Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SART status?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SART status?

Anybody been on it lately? Anybody have detailed directions on how to get on the lower section that goes from Angelus Oaks down to Mentone? Thanks!!

official eMpTyBRain
    trmn8er is the SART king. I'm sure he will chime in soon and give you the skinny on SART.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey Hawg! I ride from Angelus Oaks quite a bit, but not down towards Mentone. I usually ride toward Glass road, and South Fork. I have ridden it three times since Christmas, twice in Snow, once not much snow. There is a fair amount of downed trees, at least two that were fairly easy to get over, but another one further in was massive, and I had to go off trail (steep area) to get around it which was not as easy as I had hoped. Trail conditions were mostly good, with lots of acorns, pinecones, and wet leaves. Sorry I don't have info toward Mentone. Now Hawg, when we gonna go do SART together? Anyone that wants to feel good about themselves and their speed, ride with me. I'm so slow you can't help but feel better about your performance. I'm thinking about Thursday or Friday morning of this week. Who wants to ride?

reading comprehension wat
    I want to ride! Either day works for me. Is it gnarly? Where do I park? Expect a lot more of these questions from me.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    hello I am new at riding but that is over the hill. if it is friday i can make it (thurs i have class all day) just trying new trails and meet new people post up when you are going.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey guys. I am looking at Thursday morning. Friday my buddy is coming to my house, but Thursday should work. socalkrawler, perhaps we can ride it another time. dv8xin, I will know more for sure tomorrow when I get off work around 3 pm. It looks like a go right now. I must warn you, I am not fast, and do hike a bike some of the hills, but ride most all of it. If you don't mind a casual pace, I do know the trail, and we WILL have a good time. Now about those questions you mentioned above? Ask away! I love this ****.

What should I pack? Any sort of food ya recommend? 2 liters of water good enough? Armor? Is it cold up there? Sorry, I'm spoiled by riding short loops near civilization in the valley. I got some crazy impression that SART is practically backcountry.

Any packing tips should help. Just today I learned some errors of my ways, learning that I should've packed a crescent wrench for my road bike, 'cause its wheels are fastened with bolts. Was like, okay I got a tube and a pump, look to undo the Q... I should've known the tire's sidewall would get raped taking a detour through the local trails.

Pace is the least of my worries. Slower means more time to take in nature. Got to take in a whole bunch while walking today.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How early are you guys starting you ride? I may be up for it and it'd be great to meet new riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    What should I pack? Any sort of food ya recommend? 2 liters of water good enough? Armor? Is it cold up there? Sorry, I'm spoiled by riding short loops near civilization in the valley. I got some crazy impression that SART is practically backcountry.

Any packing tips should help. Just today I learned some errors of my ways, learning that I should've packed a crescent wrench for my road bike, 'cause its wheels are fastened with bolts. Was like, okay I got a tube and a pump, look to undo the Q... I should've known the tire's sidewall would get raped taking a detour through the local trails.

Pace is the least of my worries. Slower means more time to take in nature. Got to take in a whole bunch while walking today.

There are several threads on this forum about what you should carry. First off water. Then whatever you could need to make common repairs. It's a long walk if you lose a hanger or break your chain. So carry whatever you can. also don't let ken fool ya, he's not as slow as he makes himself out to be lol
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post

ok dv8xin were on. I am thinking we can meet at Angelus Oaks at 0800. This will allow us to get a reasonable start time, and be off the Mountain and back to the car by 1 or 2 PM, depending how far in we go. PM me if you are sure you are going ASAP and I will give you more details where to meet. Were on!

Pack like you will be in semi back-country, because you will be. I always bring a good light (Surefire). I always carry food in the Mountains. Nuts, fruit, Gu, bars, heck even PB&J is good for me. I carry a Camel-back with three liters of water, because I generally never go into Mountains with less. I will carry an electrolyte drink too. Armor is up to you. No, it is not very cold up there at this time of year, but does get cold at night. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by trmn8er; 04-10-2013 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    membrain how is 0800?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I saw this too late and couldn't get off work in time. How often do u ride that trail, because I definitely need to get out there (with a guide).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    I saw this too late and couldn't get off work in time. How often do u ride that trail, because I definitely need to get out there (with a guide).
    Not too often. Probably once per month. Stay in touch and we can get out there...

