mtbr member

Sequoia Natl Forest Mgmt Plan - Comments close DEC 3 (just extended). Please read

This was posted on another forum, and I thought some of you may be interested. A new management plan and environmental impact statement is being prepared for Giant Sequoia National Monument - this includes much of the area in Sequoia National Forest around Quaking Aspen, Camp Nelson, Freeman Creek, etc. For those who have never been there, its an incredibly beautiful area that includes some massive trees and awesome trails. For those of you who have been there, you know what I mean.

Link: http://gsnm-consult.limehouse.com/portal

The comment period closes Dec 3 (just extended!). Late notice, I know....I only heard of this recently.

Of particular concern is that one of the management alternatives is to manage the Monument as per the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National park. This would immediately outlaw bikes on all trails, and limit us to roads only.

http://gsnm-consult.limehouse.com/po...-1274981832580

Alternative C would protect the objects of interest and manage Monument resources to promote resiliency, adaptability to climate change, and heterogeneity across ecosystems. This alternative responds to the issues of managing the Monument similar to a national park, in particular Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (SEKI), and fire affecting adjacent tribal lands. It was developed to manage the Monument similar to SEKI in a manner that is consistent with Forest Service regulation and the direction of the Clinton proclamation. It was determined that some management policies or direction from SEKI would not be applicable to the Monument because of differences in law, regulation, and policy for the two federal agencies. In this alternative, restoration activities would focus on areas that have been affected by human use and occupation.
    Issue 1 -- Recreation and Public Use - Recreation Demand Analysis: Alternative C Emphasizes developed recreation opportunities; has flexibility to respond to future demand and new or changing activities, but with some limitations on allowed activities; activities such as dispersed camping and biking on trails would not be possible.

You can write a letter and mail it (by tomorrow!) or fax to the number below. You can also log in and post comments directly in some of the documents. I've spent a bit of time reading through the management plans and most of the alternatives don't affect us that much except for Alt C, as mentioned.

Send Comments To:

Anne Thomas, Interdisciplinary Team Leader
    Sequoia National Forest
    1839 South Newcomb Street
    Porterville, CA93257

To send a facsimile: (559) 781-4744
    I can't find an email address.

Comment period has just been extended to Friday December 3!
    Sample letter: - please personalize a little!

November 2, 2010

Anne Thomas, Interdisciplinary Team Leader
    Sequoia National Forest
    1839 South Newcomb Street
    Porterville, CA93257

Dear Ms. Thomas,

I am writing to express concern regarding Alternative C to the Giant Sequoia National Monument Draft EIS and Management Plan. By managing the Monument like the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, numerous recreational users who have a history of responsible use in the area will no longer have access to the Monument. As a mountain biker I support protection of our forests and ecosystems; however, this can be accomplished without shutting out entire user groups such as mountain bikers.

Please reject Alternative C as an option for managing Giant Sequoia National Monument.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by evdog; 11-03-2010 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    e-mail to this address will also get your comment there (with confirmation send back to you)

GSNM_Public@fs.fed.us

(took me all of 5 minutes to edit the draft letter and send it - get going folks )

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks for the Homework

Thanks Evdog. My comment is done . You made it easy. SDMBA is also getting a letter done. I haven't been there myself but my friend has and he said it is great riding in an awesome environment. Besides we have to stop this constant erosion of bike access.

Taffy15

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kreechan
    e-mail to this address will also get your comment there (with confirmation send back to you)

GSNM_Public@fs.fed.us

(took me all of 5 minutes to edit the draft letter and send it - get going folks )
    I am not as fast as you. Probably took ten minutes. Hey people they take public comment seriously. You want more comments from bike haters. Don't make it easy for them.

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    DONE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy15
    I am not as fast as you. Probably took ten minutes. Hey people they take public comment seriously. You want more comments from bike haters. Don't make it easy for them.
    Thanks Rich. I think you would definitely like the trails up there, Kernville too.

I read through all the comments posted in one of the docs and none so far against bikes...mostly against ORVs and snowmobiles, none regarding bikes. Doesn't mean they haven't come in via email/letter though...

And BTW, I just read that the comment period has been extended to Dec 3. Maybe because they have just started getting inundated with letters?

Evan

official eMpTyBRain
    Isn't that a National park? I thought it was illegal to ride bikes on National Park trails???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

just along for the ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Isn't that a National park? I thought it was illegal to ride bikes on National Park trails???
    Its a National Monument, riding there is great, loads of fun huge climbs among the BIG trees, one of the few things Bush got right making it a monument so people can ride it

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Its a National Monument, riding there is great, loads of fun huge climbs among the BIG trees, one of the few things Bush got right making it a monument so people can ride it
    Oh, I see. Heck, It thought Monuments were a thing of the past. I figured that they had all already been transformed into Parks. Thanks for the clarification.

Anywhere other Monuments in Cali to ride???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    The monument is bordered by Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park to the North, Golden Trout Wilderness to the North/East, and an Indian Reservation and flatness of the central valley to the West. There would be nothing left there for bikes if this were managed like a National Park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bush the Mtn Biker

Bush is a mtn biker and from what I have heard he is quite competitive on a ride. Those that have ridden there say it is well worth the ride especially among the giants.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    DONE!
    Thanks for the notification.
    There are several amazing trails in the monument. We just rode Freeman Creek, Summit, Bear Creek and Camp Nelson in the last month. Some of the best riding within 3.5 hour of Los Angeles.

Thanks Again!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just sent a letter as well. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Every little bit

Dear Silver
    Monuments are created by the president. Back in the day of Teddy Roosevelt he signed the national parks into being but needed the ok of congress. That meant dealing with all the special interests and red tape. But somehow he wrangled the ability to create national monuments and could do it without having congress on board. So monuments can be managed differently then the parks. Hence we can ride in them on trails.

Every voice every letter helps. You would be shocked at how few people make the decisions that govern us because "no one shows up". But everyone *****es about the outcome. On this issue we have a chance to make the difference. "No More Flightlines"!

You bet your letter Helped.

mtbr member
    Bump!!

Deadline is today, please take a moment to cut & paste a sample letter. It can be emailed to GSNM_Public@fs.fed.us

This is important folks, some of the best trail in SoCal is in this area!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Customizing a response was easy.....email sent!

Quote Originally Posted by evdog
    Bump!!

Deadline is today, please take a moment to cut & paste a sample letter. It can be emailed to GSNM_Public@fs.fed.us

This is important folks, some of the best trail in SoCal is in this area!

Thanks Evdog!

mtbr member
    Done and done

I <3 Dirt
    Done with 5 hours to spare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks to everyone who sent in letters, and to the OP of this thread. They're important. The FS has designated a bike friendly management alternative as their preferred alternative (this is a very good sign) but there are certain misguided enviro groups who, in an effort to stop logging, want the whole area managed as a Nat'l Park. And they reached out to their membership over the last few weeks to write in about this. Hopefully our letters show that there are plenty of recreational users who enjoy using established trails and roads managed as they are today and FS chooses to accomodate both preservation and compatible recreational uses such as mountain biking and dispersed camping off of exsiting forest service roads.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Summary

On April 15, 2000, President William J. Clinton signed the presidential proclamation (Clinton proclamation) establishing the Giant Sequoia National Monument (Monument) The Monument was designated because "The rich and varied landscape of the monument holds a diverse array of scientific and historic resources. Magnificent groves of towering giant sequoias, the world's largest trees, are interspersed within a great belt of coniferous forest, jeweled with mountain meadows. Bold granitic domes, spires, and plunging gorges texture the landscape" (Clinton 2000, p. 24094). The Monument is located in south-central California and is administered by the Forest Service, Sequoia National Forest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Were you talking about Bush Sr's 1992 proclamation?

That directed the forest service to preserve existing giant sequoia's? That's what prompted the naming of the George Bush tree. The proclamation protected them so long as they executive branch did not choose to reverse the policy. Clinton made those protections permanent and included a lot of the surrounding areas in the monument as well.

So you weren't totally off as it was about the same trees, just wrong Bush.