Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't skid

SB saturday ride.

Any SB guys up for a ride this Sat?

Unshaven Yak
    I'll be available for a ride on Saturday. I don't have a car though so my options are somewhat limited. Jes is always there for me but anything else would require more planning. I would consider Tunnel or the Tunnel-Jes connection if I can haul my new pig of a bike up Gibraltar!

I've been experimenting with different suspension settings on the new Coiler with great success as of last night. Now this pup feels a lot more like my old Heckler.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Even if Saturday doesn't work out, I'll be riding all weekend.

Don't skid
    I rode up San Marcos pass rode yesterday. It was pretty tough but I think I could make it up Giblater on saturday. Tunnel would be good, what about San Ysidro? I haven't ridden that or Cold Springs.
    Want to set a time, say 11 am. we can decide on the detials later. I am interested in seeing your new rig.

Unshaven Yak
    Sounds good. We might want to get a little bit of an earlier start than 11 considering the heat, but I can take it if you can! I'm really curious to try Tunnel & it is the closest trailhead to the top of Gibraltar. The others you suggested have never really given me the big grins I get from Tunnel. I always get off them wishing I had taken a different trail.

No big, if you really want to try one of them, I'm game. One of the good parts about tunnel is that when you get done, if you still have juice, you can tack on Jes without all the climbing that is usually entailed!

We shall see, I'll be checking here through Friday night & Sat Morning.

The Coiler is the dog's bullocks!

Don't skid
    Oh yeah, I never even thought about tacking on Jes after Tunnel. Although we'll see about that after the climb and descent. We can start ealier, but not real early, I hate mornings and alarms. How bout 10 am, where? I have to park the jeep somewhere b/c I moved to Ewood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    how old are you guys(if i may ask) and how fast do you climb?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You guys are frigin nuts ride too the top and ride down Tunnel? What about body armor, full face and all that good stuff, do you just take it kind of easy going down? I would be tired after riding too the top, that and no armor and no full face seem like a bad combo. I 'v done tunnel on a 3.5in. XC bike and it wasn't much fun it was all about surviving. I have a Coiler and an 03 Stinky Primo. I haven't ridden Tunnel in 2 or 3 years and none of my buddies have the wevos to go. Maybe all go with you nuts and get a blast of adrenaline that you can only get from Tunnel. I live in West Ventura and have a truck,all check back in on Friday to see what's up. It would be cool to ride with other Kona riders.

Unshaven Yak
    I'm turning 34 this weekend. I'm not terribly fast going uphill on this bike, but I could be devastating on a full-on XC bike!

Really, I weigh in at 200lbs, so I'm not some lightweight superclimber, but I did do the Gibraltar/Tunnel connection a few weeks ago & was not particularly tired afterwards, so why not? I did feel a little naked on the descent without kneepads & elbow guards, but I didn't crash & walked only a couple of sections (unfortunately one was the railroad ties section, which I can do, but was too nervous without pads).

Don't skid
    I'm 27. Do you know what the UC Santa Cruz mascot is? Well thats about as fast as I climb. But I can sit and spin for hours so what the heck. I wieght 260 so I am not going to set any speed records going up (though I might set a record for the biggest guy to climb Gilbralter).
    As far as armour goes, armour we don't need no stinking armour.

No, seriously though I routinely ride uphill with my knee/shin pads strapped to the Camel toe...err I mean Camel Back. I am not sure how to get the armpads and full face up there though but I am sure it can be done. There are a few sections I walk on the descent of Tunnel, I ride a Coiler BTW.

You should come out if you can. Sure its will be a long b!tch of a climb and the descent could be even worse but hey thats what mountain biking is about, pain and agony, right? Plus the beer will taste soooooo good at the bottom...mmmm beer.

But if you guys want to shuttle, I'd be up for that too. I have one shuttle car. Although I am kind of looking forward to the challenge of the climb and descent. Either way though.

So how about Sat, 10am in the park across from the Mission for those who want to go.

Unshaven Yak
    The more I think about it the more 11 sounds like a good hour. 10 works for me just fine, but if you guys want to do an 11am start, that would suit me.

Park accross from the mission, close to the main entrance of the mission, where the trees & sign are. We're both Coiler guys so we should be easy to spot.

10 or 11? I'm not sure yet whether I will bother with pads (probably not). I don't even own a full-face so that's out of the question.

Did someone mention beer? I may even throw one in my cameltoe!

Don't skid
    OK lets compomise, 10:30 am. Be there or be hungover. And its a ride to the top.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You guys are sick, I mean that in a good way. You guys sound like my kind of riders, pain, suffering, the agony of defeat it's all good.Beer, well I'm a none drinker but after that ride I might start. I'm 36yrs old and weigh159lbs, I can climb good but I'm better on the down.If you start at 10:30 it's going to be hot as hell but thats ok I ride in ojai alot and it gets like an oven up there.I'm almost 100% sure all be their but don't wait if you don't see me. I drive a black Nissan frontier crew cab with a sick Coiler in the back.Sounds like a killer ride. I'll be coming from Ventura. Gotta go prep the bike, hope to see you on Saturday.

Unshaven Yak
    Word to your mothah! 10:30 it is. Be there or be in the drunk-tank!

I've gotta tighten up the tolerances on my front derailer tonight. Everything is good except my chain keeps getting chucked off the inside & outside in the rough stuff....& we're in for plenty of that! Yeah baby!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    Word to your mothah! 10:30 it is. Be there or be in the drunk-tank!

I've gotta tighten up the tolerances on my front derailer tonight. Everything is good except my chain keeps getting chucked off the inside & outside in the rough stuff....& we're in for plenty of that! Yeah baby!
    if you guys wanna ride some other time im always down for a ride. not much of a climber though(especially with my 45 lb stinky) but ill shuttle anyday. i was out at ellwood today and got to meet loopsb, cool guy. if you guys got any rides going on on the weekends please tell me.

oh and for anyone that wants to ride tomorow ill probably be at ellwood. hopefully this time ill get a ride out.

later
    jack
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Unshaven Yak
    Will, Chuck, Eddie: Excellent ride bro's! That took a lot out of me & I've had a couple of Sol's (light Mex beer for the dehydrated).....I'm off to get some grub in a few but maybe next time we should consider Romero or anything with less climbing than that! I know I suggested it, & I know you are all grateful for my amazing suggestions, but I'm willing to defer to someone else for our next ride idea!

Will attach photo of meat-flap on shin later

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Stinky Wiz, whats up man? Great ride on Saturday, good job on the climb 9 miles,OUCH!! Tunnel was everything I expected knarly and wicked. I'm glad everyone made it without major injuries.I was so burnt on Sunday I didn't even ride. Monday I got a good 15 miler in at Sycamore Canyon but was so tame compared to Tunnel. I'm thinking about next Sunday for another DEATH ride, Romero, Gridly,Sycamore. Who's up for another A$$ kicker? Let me know if any one wants to ride that day. Later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

azz kicker is right

it's good to test your limits now and then...think i found mine climbing up Gibralter was just a bit too spongey for Tunnel but glad you guys motivated me to do it. leg cramped up on way home...5 minute ride took about 20...but it was all good in the end. spent Sunday giving my bike some love...and threw my slicks on(for the first time in years) for a recovery spin today out to UCSB and along the waterfront in SB.....so hot i felt like i was riding in Ojai.
    Thanks guys -Chuck

Don't skid

More SB riding

What's up guys. Yeah that ride was an a$$ kicker. I have only been hitting the dj's at Ewood since. I am climbing San Marcos for lunch tommorrow. I'll be out at Ewood tommrow night (wed) after 5pm if anyone wants to join (loopsb, konabiker, mtbaddict). I am heading up to Mt. Pinos Saturday morning for camping and shuttle runs you should come if you can make it. We are camping at Mt. Pinos campground. email me or pm for details.
    We'll definately have to hook up for a ride again. Good times.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    What's up guys. Yeah that ride was an a$$ kicker. I have only been hitting the dj's at Ewood since. I am climbing San Marcos for lunch tommorrow. I'll be out at Ewood tommrow night (wed) after 5pm if anyone wants to join (loopsb, konabiker, mtbaddict). I am heading up to Mt. Pinos Saturday morning for camping and shuttle runs you should come if you can make it. We are camping at Mt. Pinos campground. email me or pm for details.
    We'll definately have to hook up for a ride again. Good times.
    damn i so wish i could hit Ewood tomorow. school started today and their already layin down the work. if ive got time ill def try and get out there though. ill probably hit ellwood sometime this weekend, so if anyone wants to go post on here.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

I wanna talk to Samson!
    actually dude ill be able to hit ewood today. ive got all the homework out of the way, so if you wanna ride just tell me and ill meet you out there or something. i was thinking the main jump site at around 5:30.

later
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Unshaven Yak
    Anyone up for a Romero ride sometime this weekend? Gibraltar kicked my a$$!!

I'm probably gonna ride to the trailhead if I have to...but if someone has a truck (or jeep) I wouldn't complain about getting a ride there....especially if it's as hot as it has been this last week.

We should count ourselves lucky, last Saturday was the last relatively cool day before my thermometer pegged out at "Blast-furnace".

Lemme know. Have fun at E-wood guys!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    heading out to ewood now, hopefully there will be some peeps there.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    Anyone up for a Romero ride sometime this weekend? Gibraltar kicked my a$$!!

I'm probably gonna ride to the trailhead if I have to...but if someone has a truck (or jeep) I wouldn't complain about getting a ride there....especially if it's as hot as it has been this last week.

We should count ourselves lucky, last Saturday was the last relatively cool day before my thermometer pegged out at "Blast-furnace".

Lemme know. Have fun at E-wood guys!
    I might be able to ride Romero on Saturday, I'm on call that day but might be able to weasel out of it.Even if I am on call I can still go but there could be a chance of me being called into work I could possibly meet you at the trail head, if I make it it'll be around 8:30- 9:00 AM. One of my riding buddies will probably go to.Anyone else interested? It would be cool to get a little group going. The more the merrier. Let me know if anyone wants to ride Saturday,when? where?

Don't skid
    What's up SB dude's. If I don't hit Mt. Pinos I'd be up for Romero but don't count on me. Have fun at Romero. What about BB some weekend? We could get a group together to cut costs.

konabiker,
    sorry about bailing so early on you tonight, my friend wanted to take off, he doesn't ride, plus i had dinner plans. I have a vid of you hitting that jump, and the one of me crashing, pretty funny. I'll put it on a website and post it soon. I will be out there again tommorow, same time. I have to biuld up the heuvos to hit the doubles.

Unshaven Yak
    Addict,

Actually anytime but Sat morning is when I can ride. I have to work from 8-11 on Saturday morning. I could possibly make that 7-10 if that helps, but I still have to get to the trailhead after that, ealiest being 11am. Sunday would work a lot better, or Saturday afternoon (pretty hot I know).

Let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast