mtbr member

Skills Coaching? Experience with Lopes?

Wondering if anyone has paid for some coach lessons/skills training? If yes, were you glad you did it?

Has anyone done lessons with Brian Lopes? If yes, how was the experience? (No doubt the guy is possibly one of the best riders to ever have existed, just don't know if that transfers to being able to teach.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've done 1-1 with Richard from https://sandiegomountainbikeskills.com/ and found it really valuable. I've also considered working with Lopes. As with any coach, I imagine a lot of it comes down to knowing exactly what you want to learn and coming prepared with questions -- 3 hours goes by really fast and you want to pack as much value as you can, since unless you're a pretty new rider you aren't gonna be following a basic set curriculum. For example, "i feel bad on right-hand flat turns" or "teach me to whip"

I also have a sub to www.ryanleech.com and if you're willing to be more self-guided, it's actually quite good. Lots of videos that are of much higher quality than what you find on youtube, and you can send them recordings of yourself to analyze.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olslash View Post
    I've done 1-1 with Richard from https://sandiegomountainbikeskills.com/ and found it really valuable. I've also considered working with Lopes. As with any coach, I imagine a lot of it comes down to knowing exactly what you want to learn and coming prepared with questions -- 3 hours goes by really fast and you want to pack as much value as you can, since unless you're a pretty new rider you aren't gonna be following a basic set curriculum. For example, "i feel bad on right-hand flat turns" or "teach me to whip"

I also have a sub to www.ryanleech.com and if you're willing to be more self-guided, it's actually quite good. Lots of videos that are of much higher quality than what you find on youtube, and you can send them recordings of yourself to analyze.
    Very good point about coming prepared with questions. Thank you!

Also appreciate the feedback on Leech's site. I looked at it very briefly a few years ago and forgot about it. Probably wouldn't be a bad way to start with some basics atleast.

Thanks again!