mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SLO trail suggestions?

My wife and I ride Montana Del Oro every year but we'd like to hit some other trails in the area this weekend. Technical is a plus but fast buff singletrack is fun too. Any locals have suggestions? Any local bike shops we should check with while we're there? Also did they re-route the DH on the Ridge Trail at MDO? Anyone ride it yet? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This site has places to go.
    http://mountainbikeslocounty.com/

I have only done Poly Canyon, Montana De Oro, Cabrillo Peaks, and Cerro San Luis. I would like to check out some more. Can't wait to go back to visit my brother.

Shops in SLO. Cambria bikes and Art's Cyclery. I think there are a few more as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    personally, montana del oro is one of my favorite places to ride up there. the DH off the ridge is just great. they did make an option singletrack towards the top of that DH, but the only time i've ridden it it was brand new, loose, and super sketchy (almost fell off the cliff a few times cause the trail gave way ) they have done trailworks up there to finish it up and its rained a bit, so im sure its fine to ride.

in terms of other trails, it depends on how long you want to ride. poly canyon is fun, but theres lots of uninspiring fire road to go up. good training though.

theres lots of fun to be had on madonna mountain too: singletrack, Rock Garden (downhillish trail from the peak), fast fireroad, jumps etc.

as you probably already know, SLO has a silly amount of large pointy rocks, so fat tires are recommended.

for bike shops, theres cambria (has lots of cool bikes to look at like a sexy moots ybb), arts (good for accessories like pads, helmets, clothing, as well as lots of specialized bikes/parts) and foothill (not so many mountain bikes in the store, but definitely the best place to get something fixed IMO)

good luck and have fun

-Bryan

just along for the ride
    I'd avoid art's just a bunch of self centered farts there, but yes plenty of riding here like just about any where on the central coast. Enjoy your visit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

slo riding

Cerro Cabrillo and Black Mountain are just down the road outside Morro Bay and will offer some of both of what you want. The guys at CBO have a map of the area and are quite helpful about pointing stuff out. Irish Hills and Madonna are also in good shape....

Greg

just along for the ride
    I'm from Morro Bay and Black hill is getting very dry/loose and dusty. Cabrillo area is in much better shape since it has better rocky soils. For bigger climbs, Cerro Alto due to its exposure is probably in the best shape in the county right now. We can use some rain to improve conditions!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    im with you BT, we do need some rain around here. of course, theres still going to be a bunch of softball sized rocks in the middle of the trail, but whatre ya gonna do?