mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014

I rode Skyline to Beek's Place today. It was stupid hot, but I had the day off, so what the hell. I have ridden up this from both the Orange County side (via Blackstar Canyon) as well as my more preferred route, up Skyline Trail. This ride is all Fire-road going up, fairly steep and about a 5.6 mile climb to Beek's. There is just under 2,000 feet of gain in this 11.2 mile out and back. The road was typical loose over hard-pack, and just a long hot climb. I like to climb, and recently bought an Epic 29er which also likes to climb.

I recently converted it over to a 1X10 setup (as posted in other thread), and figured I would try it out on a long and sustained climb. I rode it the other day up Marshall from bottom to top, and as you know, there are a few climbs that were pretty hard (for me), but no H-A-B! Today was more of the same, but way more climbing than Marshall. The bike is extremely light and stiff, but still the 32 up front made a very tough climb. Still I managed, slowly grinding my way up the climb, setting goals as I saw a bit of shade for a 60 second rest. There was not much shade to be had.

Took the Camel-back, and had plenty of Ice water, as well as a ice cold bottle of Accelerade, a PB&J Samich, and a Gu shot. I have done this ride several times before, but the combination of extreme heat, and the lack of a smaller chain-ring, and it was fairly brutal. I refuse to walk any of it, and made it up to the top. Coming down I did a couple single-track sections that were very sandy and loose in places. Then back onto the fire road, where my Magura brakes howled as they became super-heated despite my efforts to cool them and not ride the brakes.

All in all, nothing technical or exciting, but still fun to push my body hard. I have done much more elevation gain rides, but this one got my attention with temps being so high. I do want to climb Santiago Peak via Main Divide Trail. I understand it is about 4,400 feet of climbing. Anyone else interested once it cools down a bit?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014-imag0175.jpg  

Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014-imag0167.jpg  

Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014-imag0165.jpg  

Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014-imag0172.jpg  

most memberable
    May 2011
    Is that Beek's Place in the second pic? Looks historical...what's the back-story?

Btw, wasn't there a Mr Beeks in Trading Places?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes, lots of history up there. check this link out...

Corona Heritage Park and Museum

official eMpTyBRain
    Good report, sounds like a grueling grind up to the top.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Good report, sounds like a grueling grind up to the top.
    Hawg, you even think about doin Santiago? I know you like to climb!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Hawg, you even think about doin Santiago? I know you like to climb!
    Sadly, I think about it more than I have time to do it.

Heck, I've been so busy lately that I bought a rad commuter bike a few days ago just so that I can launch from home for a quickie workout when I only have a few minutes to spare.

And no, I'm not becoming a "roadie"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014-dscn3301.jpg  

...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Sadly, I think about it more than I have time to do it.

Heck, I've been so busy lately that I bought a rad commuter bike a few days ago just so that I can launch from home for a quickie workout when I only have a few minutes to spare.

And no, I'm not becoming a "roadie"!
    Wow. Nice! I like the color.

Warrior's Society
    Was out there this afternoon.....started out at the Tree Farm on the OC side at 4:30....was really toasty on the first climb out of Blackstar. By the time I dropped down Skyline, the temps had come down and breeze started to blow. Climb back up Skyline is getting shorter and seems to go by quicker.

Ended up taking a detour out to Sierra Peak, before heading back down Blackstar.

Good ride.

Pretty quiet out there today.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

I eat cats
    I have never ridden to Beek's from the Corona side since I live in OC but I do climb up Black Star a few times a year. Beek's is a great resting spot and I love the story behind it, except for the fact that the family had to abandon it due to vandalism many years back.

There is a single track called Booby Traps that you can take for a little bit just off the fire road once you start heading down the BS side.

Here's a video from a ride I did in May with a killer song track on it.

http://m.pinkbike.com/video/357559/

(I can't embed it from my phone, will edit later and embed)

Skyline Trail to Beek's Place Ride Report 07/30/2014-image.jpg

Nice out there in the Spring:

And some old Indian sites if you know where to look:

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I actually just got into mtb'ing I have been riding from my house in eagle glen to skyline, I have tracked it up to the first point once thus far, I am familiar with all the trails there as I have hiked them all. I would like to do this soon! But the heat has been stopping me from attempting it! Solid job on your part!

mtbr member
    I leave these climbs for night riding until the temps drop. My last trip was up Skyline, down BS and back. Its my current favorite butt kicking workout on the SS when i just feel like mountain biking has been too much fun lately. lol. I personally find this easier than trekking across the Main Divide up to Santiago Peak since those ups are steeper than the gradual grind up BS.

When it cools down, or if you ever feel like a Sunday night slowish grind, i can try to pedal with you. BS to Motorway then up MS to Santiago Peak is another one that can break me. Again, reserved for every few months when i start to think i actually have legs. This ride proves that i don't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I leave these climbs for night riding until the temps drop. My last trip was up Skyline, down BS and back. Its my current favorite butt kicking workout on the SS when i just feel like mountain biking has been too much fun lately. lol. I personally find this easier than trekking across the Main Divide up to Santiago Peak since those ups are steeper than the gradual grind up BS.

When it cools down, or if you ever feel like a Sunday night slowish grind, i can try to pedal with you. BS to Motorway then up MS to Santiago Peak is another one that can break me. Again, reserved for every few months when i start to think i actually have legs. This ride proves that i don't.
    What kind of gear do you rock for night rides? I was actually thinking about picking up a solar flare x2 this weekend should be in by Wednesday. Otherwise I am down to ride nights not sure how I'll do to the dome to be honest, I'd consider myself strong but conditioned is another story lol. Tracking 15-18mile rides 2-4times a week for the past month. Should be ok, again I'm down to give it a shot!

I eat cats

Those are some good/big rides! Good for you. I'm happy with up BS to the ball and back.

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I'm with you on needing to be prepared for this. Santiago is no joke from what I hear, but I'm down. Perhaps as we head into Fall we can organize a ride up there. Looks like there are quite a few of us who live fairly local. I for one would like to see the So-Cal Forum be more active like the Nor-Cal one is. We have great riding too!

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I'm with you on needing to be prepared for this. Santiago is no joke from what I hear, but I'm down. Perhaps as we head into Fall we can organize a ride up there. Looks like there are quite a few of us who live fairly local. I for one would like to see the So-Cal Forum be more active like the Nor-Cal one is. We have great riding too!
    Count me in..

Edit - We could also do Holy Jim to Santiago Peak then back down

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Count me in..

Edit - We could also do Holy Jim to Santiago Peak then back down
    Sounds great Gordon!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well living in the high desert i know all about how that HEAT can ruin your rides...I experienced same thing couple of times! Had plenty of water, food, shot blocks and even hydrate everyday. Once over 90 my body just cant handle it very well. Early morning or evening time works best for me. Oh I can't wait for winter time
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After living and riding in Socal for 20 years i finally rode up Skyline to the Dopler a few times in the past month. Started riding my MTB a lot more to help with my Road training. Tired of being a Clyde and slow uphill so climbing for an hour straight helps that quite a bit.
    "Go that way really, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."
    Charles De Mar

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Few weeks back, I finally made the trip up to the radar! sadly I wrecked on the way down! Don't want to hi-jack the thread so I posted a new one here:

First MTB Crash! (Skyline)