Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    111

    SD area: Lake Hodges, making a decent loop?

    I've been toying with the idea of going out and clearing a trail where the lake is totally dry on the north eastern side by the 15 so that it connects with the RB side to make a decent sized arc, maybe even loop depending on where the trails are thrown in. Maybe put some cool stuff in between. Would anybody with some time/ weed wacker, chain saw be interested? (I live in an apartment and have no power tools) It should only be about 100 -250 yards worth of clearing depending on what is done with it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

    Stop!
    Although it would be nice to have that trail, and we can all see the earthmoving equipment tearing up soil nearby, your idea is really very bad. Here's why:

    --Hodges is part of the San Dieguito River Park: you need permission form Rangers to do any trail work out there.
    --the lake bed is protected by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and permits would have to be sought and acquired for such a trail.
    --making such a trail would be illegal, and the fines if you get caught would be huge
    --making such a trail would Screw Over all the other MTB riders that would be lumped into the "outlaw" image it would create, and we could lose access to the excellent singletracks we enjoy out there.

    Don't do it, bro. Great intentions, but it's not kosher.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Stop!
    Although it would be nice to have that trail, and we can all see the earthmoving equipment tearing up soil nearby, your idea is really very bad. Here's why:

    --Hodges is part of the San Dieguito River Park: you need permission form Rangers to do any trail work out there.
    --the lake bed is protected by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and permits would have to be sought and acquired for such a trail.
    --making such a trail would be illegal, and the fines if you get caught would be huge
    --making such a trail would Screw Over all the other MTB riders that would be lumped into the "outlaw" image it would create, and we could lose access to the excellent singletracks we enjoy out there.

    Don't do it, bro. Great intentions, but it's not kosher.
    Gotcha, thanks for the heads up!

  4. #4
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,285

    awwww you darn hippie!

    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Stop!
    Although it would be nice to have that trail, and we can all see the earthmoving equipment tearing up soil nearby, your idea is really very bad. Here's why:

    --Hodges is part of the San Dieguito River Park: you need permission form Rangers to do any trail work out there.
    --the lake bed is protected by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and permits would have to be sought and acquired for such a trail.
    --making such a trail would be illegal, and the fines if you get caught would be huge
    --making such a trail would Screw Over all the other MTB riders that would be lumped into the "outlaw" image it would create, and we could lose access to the excellent singletracks we enjoy out there.

    Don't do it, bro. Great intentions, but it's not kosher.
    :-)

    you forgot the most important reason, as soon as the new reservoir in Elfin Forest is full, they're going to divert water back to Hodges and fill it up again....................

    YR

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    :-)

    you forgot the most important reason, as soon as the new reservoir in Elfin Forest is full, they're going to divert water back to Hodges and fill it up again....................

    YR
    Have you all noticed all the deer that come out of the forest in the dry lake bed? I saw one pop out under the I-15 bridge and wander up within 50 ft of the freeway.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    223
    The reason for the construction and such in that same area is that a foot bridge is supposed to be installed that will span the basin there - parrallel to the I-15. Doing some work for a construction company, I did some work on plans for that project 4 or 5 years ago - so I don't know if it will actually come to fruition - but my guess would be that is what's happening out there now. So...if'n we just wait a little longer (or maybe a lot longer) there will be a way to traverse the lake bed straight off of the trails around Hodges.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    The reason for the construction and such in that same area is that a foot bridge is supposed to be installed that will span the basin there - parrallel to the I-15. .....
    I heard the foot bridge project was killed. The current construction is to widen the freeway that is why they are trying to keep all the sparrows off the underside of the bridges. They are doing a pretty good job of removing the dead birds before they stack up too much.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I heard the foot bridge project was killed. The current construction is to widen the freeway that is why they are trying to keep all the sparrows off the underside of the bridges. They are doing a pretty good job of removing the dead birds before they stack up too much.
    http://www.sdrp.org/projects/lakehodges.htm

    Footbridge still in the makings - however, construction is said to be end of 2004 - sometime in 2005. Wonder if it'll actually happen? But yeah, I guess I was wrong about the current construction...I guess I was hoping...

  9. #9
    Mountain Bike Sensei
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    144

    Smile Mule Hill

    You could keep going when you reach the 15 and hit Mule Hill. Pretty flat for the first 5 miles but has some really nice climbs/views.

    I keep talking to the guys i ride with about one day riding from the damn to the dairy and back. But that would be quite an Epic ride for us. It might be worth a try when it gets cooler. Heading back to Hernandez for lunch is one hell of a motivator.

  10. #10
    Its only 1" on the map!
    Reputation: mtbbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by NappyT
    You could keep going when you reach the 15 and hit Mule Hill. Pretty flat for the first 5 miles but has some really nice climbs/views.

    I keep talking to the guys i ride with about one day riding from the damn to the dairy and back. But that would be quite an Epic ride for us. It might be worth a try when it gets cooler. Heading back to Hernandez for lunch is one hell of a motivator.
    I have heard of the Epic Ride that was Discovery Hills, to Elfin Forest, to Hodges to Black Mountain. I believe it was a "back in the day" route prior to much of the North County development boom. It would definitely be an epic and it would definitely hurt!

  11. #11
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I have heard of the Epic Ride that was Discovery Hills, to Elfin Forest, to Hodges to Black Mountain. I believe it was a "back in the day" route prior to much of the North County development boom. It would definitely be an epic and it would definitely hurt!
    I've done similar rides although not with the Black Mountain section. Discovery Hills/Elfin/Hodges should still be a very "doable" ride although I'm not sure about the Elfin section (especially the dirt descent from Elfin down to Del Dios Hwy - I'm sure you could get to Hodges from Mt. Israel Rd, but that's too much pavement!) since I haven't been up there for quite a while. Might be worth a scouting expedition soon.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    223
    I know that you can still get from Disco Hills to Mt. Israel - but yeah - don't know if that reservoir blocks the way over to Hodges...these last coupla days - too hot to be out trudging around in the brush,

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by NappyT
    You could keep going when you reach the 15 and hit Mule Hill. Pretty flat for the first 5 miles but has some really nice climbs/views.

    I keep talking to the guys i ride with about one day riding from the damn to the dairy ...

    I've never gone east from the Hodges trailhead, I guess to "Mule Hill". Where's that go, how far, what kind of trail, etc? Hey, there's a hill?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    223
    Ya, if you go east, there's a trail that runs about 12 miles all the way back to the end of the valley where the grade up to Ramona starts. It's flat, wide and uneventful for about 5 miles and then there's a climb which gets pretty tore up by horses and such - nothing special. You drop back down into the valley and I believe there's another climb mixed in there somewheres as you make your way back through San Pasqual Valley. I've taken my kids (8, 6 & 4) 3 or 4 miles down that trail and they had no problems (if that tells you anything about the trail conditions).

    If you just want to do some exploring - or bring the family out - or work on some spinning skills, it's ok, but I wouldn't call it "mountain biking"

    ...my 2 cents...

  15. #15
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I've never gone east from the Hodges trailhead, I guess to "Mule Hill". Where's that go, how far, what kind of trail, etc? Hey, there's a hill?
    I've ridden east many times as my 8 year old learned the intricacies of self-propelled off-road riding. It's flat ______/\________ with only one little bump until you get to the end of the dirt road that becomes single track and climbs up to the Bandy Canyon Road area as part of the San Dieguito River Trail. Good place to be on the lookout for snakes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    111
    I used to live right by Hodges, and am now in San Marcos, but I did alot of exploring on the hills on the North side of Del Dios that turn in Discovery Hills/ Elfin forest. About half the fireroads ended up going to nowhere and just dead ending at random places or the backs of houses. Im going to try to find a few good routes to make a pretty good sized loop in the next few weeks since I have tons of free time, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Good place to be on the lookout for snakes!


    Great picture!!

Similar Threads

  1. Any DC area shops that sell decent wheels?
    By Vecsus in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 08:08 AM
  2. Cell phone coverage in the Lake Tahoe area?
    By kapusta in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 07:57 AM
  3. Trails in Williams Lake area?
    By JTP in forum New York
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •