ya

Not SD but...

Quote Originally Posted by mateoway
    A garter snake will pee on you when handled and it smells something awful don't get it on your gloves.rattle snakes will almost and I said almost always retreat although I've seen them attack on a few occasions .most will try to escape as fast as they can.
    Came across snake #3 on ride in OC yesterday. Boy he was a fatty - among the bigger ones I have seen.

Rode past him at speed. Stopped bike to take another look and he slithered back in tall grass (must have been "sunning" himself)
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Lots of snakes at Daley Ranch as well. I've seen more tracks than actual snakes lately, but I know they're out there (and will probably start seeing more as the temps go up). Most of the time they'll be sunning or just crossing the trail. As noted above, I wouldn't pick one up (hubby does all the time, but not the ones with rattlers). Stay away from anything making noise

mtbr member

Mostly harmless....

For the most part, Rattlers are very secretive. Even if you do come upon one, they will try their best to get away from you. If you leave them alone, they won't bother you. As for the Gopher and Cal King snakes, they may rattle their little tales (defense mechanism) but they are harmless. I have handled them all and have never had issues. If you are unsure of what kind of snake it is, it is best to stay away. The only venemous snake in California is the Rattle snake.

Hope this helps.

David

Lord of the Chainrings
    You see a lot of these Horned Toads at Flightline.
    They "spit" blood from their eye sockets.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    You see a lot of these Horned Toads at Flightline.
    They "spit" blood from their eye sockets.
    Those little guys are the coolest. Saw quite a large one on T9 last Friday. Actually, not a toad at all, but a Horned Lizard. Ahh there's where the photo came from http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/phry-cor.html

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member

Scary

Especially that one just above The bad snakes to be bitten by in Ca all have noticably larger heads than necks, rough scales and RATTLES; but it's best to let them all be.

ISO Gems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Wow... what species of snake is that one???

D

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mateoway
    The three snakes above are all commonly sighted in San Diego. Garter snake,Rattlesnake and the coolest of them all is the Rosy Boa. The Rattlesnake is the only one out of those three that is poisonous.

Just another Homer
    I've got an ex that lives in SD and yes she is a snake, very dangerous. If you see her run and don't look back.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Ya, right.
    Ya, they're definitely out. My buddy and I saw 5 rattlers in one ride at Lake Hodges last month. The biggest one was at least 4' long. Scary stuff. I saw a snake on my ride today I've never seen before. It's body was a red-ish color and it's head was black. Any ideas what kind it may be??
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Front Range, Colorado
    ssssssss
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-29-2006 at 07:38 PM.

high plains drifter

coachwhip

one of the fastest snakes in the nieghborhood.also called a red racer( not my picture)
    Last edited by mateoway; 05-29-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Ya, right.
    That looks like the one. He was a fast little dude too. I came around a corner and he was right in the middle of the trail. I got to look at him for about 2 seconds and then he was gone in the blink of an eye into the bushes.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Front Range, Colorado
    You know what kind of bike a snake likes best don't ya? Why a SS of course.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

generally speaking

Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix
    can someone tell me about snakes in san diego? i usually ride lake hodges (north), los penasquitos, and sycamore canyon. lately, i've been coming across a few snakes, and to be frank, they creep me out big time. so, for some peace of mind, i'm just really wondering if the snakes in those areas pose any sort of real threat.
    if you see the rattlers, you'll be fine. They don't really want anything to do with you. Even if they coil up and rattle at you, just give them some time and they'll go away. if they're kind of stubborn, toss a small pebble near them or squirt them with a bit of water and they'll get off the trail.

If they're stretched out and sunning, they're pretty lethargic and stoned so you'll be able to ride right on by. if you can't stop in time, try to go around them. if you can't, bunny hop them. just go right over them. usually they'll be okay but it's not worth the risk to yourself by stopping too close to one just 'cuz you may have run it over!

Last year at Penasquitos I've seen two of the biggest, fattest rattlers I've ever seen. These bad boys were easily the thickness of my arm!

From what I've heard, there are several species of rattlers here in SD. One of them is more reddish brown and he can get pretty large.

My fear is not for any snake on a trail, it's for those I can't see off of the trail when I'm crashing into the bushes............

YR

Lord of the Chainrings
    Has anyone on this thread ever been biten? ...or know of anyone who has?
    Last edited by Mudd; 05-31-2006 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    The Rattlers you're likely to see in the San Diego area are usually either Western or Western Diamondback rattlesnakes. They're usually tan/brown in the coloration of their patterns and there sure were some monster serpents in Los Penasquitos last year!

The one we haven't, and hope not to, seen in Los Pen, is the "Mojave". It's GREEN, and different from all other rattlers in the type of venom. If you see one, get a photo of it and report it. If you get bit by one, sit down, take a break & use your cell phone to call loved ones, very quickly. You WILL die and there is NO hope. It's true.

high plains drifter
    2 from this weekend

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    The Rattlers you're likely to see in the San Diego area are usually either Western or Western Diamondback rattlesnakes. They're usually tan/brown in the coloration of their patterns and there sure were some monster serpents in Los Penasquitos last year!

The one we haven't, and hope not to, seen in Los Pen, is the "Mojave". It's GREEN, and different from all other rattlers in the type of venom. If you see one, get a photo of it and report it. If you get bit by one, sit down, take a break & use your cell phone to call loved ones, very quickly. You WILL die and there is NO hope. It's true.
    If you have Verizon, forget the cell phone call. It doesn't work there. Guess you'll just have to die....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast