Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Simi Valley to the beach route?

So, one of my favorite rides is to start at the Long Canyon trail head at the south side of Wood Ranch in Simi Valley and come out at Chesebro and the 101 freeway in Agoura Hills. I was thinking, that I could keep going and go all the way to the beach. I could hop on Agoura Rd. to Hampshire to Westlake Blvd. to Potrero Rd and Wendy Dr. in Newbury Park and take Sycamore Canyon to the beach. But, Sycamore Canyon to the beach is pretty boring. So, my question is: Is there a more fun route to get to the beach from Chesebro and the 101 without going up and into Calabasas?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bell canyon/Rocketdyne side is basically Lasvirgenes, that's calabasas mulhollad though.. OPark side, think between Lindero and Kanan is closed Edison trail but I have never tried. Looked for an outlet on Forest cove side long time ago and it was all blocked off

*Any trails away from Cheese say on TO side of Westlake blvd down to TO blvd? Think there's connector behind where Kmart used to be, if not there used to be one near a park off Triunfo

mtbr member
    I think you could also get into Los Robles from Triunfo Park by Hampshire. Not sure how you'd actually get down to the beach other than eventually doing Sycamore, but Cheese, Space Mtn then Sycamore would be a heckava ride.
    Last edited by PerfectZero; 12-06-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Im interested in doing this...not sure on the route over the Santa Monicas, but if you did end up surrenduring to the Sycamore route you could always ride the Sunset Hills trail to Sunset Hills Blvd over to olsen, then down past CLU to the Santa Rosa trail, through Wildwood to Lynn via Lynnmre Trail, then Lynn to some of the Dos vientos stuff im not familiar with, then over to Syc (wood canyon to Guadalasca, down Backbone to the sea. That would be an epic ride for sure.

mtbr member
    I might as well just ride to Moab then. My little legs can only take me so far.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, that'd be a one way trip right thurrrr. Either way, if you end up doing this hit me up if you're interested in having some partners in crime. The route over China Flat to Cheesey is one of my Fav rides but I dont know a reasonable way to link some of the Kanan stuff to the ocean without pissing off some homeowners. Maybe someone will chime in.

mtbr member
    ^ Right on!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    I dont know a reasonable way to link some of the Kanan stuff to the ocean without pissing off some homeowners. Maybe someone will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I might as well just ride to Moab then. My little legs can only take me so far.

That would be a secret passage..def don't take the old womans driveway on the robles side, be nice to her, she will run you down!

mtbr member
    I do this ride 2-3 times a month; and depending on boredom level the route of choice. Be advice though that if you are starting at Woodranch you will have to hit the road at some point to and from.

I don't know about your fitness level but this is definately a long ride with some mild to steep climbs, so plan your feed accordingly.

While you are at the top of Woodranch in China Flats instead of going down Palo Comado you can take Dead Cow directly down to Lyndero Rd. Go south to Agoura Rd. Turn right and go west to Triunfo Cyn where you will make a left and head south to Triunfo Park.

Los Robles trail starts here and you can take it west. After approximately 5miles Los Robles West will fork out to Potrero on the left. Potrero spits you out directly on to the corner of Potrero Rd and Wendy Dr. Sycamore Cyn is right before your eyes. The trail is accross the street and takes you out to the beach.

You can plan on someone picking you up there or you can comeback on the road. Of course if endurance is your forte then comeback the same way.

Disclaimer: you assume all responsibilities, check a map, routes, this is only a summary and there are many small details that you are responsible for verifying prior to embarking on this ride...trails merge, single tracks have to be follow to fireroads, gates must be opened and closed, pedestrians on trails, wild animals, cars, etc.

I am an illegal inmigrant and when I smell trouble I jump the border back so good luck suing me...

Have fun

mtbr member
    Fitness level isn't a problem.

That sounds like a pretty good route. It would break up the 14 miles on the road from Chesebro and the 101 to Potrero and Wendy, a little bit.

Thanks
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    there's also a secret tunnel under Kanan in the vicinity of Lindero
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    there's also a secret tunnel under Kanan in the vicinity of Lindero
    They run parallel to each other, don't they?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Oh, I get it. The actual canyon and not the road, I think.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    They're mostly parallel, but Kanan turns in Oak Park and intersects Lindero sort of near where Dead Cow comes down from China Flats.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, up there. Forgot about that. Im up there all the time to. Duh!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's a long ride!! I've done long canyon to chesebro but had to get shuttled back. You guys are crazy fit.

mtbr member
    Oh, believe me, I won't be setting the trail on fire. It will be chug up hill as slow as I can and coast down the hills to rest, and take a few breaks to down protein bars and water.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    you can also bypass the Long Cyn to Dead Cow leg and head west from the parking lot to Westlake Blvd. You can then go all the way down to Triunfo Park.

Another more common route is to go straight down to the end of Moorpark Rd instead of climbing the single track leg at Triunfo Park. This does involve a bit more road, however depending on time of day and day of week, how much traffic you'll find. From Westlake Blvd. take Los Arboles Rd heading west and hang a left at Moorpark Rd. Go to the end of it and hit Los Robles West.

Hit me up and maybe we can make it happen, I can sign some other buddies to come along.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1 View Post
    you can also bypass the Long Cyn to Dead Cow leg and head west from the parking lot to Westlake Blvd. You can then go all the way down to Triunfo Park.

