Trying to find Flow

Shootout at Blackstar!

I'm currently sitting here in front of my computer without transportation becuase my vehicle is stuck smack dab in the middle of the crime scence. Started at the gate at Blackstar about 10:45 and did Blackstar - Main Divide - Motorway - out Silverado. When I got to the intersection of Blackstar and Silverado I was met by a sheriff with an M-16 who said I couldn't enter. Meanwhile, a steady stream of SWAT vans and other police vehicles were speeding down Blackstar Road while helicoptors buzzed around overhead. I thought I was in Baghdad.

Apparently, some guy shot a Sheriff's deputy at 11:10, at least that's what I found online. Lot's of people at the scene who were privy to the news crews and their police scanners were saying it was Art Tuttle. You guys know that guy? Apparently he's the one always threatening bikers and hikers using the Blackstar access - says it's his property. From what I was hearing from a Nature Conservatory docent, there were originally two nutters - Blackstar Bill, who's since been evicted, and this guy.

Anyone have any information or stories about run-ins with this guy? I read that he shot at several people today, and it kind of makes me wonder how close I was to being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I thought I only had to worry about Mountain Lions.
    Last edited by Patchito; 06-12-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    I'm currently sitting here in front of my computer without transportation becuase my vehicle is stuck smack dab in the middle of the crime scence. Started at the gate at Blackstar about 10:45 and did Blackstar - Main Divide - Motorway - out Silverado. When I got to the intersection of Blackstar and Silverado I was met by a sheriff with an M-16 who said I couldn't enter. Meanwhile, a steady stream of SWAT vans and other police vehicles were speeding down Blackstar Road while helicoptors buzzed around overhead. I thought I was in Baghdad.

Apparently, some guy shot a Sheriff's deputy at 11:10, at least that's what I found online. Lot's of people at the scene who were privy to the news crews and their police scanners were saying it was Art Tuttle. You guys know that guy? Apparently he's the one always threatening bikers and hikers using the Blackstar access - says it's his property. From what I was hearing from a Nature Conservatory docent, there were originally two nutters - Blackstar Bill, who's since been evicted, and this guy.

Anyone have any information or stories about run-ins with this guy? I read that he shot at several people today, and it kind of makes me wonder how close I was to being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I thought I only had to worry about Mountain Lions.
    I understand wanting protect what you perceive to be your property, but this guys a loonie!!!
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Just passing through....
    O.K., got a little more info from today's newspaper. Apparently this guy shot a sheriffs deputy (he was flying the helicopter) and another person, sniper style. Fortunately, neither appears to be life threatening. Another shot missed a guys head by 6".
    Sheriffs ended up shooting the guy dead.

Action Sports Trader

Freak

Hey,

Me and my dad had a run in with some freak out there a few years back. He approched us with a shot gun and said that he didn't like people using his road. Hell, it might be the same freak. Damm trailor trash!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patchito

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by samanderson4
    Hey,

Me and my dad had a run in with some freak out there a few years back. He approched us with a shot gun and said that he didn't like people using his road. Hell, it might be the same freak. Damm trailor trash!!!
    I've also been given warning shots over my head. Each time on reporting it to the authorities they had told me to blow off. That I should not be there was thier answer. The second time I called the operator (regular sheriff not 911) I was threatend with arrest for harrassing the Cops not for harassing Blackstar residents . Where I took the same option as being shot at, RUN before it gets worse. Gee wiz what are they hiding up there?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    I've also been given warning shots over my head. Each time on reporting it to the authorities they had told me to blow off. That I should not be there was thier answer. The second time I called the operator (regular sheriff not 911) I was threatend with arrest for harrassing the Cops not for harassing Blackstar residents . Where I took the same option as being shot at, RUN before it gets worse. Gee wiz what are they hiding up there?

Well heck.....Now that they've been kind enough to clear it out for you, you can go back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Any links?

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Local knowledge is that it wasn't Tuttle. Tuttle has been MIA for a bit as it is and there is rumor that he may be selling his "ranch" and moving up north after his parents' recent demise.

Although not confirmed, the person killed was not well known in the canyon area and may have been an outsider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g c
    Local knowledge is that it wasn't Tuttle. Tuttle has been MIA for a bit as it is and there is rumor that he may be selling his "ranch" and moving up north after his parents' recent demise.

Although not confirmed, the person killed was not well known in the canyon area and may have been an outsider.

Harry Brown, an outsider according to ch 4 news

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    Sheriffs ended up shooting the guy dead.
    Well now, glad to see the police doing their part for trail safety!

