mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Scouting Simi Valley as a possible move?

So I currently live in Seattle with my wife and 7 month old kiddo. I may have the opportunity to move to So Cal (grew up in Riverside & OC area). The job would be located in the Simi Valley. Right now I am looking at this as a temporary move as I would like to return to the PNW. Right now I am looking at a 2 year or so commitment, if it does go through. It is all in the very early stages, I am just wanting to do a little research before we say "yes" and realize that we should have moved to X instead of Y.

Are there any good resources for researching communities out there?

Any of you out there now? How is it for young families (we intend on having more kiddos)?
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Can't say much about Simi per se other than it often shows up in lists of safest cities in America. I grew up in nearby Thousand Oaks though, and I turned out okay (good schools, TONS of riding, great weather etc.).
    definite malingerer

mtbr member

I live nearby and drive thru Simi everyday on my way to work in nearby Moorpark. Other than a complete lack of culture, Simi is a good place to live. There are better school districts (Moorpark, Conejo), but it's safe, affordable, 45 min from downtown LA, 30 min from good beaches, and 5-15 minutes away from some really great riding. The only resource I can think of is my mom, who has been a realtor in the San Fernando and Simi valleys for the last ten years or so. Let me know if you want some contact info!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Simi is a great place. Iv'e lived here my whole life. It's safe with lots of great riding within riding distance. It can get a little windy sometimes and a little hot in the summer. But, not as hot as the Valley. If you need culture, you can drive to it. Simi is pretty much right in between the beach and the snow in the mountains.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

official eMpTyBRain
    My understanding is that "Simi" is an Indian word for wind. Can any of you Simi Valley Locals confirm this?

I lived there for 2.5 years and loved it there. It does get hot and it is commonly windy there. Safe area, surrounded by lots of fun locations to visit.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Ohh Gnarly!!
    I lived there till I was 9 (in the Knolls) then moved to T.O. Simi is a great place to live.I personally liked being on the other side of the hills in Thousand Oaks,Newbury Park,or westlake a bit better,closer to the beach.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    My understanding is that "Simi" is an Indian word for wind. Can any of you Simi Valley Locals confirm this?
    It's derived from a longer Chumash word - shimiji or something - their name for thin, wispy clouds that are common in the SoCal sky. I've heard Simi = wind, too, but I don't think that's right.

It does get windy though.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good place for kids

I lived in Simi for four years, and it was a good place for kids.

Lots of nice clean parks, nearby trails for stroller rides in Bob, and an Arroyo bike path for bike trailer rides. The gates at the street crossings don't have room for bikes with trailers so you end up lifting the trailer over the horizontal bar.

There are a few trashy areas of Simi, but if you do some drive by observations you'll easily spot them.

The Santa Susana incident and solvent leaks occured near the Southeast corner of the valley but would only affect you if you were drinking well water instead of tap.

There is a Babies R Us in the Northwest corner of Simi for those inevitable diaper and supply runs. I don't know about the pediatric care in Simi itself, but there are lots of good pediatric providers within a half hour drive. There is an indoor play place at the Simi Town Center, but it isn't air conditioned. For unusually hot (95 plus) summer days when the parks are no fun there are air conditioned indoor play places in Agoura and Westlake.

mtbr member
    Its said that the name Simi means The Valley of the winds. The valley of Simi is around 8 miles long. It runs east to west/west to east, and is surrounded by mountains. The east wind typically blows after a storm passes through.

Its also said that the name Simi originates from the Chumash word Shimiyi, which refers to the stringy, thread-like clouds that typify the region.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I lived there till I was 9 (in the Knolls) then moved to T.O. Simi is a great place to live.I personally liked being on the other side of the hills in Thousand Oaks,Newbury Park,or westlake a bit better,closer to the beach.
    Agreed, TO is nicer but more expensive. Simi is fabulous compared to SFV, though.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Ya,it's a bit more pricy,and you'd probably have to drive the 23 fwy,which used to jam up pretty good around Sunset Hills.As I said before,I like being closer to the ocean,I love the onshore flow of moisture.I also liked being closer to the Santa Monica Mountains (lots of Trails!) I cant say that I remember it being overly windy in Simi...unless the Santa Ana's are blowing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wood Ranch...technically simi, almost as close to Thousand Oaks. Trailhead within the community that allows access to a smorgasbord of trails, stellar golf too. Also has a community elementary school. If you've got the means I highly recommend it ('taint cheap).

Im going to assume that a b of a contract is bringing you to town?

mtbr member
    Yep, Long Canyon to Cheseboro is a good ride.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I grew up in Simi and raised three kids here. Trails, schools, parks, stuff to do... it's all good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    I grew up in Simi and raised three kids here. Trails, schools, parks, stuff to do... it's all good.
    Sounds good!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Yep, same here. Except for the three kids.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Positively the most boring place I've ever lived, it is sort of like a mini 909 now with guys in raised white trucks and goatees all over the place. I grew up out there and my parents still live in the same house we moved into in 79. If you have a family and want things mellow, then go on there. Worked for the school district for a few years and it is decent, at least when you find a globe in a class room the USSR is still not on it (I'm not kidding) unlike LA area schools. Being that it's only a two year investment, it won't matter too much one way or the other. So what you really want to know is there good riding there and there is. Rocky Peak is a decent trail system of mostly double track with some good downhill sections, Santa Susana wagon trail is a challenging downhill trail. Not far from there in the SFV is extensive trails that link up to ones in other areas so you can get all kinds of riding in. In addition being that you're near to the 118 frw you can go to places like JPL or the Santa Monicas with ease for more off road action.

Gotta pay to play
    If you are going to live in Simi- make sure it is on the west side "Wood Ranch" area. Do NOT live in the east side of Simi. The worse nuclear disaster in US history happened there and the area is still contaminated.

If you live in the Wood Ranch area of Simi you should be safe from the radiation. Simi has a bunch of decent riding spots.

Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley

You'll want to look at the Rocky Peak and Wood Ranch detail maps. You'll also notice that there are a lot of trail maps more in the Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park area.

The Rocky Peak area of Simi is across the valley from the Rocketdyne Disaster. Plenty of people ride there but I wouldn't go camping there for a month if you know what I mean.