Another more common route is to go straight down to the end of Moorpark Rd instead of climbing the single track leg at Triunfo Park. This does involve a bit more road, however depending on time of day and day of week, how much traffic you'll find. From Westlake Blvd. take Los Arboles Rd heading west and hang a left at Moorpark Rd. Go to the end of it and hit Los Robles West.

Hit me up and maybe we can make it happen, I can sign some other buddies to come along.

I am your Huckleberry Hozzerr
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Great!

That's one, I can count on two more.

mtbr member
    My primary goal is to start at Long Cyn and come out at Chesebro and the 101, I just love that ride. Second goal is to find a more exciting route, besides Sycamore Cyn., to the beach. Triunfo or Los Robles sounds good.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mtbr.com ate my last reply, must have been too long, so I'll shorten it. From Cheeseboro and the 101, head east on Agoura Road to Liberty Canyon, turn right, and ride down to Malibu Creek State Park. Ride through MCSP to Tapia Park, exit Tapia, cross the bridge, climb Mesa Peak Motorway. At the top, if you turn left you'll descend Puerco Canyon Motorway about 2/3 of the way to PCH before being collared by private security guards - James Cameron now owns the bottom of Puerco, and he has SERIOUSLY closed it off. His guards will call the Sheriff, and the sheriffs will shuttle you (don't know about your bike, though) the rest of the way down the hill so they can book you. Back at the top of Mesa Peak, you could turn right and take Castro Motorway over to Corral Canyon. You can also reach Corral by climbing Bulldog from MCSP and turning left on Castro Motorway at the top. You can descend Corral Canyon Road, which is paved but fun to descend anyhow, all the way to PCH. You could also take Backbone west from the Corral Canyon parking lot to Latigo Canyon Road, and descend Latigo to PCH. You could continue on Backbone past Latigo to Kanan, but Kanan is boring as both a climb and as a descent, so don't take Kanan all the way to the beach. Instead, take Kanan about one and a quarter miles south to a dirt road on the right. This is the Zuma Edison Road, and will climb south and west over the ridge (*and pass a trail, more about this later) before dropping into Zuma Canyon. Make sure you've got the legs for this, as the climb out of Zuma Canyon is harsh heading west and brutal heading east. Continue westward, climb out of Zuma Canyon, and at the ridge you'll be on Zuma Ridge Motorway. Turn left and take this all the way down to Busch Drive in Malibu, and take Busch downhill to hit PCH right next to the entrance to Zuma Beach. *Back at that trail - on Kanan, there's another dirt road about half a mile (more?) south of Zuma Edison Road, called Kanan Edison Road, which climbs a bit above Kanan and then parallels Kanan all the way down to Cavalleri Road in Malibu. A short connector trail runs from this road up to Zuma Edison Road, which it hits a quarter-mile north of where Zuma Edison Road goes around the ridge and starts downhill. The Kanan Edison Road sort of quits at a field, and you turn right to reach Cavalleri or it might be possible to turn left and drop directly to Kanan - might be a couple hundred feet of hiking in here, if the field hasn't been plowed lately. Don't take Canyon View Trail west from Kanan Edison Road! Canyon View is horses-only and is an ocean of deep horsepoop-smelling silt, totally disgusting. If you choose Cavalleri, turn left at the pavement and continue to the gates - there's an opening on the right (?) side you and your bike can fit through, then descend Kanan to PCH. Now, let's back up a bit, back up to where Backbone hits Kanan. If you continue westward on Backbone from Kanan, you'll hit a dirt road named Buzzard Roost Ranch Road. Turn left, climb this road past the turn-off to Buzzard Roost Ranch (duh) at the summit, and the road becomes Zuma Ridge Motorway! You're now looking at a frighteningly fast descent to Busch Drive, as the top of Zuma Ridge is loose in spots.

That's all I've got. Don't descend west of Zuma Ridge, into Trancas Canyon, nor should you head south on Trancas Canyon Motorway from Encinal Canyon Road - a large avalanche took out part of Trancas Canyon Motorway 20+ years ago, and it was abandoned, so it no longer reaches the coast. There may be a legal way to descend PART of Puerco, and there might be a way to legally decend Ramera Motorway, but I haven't sleuthed out those routes yet. Good luck in your search.

mtbr member
    Wow, my heads spinning and my legs already hurt!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Rode from Triunfo Park on Los Robles to Portrero and back yesterday and i had some thoughts.

This is a medium length ride, my iPhone lost reception (AT&T sucks) so I turned off Strava and don't have an exact distance but I'm guessing it's around 26 miles.

Los Robles is a fun and unique trail both up and down, with some fast and flowy singletrack that reminds me of sections of SJT and Mt. Wilson mixed with irish hills in SLO, with fire road climbs and descents thrown in, too. I'm rehabing a broken wrist and honestly this trail was probably too much too soon, I went really slow and picked through all the little rock gardens but still had a great time, can't wait to ride it healthy, thank jesus for inventing advil.

I had planned on riding all the way to Sycamore Canyon at PCH but didnt start until 1pm and I got lost once for a couple miles, and my arm was hurting so I decided to cut the ride a bit short and turn back at Portero. I'm looking forward to coming back in a couple weeks and going all the way to the beach and riding some trails around there, that should be a good ride.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    PM me when you decide to tackle this again...dont mind taking it easy just want to accomplish it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast