mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Skill progression in OC

I've been riding Peter's canyon trail 3-5 times a week for about 5 months now. It is my first dirt riding since BMX as a pre-teen. I'm to the point now where I can bomb the whole ride down minus one really steep hill section (that I can't yet climb either), and of course I slow down around the blind corners.

I want to increase my skill level, and stay somewhat local. Anybody have suggestions as to what other trails that I should visit that are slightly more challenging than Peters, but not to the point where I kill myself?

Perhaps a ladder of trails from easy to difficult that I can climb as my skill level goes up?

mtbr member
    you can try out santiago oaks which is just down the street... there are 2 steep climbs that are fairly short. the downhills are fairly fast with some rocks and drops to keep you on your toes

http://robotkiller.zenfolio.com/img/...63902273-5.jpg

corporate monkey
    Jul 2007

Aliso

You should really check out Aliso Wood Canyons.
    Geoladders.com has quite a few routes you could check out. There are usually a lot of riders in Aliso and maps posted everywhere so getting lost shouldn't be an issue.
    I'd suggest you start from the park off of Canyon Vistas and ride straight up Cholla. You might try a route like THIS ONE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    second on santiago oaks