mtbr member

Smile Slow Snake season

The temperature drop slowed down the little buddies, make sure you dont run them over.
    I spotted a couple this weekend at Santa Rosa Plateau.
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Off topic, but do baby gopher snakes act like rattlers when scared? I noticed one on the road and when I tried to scare him of,f so he wouldn't get run over, it coiled up a struck at me. I rode off confused. Saw at least one more on the trail, and later an adult gopher which was easy to identify. Still not sure if that baby was a rattler, or it did a really good con job!

Anyway back on topic: they were all acting a bit lazy, and didn't react much if I rode around them.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Off topic, but do baby gopher snakes act like rattlers when scared? I noticed one on the road and when I tried to scare him of,f so he wouldn't get run over, it coiled up a struck at me. I rode off confused. Saw at least one more on the trail, and later an adult gopher which was easy to identify. Still not sure if that baby was a rattler, or it did a really good con job!

Anyway back on topic: they were all acting a bit lazy, and didn't react much if I rode around them.
    Answer: YES

Most snakes commonly wag their tail and get into a striking posture when alarmed and if the tail is resting on leaves or something that can make a sound, it may sound like a rattler. I've seen this happen at least 100,000 times with our local snakes like Kings, Gophers and Waters. Large Gophers hiss and act very aggrevated, it's really something to see. I caught a big Gopher recently, the one in my avatar. That snake put on such a show, you guys would have tripped out on it if I could have recorded it.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Something like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slow Snake season-dsc_02851.gif  

mtbr member
    "snakes... why did it have to be snakes?"
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!