Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SD > Penasquitos Night Riding Solo?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  deano machineo 
#1 ·
PQ is my local trail, and I have not yet tried to ride at night. I almost always ride alone, and was wondering if you have any thoughts on riding there at night or in the pre-dawn morning. I know there have been a few mountain lion sightings there recently and imagine I'd be a bit more susceptible at that time of day. I've never seen one there myself, although they may have seen me.

Just wondering if this is a good/bad idea before I pull the trigger and invest in lights.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Used to ride there at night all the time, its a perfect spot for a 2-3 hr ride. My concern with riding solo isn't so much the critters, its that if you were to have a bad crash out there on your own no one is going to find you til the next day at the earliest.

#9 ·
It's a blast to ride at night. In fact, it's BETTER to ride at night, as several singletracks are clearly signed as "N.ight O.nly Bikes".
Sure, "technically," the Preserve closes at dark (winkwink)......

Don't worry about them big kitties....they are only around for the venison, which you'll see by the score out there after dark. Just don't succumb to the temptation to hand-feed Bambi. That ain't a good idea.

EDIT: One other thing. I don't recommend riding there during a full moon, as there are often large groups of owl-watchers out on the trails during those times. Maybe a few Druids, too.
They're easy to tell apart...the Druids carry binocular, cameras, NV scopes, and long, sharp knives.

#10 ·
There is always the threat of a mountain lion attack, although very remote, but don't let that stop you from riding. A lion attack is extremely rare in any lion occupied space, doesn't mean it won't happen though. I live and ride in Big Bear, many times solo, I have seen tracks, scat and leftovers from lions, never seen one while riding, but I'm sure they have seen me, that being said, I have to be vigilant, but it will in no way stop me from riding alone.

Although I have not done it, I was told by the curator of the zoo up here in BB, to put eye stickers on the rear of your helmet, since predetors like to suprise their prey.
I don't know if I helped out regarding your question.

#13 · (Edited)
Ride with a Spot tracker and you'll have a little security with riding alone if you're injured. At least they'll know where to find you.

BTW; I am no statistics expert but I think there is a major flaw in that report in the referenced link. It doesn't take into account areas that are known to be populated by mountain lions.

#14 ·
I think your comment " you stand a more of a chance of being attacked than not" is not at all accurate. You have to be vigilant in lion country for sure, but, don't ever believe that it cannot or will not happen, but your chances are still very slim.
As far as running a bear bell, that will only attract attention from a lion, hence, that's why they are not called lion bells, lions are a very curious animal, they would like to see where the noise is coming from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.