Working Man's Toilet

SDMBA Bear Bells

Kudos to SDMBA for putting Bear Bells at the bottom and top of the backside of Cowles in Mission Trails. (big rock, etc). Have been using them for a year now. What a great idea. I have had several hikers tell me what a great idea and how the appreciate them.

The only down fall...... the ipod. Hikers are often rockin' out and don't hear the bell. Maybe SDMBA will spring for flashing lights too.

Thanks again SDMBA.

I'm your density
    Yes, a good idea. I bought one at REI for $4, it has a mesh stow bag with a magnetic immobilizer so you can silence it without taking it off your bars.

I think for Xmas time I'm going to ride with one of the sleigh bells I bought for my kids a few years ago when The Polar Express came out.

I have to admit guilt for wearing an MP3 player when I hike Cowles -- though usually it's on the hiking-only trail on the front side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Elfin Forest Too...

There is now an SDMBA bear bell box at Elfin Forest, at the bottom of The Way Up Trail.

More info here.

mtbr member
    That's a cool thing to do. I don't know how many times I have startled hikers by riding to quietly and sneeking up behind them. If it's on a downhill my squeeling brakes usually catch their attention.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    mike@arkfilms.com

Beer Please!
    I have ridden with a bell for years now. It is the most polite way to say:

"HEY MORONS STOP WALKING 4 ACROSS AND TAKING UP THE ENTIRE TRAIL, CAUSE HERE I COME!"

After a brief exchange of words with some idiots in Pen Cayon a number of years ago I decided a bell was a better option for pedestrians who are idiots.

I also feel we should be able to mow down pedestrians with both buds in the ears.

;-)
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    I have ridden with a bell for years now. It is the most polite way to say:

"HEY MORONS STOP WALKING 4 ACROSS AND TAKING UP THE ENTIRE TRAIL, CAUSE HERE I COME!"

After a brief exchange of words with some idiots in Pen Cayon a number of years ago I decided a bell was a better option for pedestrians who are idiots.

I also feel we should be able to mow down pedestrians with both buds in the ears.

;-)
    I almost got hit in PQ a couple weeks ago by someone bombing down one of those "trails with not a lot of sight line" as I was riding up. That's when I decided a bear bell was a good idea.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk
    I almost got hit in PQ a couple weeks ago by someone bombing down one of those "trails with not a lot of sight line" as I was riding up. That's when I decided a bear bell was a good idea.
    A couple weeks ago I was riding PQ from the east side to the side along the north access road and came upon a group of about 15 - 20 people on some sort of "group" hike.

I rang the bell I had on my bars and said "on your left" loudly from at least 20 yards or so behind them.

They all just scattered every which way, it was on the flat about a 1/4 mile from the park and luckily I was only moving along slowly. Still I had to nearly stop while they sorted themselves out and figured out left from right.

This is the very reason I put a bell on when I ride there. I used to just shout which side I was passing on but you never know which way people will actually move. Now I hit the bell from farther away and they have time to figure out which way is left and which way is right and the bell normally causes them to turn and look.

Beer Please!
    yeah, the bell works way better than shouting.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    yeah, the bell works way better than shouting.
    Weird isn't it? "On your left" elicited sour looks about 50% of the time, but the bear bell gets a smile or "thanks" almost that often. Maybe the hikers don't feel like they're getting bossed around.

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan
    Weird isn't it? "On your left" elicited sour looks about 50% of the time, but the bear bell gets a smile or "thanks" almost that often. Maybe the hikers don't feel like they're getting bossed around.
    Totally agree- weirdest thing ever- maybe it brings up visions of santee clause.

mtbr member
    i havnt used a bell yet but when i go on hikes with my girl friend, even before i was into mtb, i aaaaalways got the eeeff out of the way for the bikers. obviously they are moving along at a much faster rate, why should i get in there way?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    On that note, where the hell have all the bells gone on the back side of Cowels??? I remember when they first put the boxes in, they were almost full, now not so much. what rider savvy enough to use one doesn't get that you should put it back? i understand new people, but not too many newbies know about or ride that trail.

not so 1337 mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    its next to big rock park. i think some of those kids from the park prob grabbed some? that or some teens who hang out around there.

I need a bell or something. Today, in Spring Canyon some old fart was walking on the trail with someone and Im just cruising up behind them. As I get closer he is like "I hear you sneaking up behind us." they move and as i cruise by I hear him and the other person talking about how the riders come up behind them and startle them.

Beer Please!
    Perhaps they should be more aware of their surroundings. Ignorant people can be infuriating sometimes. Sneaking up on them? /sigh