tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

SJT conditions and trail choice

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the conditions of SJT?

Also, if I go right at Cocktail Rocks, then turn rt on Viejo Tie, could I come back to Cocktail Rocks by making a left where Viejo Tie and San Juan come together?

thanks,
    -tep

mechmann_mtb
    sjt is pretty much always the same.

if you make a wrong turn you can wind up down on ortega. just make sure you turn left on chiquito, that will take you back up to san juan. if you find the trail goes off a big granite cliff, that is the waterfall and you need to backtrack and take chiquito back up.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Hope

mechmann, thanks for the heads-up. A couple of questions is you don't mind.

1) is the junction of Viejo Tie and Chiquito coming up from the way I discribed well marked? Or am I more than likely just going to blow by it? And if I do blow by it how much further down the trail is the waterfall?

Once I do make a left onto Chiquito from Viejo Tie, is it all climbing back to San Juan? and if so, would it be better to do SJT to Chiquito to Viejo Tie?

I've only ridden SJT proper, going left at Cocktail Rocks making the loop and back down. So I'm trying to get some extra mileage in and not wanting to get lost while getting the most bang for my buck.....if that makes any sense.

-tep

mtbr member
    The trails are pretty well marked.

If you stay on San Juan all the way up to Blue Jay then loop back down to Old San Juan and back, that's a good loop. Chiquito Viejo Tie offer some great technical riding but you'll be adding some climbs if you do. Check Geoladders for maps/routes.

C