Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sheriff on MTB in PQ

6K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  Boulder Pilot 
#1 ·
Saw him on main fire road as I was headed back to truck. Anyone else see him and was he handing out tickets?

#42 ·
On the other hand, dare talk on a cell phone, or have a gun in your car in the wrong location, or have expired tags, and guess what happens? They're all over that &*%$! It is corrupt. America was founded by people who opposed the 18th century analogs to this kind of corruption 90% of you can eat my shorts.
Not all officers are assigned to working homicide cases. I'm sure you know more people are killed in traffic accidents every year than by other people. People who do hit and runs, accidentally nail you while you're on the street riding to the trails, run red lights, run stop signs in front of schools kill WAY more people. They also get a laughable amount of time behind bars. You could even be falling asleep at the wheel, hit someone and get 100% off the hook! Sure, you might be coordinated enough to multitask while driving a car, but not everyone is and that's why the laws are enforced so strictly.

It's unfortunate if you or someone else has had a negative contact with law enforcement, but that doesn't mean all law enforcement officers are the same. They're held to a higher standard so when something negative does happen, everyone is quick to talk about it. You never hear about the cop who paid for a kids happy meal at McDonalds, who couldn't afford it, until that cop was shot in the face with a shotgun for no reason. A white officer paying for a black kids happy meal. Try to pick that one apart. You mentioned that in your post right? I'm sure you meant to, I just missed it. Here's a link from the UK which isn't even our country talking about it.

Pictured: Jeremy Henwood buys child a McDonald's meal before being shot dead | Mail Online

#19 ·
The people that are patroling and ticketing are being paid with tax payer dollars and are being told to do so. Who is telling them to pull over time pay to work weekends? Why are they there when California is broke? What agenda are they marching to?
It all stinks big time.
Open it up legally, let us maintain the current trails, build a quality trail system that flows, and not spend money we don't have.
Just let us ride....

#20 ·
I totally agree with you. Apparently two ******bags asserted from my post that I am against the tunnels being open to bikes. Quite the contrary. I am one of the people who has been going to the CAC meetings showing support for SDMBA and doing trailwork with ranger Washington. My post simply meant that if bikers are being cited for breaking the rules I hope the law enforcment will also be sure to cite others who are breaking the law but I think we all know that won't happen.

Here is the Neg rep I got.
I agree the dogs off the leash thing but those trails should be open to everyone, and everyone should be able to freely frequent them as they wish. You are obviously not a true mtber.

And this one:
Nazi Scumbag.

Somehow I doubt either one of these guys where out there in the rain shoveling or hauling out trash with their own truck. You two should try answering a post to get a little clarification before jumping to conclusions.

#27 ·
To the JACK-FVCK-PIECE-OF-SHYT who neg repped me for my reply above, they were indeed conducting a sting operation where one was stationed up the trail and another was ready to stop them a short ways down the trail. This was in a State Park where the speed limit is 15MPH. I almost got nailed myself but someone warned me as I was aprroaching.

#29 ·
Don't worry about it. Negative rep has become sort of a badge of honor. I have one particular moron who likes to create sock puppet accounts to neg rep my posts. I love it because the idiot is too stupid to realize his neg reps don't count against me because the accounts he is creating are too new. I love seeing those little grey chicklets next to him calling me a nazi.

#32 ·
I mounted a semi-auto and ran into trouble, so I doubt full rock and roll is a no go.

I spotted this guy inside T-5. Luckily he was facing the other way so I locked the rear and roosted him. Is the patch on the hat the same as the mtb'er's patch?

Attachments

Reactions: 411898
#37 ·
I work in law enforcement. Everyday I talk to people who want to kill me and my family, sell drugs to your kids, steal your bike(fox suspension is same as walmart brand to them) and sell it for 50$ to buy drugs to sell to your kids and kill your family for a couple bucks in a home invasion.

Anyone in a uniform in the sheriffs dept. that is a sworn deputy out on patrol(carries a gun), wears a tan shirt and green pants unless they're working transport for corrections(all black uniform), retired senior volunteer patrol(blue shirts, black pants) or is an undercover deputy(Plain clothes). If the yellow shirt was not a jacket, it was a search and rescue volunteer assigned to writing tickets. Yes, tickets suck. Do all cops write tickets like that? No they don't. The vast majority are out there responding to radio calls of dopers,shootings and people who beat their spouses until they're spitting their teeth out on the floor.

