mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Shuttling Calavera mountain-A DREAM COME TRUE!

As of today, the city of carlsbad has approved the construction of a road being paved up the west side of the Calavera Preserve mountain. This will allow shuttle service for mountain bikers, and also create a way for the elderly and infirm to enjoy the beautiful scene from the top without making a treacherous climb. Thanks to sdmba and CNLM for making this dream come true!!!! Can't wait to ride without having to pedal up...possible snack shack and souveniers shop at the top being put in to offset construction costs also!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Hmm, I think there will be alot of mixed feelings on this one.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    mannnn, isn't anyone paying attention to Copenhagen?

Ther should be a solar powered bike lift!

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by powder
    This will allow shuttle service for mountain bikers,
    and also create a way for the elderly and infirm to enjoy the beautiful scene from the top
    Yeah, I see no conflicts over this................

Don't get me wrong, the same conflicts would happen without shuttling but the ability to shuttle just means more use. I hope it works out.

YR

See you at the top.
    I took this for full on sarcastic joke with a vertical drop of 300 feet.
    Don't be the 13th inch. Keep single track single!

mtbr member
    whats the heights peak at calaveras and were is it located

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As of today, the city of carlsbad has approved the construction of a road being paved up the west side of the Calavera Preserve mountain. This will allow shuttle service for mountain bikers, and also create a way for the elderly and infirm to enjoy the beautiful scene from the top without making a treacherous climb. Thanks to sdmba and CNLM for making this dream come true!!!! Can't wait to ride without having to pedal up...possible snack shack and souveniers shop at the top being put in to offset construction costs also!
    Do me a favor. Rather then make moronic comments like you did why not make yourself useful and clue everyone in as to how you discovered a paved road was approved. Rather then sitting anonymously behind your keyboard why not try contacting SDMBA and alerting them, me, that such an egregious thing is happening.

Do me a favor help us, all of us (that includes yourself), by making a constructive effort to be a part of the solution. Making baseless comments that offer no solution and don't assist the only group that stands behind access for mtn biking and works tirelessly for you makes you the fool.

Step up. Quit playing the fool. Tell us how you heard of this or from whom. Going public on forums such as this with info that is even half correct is a big step to getting something started. Collectively we can work together more efficiently. It is impossible to be everywhere and have your finger in every pie. I will check back to see and hear what you know. Give us the facts.

Taffy15

dft
    mtbr member
    lame, tiny vertical there, who cares. like shuttling ted willy, climbers can beat the shuttlers there.

Beer Please!
    @powder

/sigh
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

wow

woah...don't blame the messenger

mtbr member
    The one paved road I read last year that was approved at some point during one of the many lawsuits and/or negotiations over the high school and nearby housing developments, College/Cannon road extensions, was an easement for a paved maintenance road to the water tank on the West side. But there's already a dirt road going up to it now and there's remnants of old roads sprinkled around there, whether that's the eventual route is not known.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do the elderly and infirmed really need another activity? I thought they were still trying out all 100 of the handicapped parking space options in front of Home Depot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I call BS.

My wife is on our HOA board in Carlsbad and at a meeting last night two city counsel members were present. After the meeting I asked both about this plan and they just laughed.

Apparently the rumors have cropped up recently, but that's all they are ... rumors. The plan was briefly considered in the past, but was shot down for numerous reasons and is not considered an open item. Bottom line: this is NOT going to happen. A "snack shack"? Really?

The original post is just plain odd in my eyes. The climb is "treacherous"? If that's the case, what would you call some of the other climbs around the county? If you think this climb is bad, please stay away from Anderson, etc. A "dream come true"? For who? You reference SDMBA -- do you see a reference to this great "news" on their site? I didn't think so. Honestly, I'd be careful associating groups with things that aren't real ... they tend not to like that.

On one hand, I appreciate people providing information and opinions on this board. On the other hand, it's irresponsible to post things like this with no basis or hint as to where the information came from. "Powder" - you say you're just the messenger. If that's the case, the insinuation is that you received the information from someone else. Please provide the source of your information -- that should allow us to confirm or debunk your story pretty easily. If this is a reality, I'd love to confirm it and get the details. Or, if the more likely option is true, we can stop the prolifferation of false and erroneous information right away.

All that said, based on my level of local involvement and my conversations with city counsel members, I have to say the notion of a shuttle road up Calavera is a far cry from reality.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So I thought this was pretty clearly a joke...with obvious sarcasm. But then intent isn't often clear on the net, and misinterpretation common on subjects people feel strongly about. FWIW, just in case there was something remotely to it, I searched the whole list of projects on the City's website, and saw nothing like it, not even paving the tower road. Saw other stuff near Calaveras (housing, more antennas), but not this.

mtbr member
    At some point the City of Carlsbad requested or sued the school district for the road below(from a Preserve Calavera website pdf);

"D - 38 Access road to water tank The City of Carlsbad requested a 30' easement road to the water tank, with 12' wide AC paving and curbs. The response is that a road will be provided and the District will negotiate with the City regarding its width. This FEIR did not include sufficient information to qualify as adequate CEQA review for any modifications to this road. Widening, paving, and curbs could all add adverse impacts that have not been identified or mitigated. The FEIR needs to specifically identify what changes, if any, will be made to this road, or state that any such future changes are not within the scope of this EIR."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey, good research Jack! I checked their site but didn't find that. So, as you said, there was at one time, or may still be, a plan to pave/repave the existing road to the water tower. Doesn't bother me much if they do, even if 12' wide w/ curbs is a little much. It won't eliminate any singletrack. (Not that other plans won't). So I guess Powder's sarcasm was real, but the object wasn't -- no road to the "peak". Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Alas, the more I think about it, the more I think OldDogDan is right ... this is just so ridiculous that it had to be a joke and / or sarcasm from the start. I didn't mean to fuel the fire ... I just wanted to get the info strait.

In any event, it seems like we're all on the same page now. Whatever happens, I'll still be riding Calavera Hills and I'm sure most of the people who've posted to this thread will, too.

See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oops should've included this link to the pdf

http://www.preservecalavera.org/docs...eir_jan_09.pdf

Glad to Be Alive
    300 feet???? come on
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    300 feet???? come on
    lol.. now thats funny shuttle for 300 feet
    i climb to Stanley peak at daily ranch like 3 times a week and thats around 2000 feet but i start from like 600 feet i think. well from my house.

Beer Please!
    If you guys don't know by now, Powder like to stir things up and is a major troll on this site.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Angry White Male
    My BS detector just broke its needle.