Thread: Shuttle Runs

mtbr member

Shuttle Runs

Hey people, I ride mostly around claremont (LA east suburbs), and I have lately been less happy about grinding up the hills on my big bike. Have any of you discovered any interesting shuttle-able downhills since Big Bear died? I dont need huge stunts or drops necessarily, just an interesting trail. I also dont want to drive real far since i have to take 2 cars. I would take fast and flowy over super tech if possible. Include good directions.

mtbr member
    Have you ever done Mt wilson or Sturdevent ? Bring your bike some armor & be willing to shuttle or pick up. There will be 3 or more more riders If interested be at JPL between 6:30 & 7:00 am.Take 210 to Arroyo go right 2 blocks parking lot on the left cant miss it

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gez & VPfree
    Have you ever done Mt wilson or Sturdevent ? Bring your bike some armor & be willing to shuttle or pick up. There will be 3 or more more riders If interested be at JPL between 6:30 & 7:00 am.Take 210 to Arroyo go right 2 blocks parking lot on the left cant miss it
    How often do you guys do Mt. Wilson? I'm game...! My Honda can carry 3 bikes with thru axles, and two bikes by fork mounts. Problem is, I never know my schedule 'till Saturdays.
    Usually mid-week mornings. I've got some short shuttle runs on my side of the jungle too.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

mtbr member
    2 or 3 times amonth .Tunnel & cole springs in SB every couple of months.Just show up on sunday morning you might be able to hitch a ride.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gez & VPfree
    Wilson is always a fun ride. I've been driving from HB all the way over there to shuttle with my friends almost every weekend for the last couple of months!

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Big Bear Fall Out

This is exactly the kind of fall out that was expected with the death of Big Bear. I don't want to label all shutters so don't get all defensive. I encourage you all to be respectful out there, yield right of way to hikers and horses, don't destroy the trail by sliding into turns, and be vocal around blind turns. The trails in the Angeles are a threatened species. The last thing we need is to have these trails closed due to the disrespect of a few bad riders. Oh yeah head out and do some trail work sometime this summer. It's cleansing for the soul.

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    This is exactly the kind of fall out that was expected with the death of Big Bear. I don't want to label all shutters so don't get all defensive. I encourage you all to be respectful out there, yield right of way to hikers and horses, don't destroy the trail by sliding into turns, and be vocal around blind turns. The trails in the Angeles are a threatened species. The last thing we need is to have these trails closed due to the disrespect of a few bad riders. Oh yeah head out and do some trail work sometime this summer. It's cleansing for the soul.
    YES DAD>j/k
    No seriously this is a good point and good idea to post it here. Just try not to come off like you've never displaced a grain of dirt in your life.
    We need to be very aware that we are all very lucky to still have ANYWHERE to ride since the big bear 'fallout'.
    Trailwork is a good idea too, especially since the crazy rains. I've been injured more doing trailwork this year than I have from riding my bike!!!!!
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    YES DAD>j/k
    No seriously this is a good point and good idea to post it here. Just try not to come off like you've never displaced a grain of dirt in your life.
    We need to be very aware that we are all very lucky to still have ANYWHERE to ride since the big bear 'fallout'.
    Trailwork is a good idea too, especially since the crazy rains. I've been injured more doing trailwork this year than I have from riding my bike!!!!!
    Yeah, seriously. Come on mtnfriend, how about being an mtbfriend? I know what you're trying to say, but "Big Bear fallout"? Give me a break! So it's o.k. to ride up and down the mountain, but it's not o.k. to just ride down it? JSUN's right; sounds like you've never displaced a grain of dirt in your life.

suspension whore
    wear bells on your bikes too, lots of hikers....
    I love those trails - we need to keep 'em open

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    wear bells on your bikes too, lots of hikers....
    I love those trails - we need to keep 'em open
    I'm with Matthew. I think putting bells on your bike is the simplest thing to do, and, for those who haven't done so already, you get TONS of compliments from hikers and other riders on how courteous that is! Even when I'm just riding Woods Canyon trail at Aliso I get compliments on it from others.

Go to a feed store, or call you LBS and get them to start carrying bells!

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    "Just try not to come off like you've never displaced a grain of dirt in your life."

Wasn't trying to. I just get upset when I see trails destroyed by anyone: shuttler, XC, freerider, or otherwise. Yes I have done my fair share of sliding into turns when I was a newbe but I have seen the error in my ways. It takes practice to improve ones skills and it's something we should strive for. It's not acceptable for an advanced rider to slide into turns and be rude on the trail.

mtbr member
    I've been riding those trails for 2 years now ,the longest I've been without a bell, 3days.The others I ride with most have them to because we ride S.B. About once a week I climb to brown mt,then do preito.In the summer I do chaney to upper merrel.after work. In the 2 years I have yet to see a X- country rider thats going to fast down a fire road with a bell. So mtfrind do you have a bell?Yes ,we yeild to other trail users, and been complemented for the bells.Like they say, put up or shut up. As far as fall out I haven't seen any new faces yet at JPL.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Yep

""Big Bear fallout"? Give me a break! So it's o.k. to ride up and down the mountain, but it's not o.k. to just ride down it? JSUN's right; sounds like you've never displaced a grain of dirt in your life."

Yeah I would say Big Bear fallout. Realizing that not every one falls into this category, but shuttle riders tend to ride bikes that allow them to ride at higher speeds, brake latter into turns, which in turn increase their likelihood of damaging trails and scarring other that use the trail. Sure not all, or maybe even not most, do this. However it only takes a few. Many of these riders used to go to Big Bear to ride. Maybe not all the time but to ride DH oriented bike.

My point was that this is not acceptable riding technique. Call me a preacher, dad, lecture, etc. whatever. I don't really care. If even one person takes a second to realize the damage caused by such activities and tries to minimize their impact on the trail while riding then the time it took me to write this post was well worth it. It's because of the encouragement of others that I now take the time to think of such things.

mtbr member
    I think we've all gave our own views ,so shut up and ride

mtbr member
    I know that at home in DC there are several bikes only trail networks and even there where erosion is less of an issue it is considered poor form to lock one's brakes under any circumstances. I think as much fun as it is to drift a fast turn, we make better multi use trail users when we just dont ever lock up that back brake. The only time you would do it is for cornering. . . even emergency braking is more effective with both wheels engaged with the ground, so just dont do it unless you absolutely have to to keep from killing yourself. Some dude walking up the trail with his dog and his little kids is less likely to be freaked about by a bike that is not moving sideways and spraying gravel in his face. You can still go fast, but make it look pretty and in control like you're supposed to.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tunnel and Cold Springs are probably what you're looking for...

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I almost Forgot...

I can't believe I forgot this one--Bootleg Canyon in Boulder, NV. The local bike shop does shuttle runs, and the trails and jumps are a lot of fun. Just don't forget your pads! Some of these trails are not joke!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend

just like above always wear Bells on your bike too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days