Black Star - Silverado is a great loop. For those who have never tried it
    Click Here

Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice site bill ... sounds like a lot of uphill, non-technical road riding to get to 2 miles of downhill single-track. However, it appears as though the views make it all worth it. Sounds like a fun ride - but I'm down in San Diego...would it be worth the treck? Just wondering?

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    Nice site bill ... sounds like a lot of uphill, non-technical road riding to get to 2 miles of downhill single-track. However, it appears as though the views make it all worth it. Sounds like a fun ride - but I'm down in San Diego...would it be worth the treck? Just wondering?
    Not till october will the flies mellow enough to enjoy it.

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    In regards to Mr. Tuttle, he is a good guy. There has been a little confusion about who is who in Black star canyon. There is definitly one dirt bag in Black star, he grows a very valuable plant that has a pretty good price tag on the street.This guy would not hesitate to shoot you! The sniper was a guy from texas ( oc register 06/15/04 ). Mr. Tuttle has invited me to his place several times. He is a simple guy that likes the country life style. There have been developers that are trying to get his property ( which means no more mtb riding ).
    There is alot of private property out there, so make friends with Mr. Tuttle, stay away from the other guy! Lets try to keep areas open and not close down any more... ride safe!

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by OCSD
    In regards to Mr. Tuttle, he is a good guy. There has been a little confusion about who is who in Black star canyon. There is definitly one dirt bag in Black star, he grows a very valuable plant that has a pretty good price tag on the street.This guy would not hesitate to shoot you! The sniper was a guy from texas ( oc register 06/15/04 ). Mr. Tuttle has invited me to his place several times. He is a simple guy that likes the country life style. There have been developers that are trying to get his property ( which means no more mtb riding ).
    There is alot of private property out there, so make friends with Mr. Tuttle, stay away from the other guy! Lets try to keep areas open and not close down any more... ride safe!
    What ? This is a nonsense post. OCSD is not real.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you know Mr. Tuttle so well ? What does he look like?

Samsonite Tester
    If you know Mr. Tuttle so well ? What does he look like?
    He is hard to see when I'm running from bullets. But he did drive a tractor and illeagally grade the hill behind his house.

If he invited me over for coco and smores , he would still be a psycodick.

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I do know Art and have known of him or him directly for many years. He still is a kook. He is a bitter old man with a fondness for claiming that "mountain bikers have it out for me". Great mayrter act from that man, even though he provokes most interaction with cyclists in the canyon.

I've heard his "grandaddy" speach since I started riding many years ago and if he is so bitter about public access to the forest, then perhaps he should give his kin a butt kicking in heaven because they allowed the public easement.

Art has a known penchant for coyote hunting around his property and is a pretty good shot. Sad really, but what are you going to do short of calling DFG.

There is rumor that his sibs want to sell the "ranch" now that his parents have passed, but the story, unless in the family, is all heresay.

If you know Art so well then you also know that the canyon is actually Blackstar, not Black star, as named after the coal mine company from England.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    I would say it is worth the trek if you want to see some awesome views and feel up to the challenge of a buttload of climbing on a fireroad. I find both exploring and completing a long climb to be rewarding so it is up my alley. Main Divide Truck Trail is very pictureque in many many spots (on clear days) and worth taking some of the trails that get up to it. If Black Star seems too long then check out Holy Jim, or Maple Springs. But if you are going to make a series Santa Ana Mountain rides, this would be my priority: SJT, Holy Jim/Trabuco, Santaigo Truck Trail, Black Star, Harding Truck Trail/Santaigo Peak.

-Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info - I've done San Juan Trail several times (from the bottom only once) and that isn't too far for me to drive - since I live in North San Diego County. I think I'll check out Holy Jim/Trabuco Canyon sometime this summer...I'll just have to get an early start to avoid the heat.

jrm
    mtbr member

Maple springs to main divide to silverado motorway

Is a good loop. Sliverado Motorway drops you right back on Silverado Canyon. Yes theres alot of climbing and if done in the summer the earlier the start the better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I would say it is worth the trek if you want to see some awesome views and feel up to the challenge of a buttload of climbing on a fireroad. I find both exploring and completing a long climb to be rewarding so it is up my alley. Main Divide Truck Trail is very pictureque in many many spots (on clear days) and worth taking some of the trails that get up to it. If Black Star seems too long then check out Holy Jim, or Maple Springs. But if you are going to make a series Santa Ana Mountain rides, this would be my priority: SJT, Holy Jim/Trabuco, Santaigo Truck Trail, Black Star, Harding Truck Trail/Santaigo Peak.

-Bill
    Thanks for the info, it has been a few years since I've been to the top through Blackstar.
    I've done repair work on some of the wash outs throughout the years and some work on the radio towers. Alot of hiking, it has always been beautiful getting out there, playing or working!