On a positive note, the sheriffs department has a MTB search and rescue team which will dispatch to calls of missing people out on rural trails we all ride. Imagine how awesome it would be to ride your bike on some of the trails we all love and serve your community at the same time making a positive image for the mountain bike community. It's open to the public and anyone can apply to the search and rescue academy. Ride your bike with a different purpose!

#50 ·
I work in law enforcement. Everyday I talk to people who want to kill me and my family, sell drugs to your kids, steal your bike(fox suspension is same as walmart brand to them) and sell it for 50$ to buy drugs to sell to your kids and kill your family for a couple bucks in a home invasion.

Anyone in a uniform in the sheriffs dept. that is a sworn deputy out on patrol(carries a gun), wears a tan shirt and green pants unless they're working transport for corrections(all black uniform), retired senior volunteer patrol(blue shirts, black pants) or is an undercover deputy(Plain clothes). If the yellow shirt was not a jacket, it was a search and rescue volunteer assigned to writing tickets. Yes, tickets suck. Do all cops write tickets like that? No they don't. The vast majority are out there responding to radio calls of dopers,shootings and people who beat their spouses until they're spitting their teeth out on the floor.

On a positive note, the sheriffs department has a MTB search and rescue team which will dispatch to calls of missing people out on rural trails we all ride. Imagine how awesome it would be to ride your bike on some of the trails we all love and serve your community at the same time making a positive image for the mountain bike community. It's open to the public and anyone can apply to the search and rescue academy. Ride your bike with a different purpose!
Not all officers are assigned to working homicide cases. I'm sure you know more people are killed in traffic accidents every year than by other people. People who do hit and runs, accidentally nail you while you're on the street riding to the trails, run red lights, run stop signs in front of schools kill WAY more people. They also get a laughable amount of time behind bars. You could even be falling asleep at the wheel, hit someone and get 100% off the hook! Sure, you might be coordinated enough to multitask while driving a car, but not everyone is and that's why the laws are enforced so strictly.

It's unfortunate if you or someone else has had a negative contact with law enforcement, but that doesn't mean all law enforcement officers are the same. They're held to a higher standard so when something negative does happen, everyone is quick to talk about it. You never hear about the cop who paid for a kids happy meal at McDonalds, who couldn't afford it, until that cop was shot in the face with a shotgun for no reason. A white officer paying for a black kids happy meal. Try to pick that one apart. You mentioned that in your post right? I'm sure you meant to, I just missed it. Here's a link from the UK which isn't even our country talking about it.

Pictured: Jeremy Henwood buys child a McDonald's meal before being shot dead | Mail Online
This guy had an orange shirt with a green patch that I thought said sherriffs dept. he was friendly enough and not sure if he was handing out tickets or not. Looked on line and saw similar uniform on a search and rescue guy. I ride PQ regularly and usually see no LEO except rangers and they have always been on main fire road. Several times have had guys tell me they know people who were ticketed but never had a first hand account of one.

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
As many have pointed out, due to the budget woes, State, local, and Federal, this level of activity can't last forever. It just costs too much. It doesn't pay for itself.

So, even if the possibility of a reasoned, intelligent approach to utilizing this longstanding trail system is out of the question due to bureaucracy, ideology, or whatever, the cost of this irrational crackdown program will not allow it to keep on keepin' on forever.

It's not like Deputy's are not needed to actually catch serious criminals. Same goes for F&G officers. It costs $$$ per hour for each of these public servants, just to keep them in the field. There's serious felons and game poachers out there, running loose, while they are diverted to what's basically a frivolous patrol.

You have to have serious amounts of extra cash laying around to keep such foolishness going. And, basically, they don't.

#25 ·
do these rent'o'cops have documented training in how to judge how fast someone is going with their eye or are they using radar guns? are the radar guns calibrated? are they picking up only the rider or are the radar waves also bouncing off trees also giving an inaccurate reading? perhaps the rent'o'cops are the ones moving and not the rider?

#35 ·
that squirrel is awesome

I usually ride in PQ and haven't seen anything yet but maybe its cause of when Im riding..or where I go exploring, honestly this pisses me off that the cops are just finding another way to mess with people that may not necessarily be breaking the law, Ive been a resident here for 25+ years off and on and the cops literally have nothing to do in PQ cause its so quiet ...

#36 ·
You city folk got it tough.
The park rangers out here have promised to give me a 15min head start if anyone complains about me riding on any single track in the park.
But, to be honest, I have yet to poach any trails out here. I've just casually mentioned to a ranger or two that there is just one of them that I'd reallllllllly like to ride.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.