Consider me in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Not too often. Probably once per month. Stay in touch and we can get out there...
    Definitely will and it may be soon too. What other trails do u ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    Definitely will and it may be soon too. What other trails do u ride?
    I ride Chino Hills, Bonelli Park, Marshall Canyon, Wrightwood (above Ski Area), SART (fairly often), Santiago Canyon, Tapia Canyon, San Juan Trail, Cannell Trail (in Sierras), and am always looking for new ride. I mostly stay fairly close to home, but I take at least 2 Epic rides per year like to the Sierra's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ride Chino Hills, Bonelli Park, Marshall Canyon, Wrightwood (above Ski Area), SART (fairly often), Santiago Canyon, Tapia Canyon, San Juan Trail, Cannell Trail (in Sierras), and am always looking for new ride. I mostly stay fairly close to home, but I take at least 2 Epic rides per year like to the Sierra's.
    I've only rode a handful of those so finding new people to ride with and a guide would be cool. I got my brother into riding and he lives in chino hills so all the trails are fairly close. Bummer I'm missing tomorrow, but on to the next.

official eMpTyBRain
    If you'll ride all the way out at Castaic, then you should meet us some time for Chesebro or Backbone.

If you haven't ridden SART and like XC singletrack, you are missing a lot. It is virtually endless. The dirt is far better than the "hero dirt" I've seen in the inland desert valley, and there are plenty of gradual ups and downs and challenging corners and switchbacks and quite a few minor rock gardens that can be tricky. The view is amazing. There's lots of plant life, which is refreshing to see after riding the desert. Quite a bit of wildlife too, with red tailed hawks flying about, bluebirds, butterflies, and signs of bears and mountain lions. Pretty fun experience to share with another. trm8er was a good guide, answering a lot of questions, pointing out wildlife, bear poo, pine cones the size of watermelons, hawks, tall peaks south of the Sierras (Gorgonia?), etc.. He even let me take the lead when I was showing that I wanted to go a bit faster and play on the fast singletrack.

I just got back. I left the house at 7 AM and returned at 7 PM. I think we rode from 9 to 5 or something. trmn8er was totally bonking by the end. I actually talked him into going all the way to Southfork, while he was sort of reasoning not to. I loved playing in the corners, but I got my shin gashed from a root, and I also crashed into some small tree at about 15-20 MPH, and got my head jammed in between its branches, being a little too railing-corners-happy. The tree crash actually didn't hurt. My only reaction was, okay, my head is stuck in a tree. I found the left brake line oddly wrapping around a branch and the stem got knocked out of alignment with the front wheel, which were easily fixed without complications. The shin gash started scabbing up really fast and was only a deep scratch... trmn8er's initial impression, when I showed him the gash, was like that might need stitches, but luckily there ain't much flesh to cut into I guess with how skinny they are.

Burned 3 batteries on a GoPro chesty, but haven't yet checked it out. Definitely want to see that crash of mine. Definitely want to go again. I really liked the terrain. It was shockingly soft. I kept thinking that maybe my tires were flat, since the ground was so soft (I ran relatively high pressure). Sometimes you'd be riding over beds of pine needles, sometimes fast hardpack, sometimes some San Juan style dirt, sometimes loamy stuff. Seems like it'd be really fun to ride it even faster, but I pity the guy who tries to go fast in those high exposure spots.

official eMpTyBRain
    Definately post the crash portion of your video.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sounds like a great ride! Gotta see that video!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I knew I'd be missing out. I'll catch a SART ride soon enough.

Mountain biker vs small tree - YouTube

Not knowing the trail and being reckless leads such situations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My head is stuck in a tree! Awesome!

Hey at least you had fun. Trail looks like a blast.

mtbr member
    Just curious if the water is on @ the campground to refill? Hoping to ride PO-Southfork in 2 weeks. Usually good with a full Camelbak, but, would be good to know if i have an option to top off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast