mtbr member
    Mar 2013

SD:No more Balboa park free ride features....

I'm not sure how long ago this happened but I went there today to check the place out for a future ride and all the jumps were destroyed and logs were placed on some sections. I was going to make this place my practice playground for Big Bear. How sad!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My hope is that since the basic trail lines still exist, a few good rains and maybe some unofficial help will bring out a set of continuous and not-so-liability-threatening flow trails.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

I'm your density
    This happened a few weeks ago. I guess the powers that be decided having a regular presence of trail users was threatening the population of needles hypodermicus and prophylactus discardicus so they plowed the area to restore it to its natural state.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the homeless people complained that the bikes were waking them up in the middle of the day...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think, more realistically, that those particular "social" trails were singled out for eradication due to liability concerns on the part of the city. In fact, I know that's why. If those trails were to sort of reappear, but in more of a "flow trail" format, I would bet money that they would be left alone by the authorities.

Like it or not, the big-air jumps are what signed their death warrant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I think, more realistically, that those particular "social" trails were singled out for eradication due to liability concerns on the part of the city. In fact, I know that's why. If those trails were to sort of reappear, but in more of a "flow trail" format, I would bet money that they would be left alone by the authorities.

Like it or not, the big-air jumps are what signed their death warrant.
    Yes, some healthy young lad could fall off his bike and land on a crack pipe and hurt himself. That a true liability

It was stated at the last LCP meeting that there were people caught with fires, guns, and drugs in the tunnels. What changed to bring that back? Oh yea, no bikes allowed. What a frigging joke this all has become
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Yes, some healthy young lad could fall off his bike and land on a crack pipe and hurt himself. That a true liability

It was stated at the last LCP meeting that there were people caught with fires, guns, and drugs in the tunnels. What changed to bring that back? Oh yea, no bikes allowed. What a frigging joke this all has become
    I agree with you. It IS a joke.

Only, it's not funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe mama View Post
    the homeless people complained that the bikes were waking them up in the middle of the day...
    lol!

Front Range, Colorado
    Some more recent discouragement for San Diego riders.

This is an area that is basically in the middle of the city. This park borders the San Diego zoo with numerous canyons weaving in between urban city life and beautiful canyon wilds. Who would this bother?

City kids that never see the outskirts of SD ride these trails and pump tracks. It's a Mecca of underground trail systems that nobody but a few no exist. Multiple freeways go over and by these trails without detection the undergrowth of exotic vegetation is so thick none of the trails can be seen from the freeways. IMO what a shame for SD to lose such a gem of a place for city kids to enjoy the sport of BMX and mtbing.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 3 Days Ago at 03:30 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If the city of San Diego had its way I really think they would
    close every trail there is for bike riding. They are on that path
    right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    idk why SD hates MTB so much. i honestly think having the most horses of any county in the whole United States is the main reason. there are all these old rich horse lovers who want to ride down FAT fire roads ride by side without their horses having to see a mtb. also hikers are rude as hell some times, especially if they're tourists, they never understand that i can't just stop instantly, it takes a few good feet. i just feel like all of san diego is against mountain bikers. maybe it'll go the way of moto, you used to be able to ride around on the western portion of mira mar base, but that was closed because someone sued... and it is because of this liability they're hunting the trails down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasF View Post
    idk why SD hates MTB so much. i honestly think having the most horses of any county in the whole United States is the main reason. there are all these old rich horse lovers who want to ride down FAT fire roads ride by side without their horses having to see a mtb. also hikers are rude as hell some times, especially if they're tourists, they never understand that i can't just stop instantly, it takes a few good feet. i just feel like all of san diego is against mountain bikers. maybe it'll go the way of moto, you used to be able to ride around on the western portion of mira mar base, but that was closed because someone sued... and it is because of this liability they're hunting the trails down.
    The western end of Miramar base, in Rose canyon, is now a National Cemetery. There used to be 10 miles of single track on that land.

While technically it was base property, and as such off-limits, the trails on the north side of the tracks were pretty much not enforced as such.

I rode them the week before the entire mesa there was bulldozed for the grave yard.

Now, I hear people are dying to get in there.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I rode them the week before the entire mesa there was bulldozed for the grave yard.

Now, I hear people are dying to get in there.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    yeah, i know about the cemetary, drive by all the time