mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SJT Update_Friday

I rode San Juan Trail today. Not too bad up to cocktail rock. Some of the gully crossings between the lower and middle switchbacks are a lot worse, and some pretty bad ruts have formed. Past cocktail rock on old San Juan Trail (going clockwise) was not as bad as expected. There were some pretty mushy spots in the meadows that I walked out of fear of damaging the trail. The big surprise was coming back to cocktail rock (the section past the Viejo Tie trail sign, still going clockwise). This section is basically blown out with ruts and trenches. It will take a long time before this section returns to "normal." You might want to turn around at cocktail rock, or, at least go counter-clockwise until you're convinced the trail is pretty wasted and then turn around and head back.

1) A typical newly formed rut after the middle switchbacks.
    2) A dislodged boulder at the final switchback before the final climb up to cocktail rock.
    3) The once rideable gully just before you pop out into the meadows after the long downhill though the oak trees.

[paste title here]
    Nice shots. I remember walking past that rock on the way up. I wonder how (if) they're going to move it. Im hoping to head out there again soon.
    Keep Pedaling