[paste title here]

SART Ride report (lot of pics)

Thought Id post a new thread to the existing, "SART Conditions". But this time with a report and pics.

Santa Ana River Trail (SART)

Well now that summer is over and school has just begun (already started for me) a couple of us (oliver, tin, durfy, me) decied that we needed to do a end of the summer epic ride. So we decided to ride SART. Took a couple days of researching into the trail, where to go, and the general area and we got most of the info we needed. Of course someone who knew the trail would be better. Anyways, we had palnned an earlier ride in Aug but that got cancelled and moved to Labor Day weekend.

Labor Day weekend arrived and all of us were getting ready for the 30 mile epic planned. Bikes get checked, chains, food, and most importantly H2O. We left our house around 6:30 and decided to meet oliver up at the parking lot at the mini mart. There we bought the 5$ adventure pass and drove a 1/4 of a mile down the road too a turnout to park. There was already a group of other people getting ready to ride SART and we decided that it would be good if they showed us around.

After getting all the bikes unloaded, we headed back up to the mini mart and right behind it was a fireroad that led up for about a mile and thats where we reached the 2E03.

Once we go the the actual SART trailhead, Durfy had a lil technical difficulty. He had a bad case of chain suck. Luckly the guys who showed us around helped him out and got out the chain, saving him from a lost ride.

Posing a pic with my bike

Well we started the trail and the decent is fast and fun. The trail is very narrow (hence the name singletrack) and was very exposed on the side. There was some climbing involved but nothing too difficult. The tree dodging and protrouding rocks was the most challenging part of the trail. But the spectucular views of the San Bernadino Mtns and cool mtn air helped keep us relaxed.

Also some stream crossings

If you look closly, you can spot two riders

Well after about 18 miles of roller coaster singletrack, we reached the "end" of the trail. It was located at South Ridge Campground and this was a good spot for a lunch break.

We chilled here for a bit and then we headed back up SART and headed back to the cars. What a trip this would be. We were all tired doing 18 miles of singletrack and going back would be interesting. However, most the trail was going down, so we wouldnt get tired out much.

Resting before going again

My Bike

After finsihing about 8 miles of singletrack, we were faced with a decision, either take another 8 miles of single track back (which was mostly uphill) of take a fireroad back which was uphill but easier. Of course we decided to take the fireraod and after aobut and hour of climbing we ending back at the cars and happy to know that we had finsihed 30.02 miles. What a great trip!!

Group Pic

Well thats all for this very long write up, but I hope everyone sees the fun we had riding this trail and if anyone is in SoCal you should make a trip to this place once. Its worth the trip. Well im off to heal, and hpefully I wont be sore tomrrow.....

Oh and thanks guys for showing us around the trail (sry never got your names)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Keep Pedaling

Just passing through....
    Looks like a fun ride, sorry I missed it. Nice pics too, thanks for posting them.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

If you have to ask...

Why are you

walking that tasty bit of singletrack in pic #8? That's one one of my favorite chunks of that trail!

miles (been known to enjoy a good cliff now and then)
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks like a good time. Looks like Durfee got a new helmet too.

J/W: Did Oliver run clipless? Or is he just sporting the shoes? (PIC #14)

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOOK
    Looks like a good time. Looks like Durfee got a new helmet too.

J/W: Did Oliver run clipless? Or is he just sporting the shoes? (PIC #14)
    Yeah he was running clips. Still slow though jk jk
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post, great pics! Looks like good time.

_
    Mar 2004
    great pix! looks like a fun ride, how long did it take you guys?

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    great pix! looks like a fun ride, how long did it take you guys?
    It took us about 7 hrs to finish 32 miles.
    Keep Pedaling

Trail rider and racer
    Great pictures, it looked like a great day to be riding, but it seems you dismounted on some of the nicer looking single track [in the photos anyhow]
    Trev!

giddy up!
    I've ridden the SART too many times to think about, and I never ride that section that they are hiking in the picture. That section changes daily, is much steeper than it looks, is wicked loose, and was only recently cleaned up to where it was even remotely ridable. A fall in this section would mean a 15-20 foot freefall, followed by a long, long tumble.

That, coupled with the fact that I personally know of two people who have taken some pretty horrible falls on this trail....one spent several days in the hospital, one is now paralyzed.

I also had two friends find a guy in full cardiac on the the trail, who died moments after they arrived, inspite of their administering CPR.

Sooo, don't knock the kid just yet, the trail can be more intimidating than it looks in pictures for aperson who is not familiar with it.

Just a thought:-)

Glad to see more people are riding the trail though!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

[paste title here]
    Yeah that part of the trail is pretty steep. It drops off like 20 ft into jagged rocks. Kinda scary. At first I was wondering why everyone was walking and I saw that it was very loose and you can fall down easily if your not careful. But thats cool that everyone wonders why we walked it. Most of the trail we rode and it was a heck of lot of fun.
    Keep Pedaling

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Yeah that part of the trail is pretty steep. It drops off like 20 ft into jagged rocks. Kinda scary. At first I was wondering why everyone was walking and I saw that it was very loose and you can fall down easily if your not careful. But thats cool that everyone wonders why we walked it. Most of the trail we rode and it was a heck of lot of fun.
    That section is really freaky! It does however look like they cleaned it up a little - I had a hard time walking it a few months ago - very unnerving to take a step and have your foot sink and slide down toward the abyss....

Nice pictures, mtbiker dude !

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I've ridden the SART too many times to think about, and I never ride that section that they are hiking in the picture. That section changes daily, is much steeper than it looks, is wicked loose, and was only recently cleaned up to where it was even remotely ridable. A fall in this section would mean a 15-20 foot freefall, followed by a long, long tumble.

That, coupled with the fact that I personally know of two people who have taken some pretty horrible falls on this trail....one spent several days in the hospital, one is now paralyzed.

I also had two friends find a guy in full cardiac on the the trail, who died moments after they arrived, inspite of their administering CPR.

Sooo, don't knock the kid just yet, the trail can be more intimidating than it looks in pictures for aperson who is not familiar with it.

Just a thought:-)

Glad to see more people are riding the trail though!

B

gets lost on so many people. Miles is most definately making fun of himself for this little episode he experienced on a trail with a "little" exposure.

For what it's worth, when we rode that trail two years ago, everybody (Miles included) had their feet planted firmly on the ground.

YR

mtbr member
    That section the guys are walking up is just one corner below where my buddy Greg went off the side while descending it, back in July. All the tai quon do paid off...he only dislocated his shoulder. The bad news is that he's still off the bike and awaiting surgery to repair torn things.

120 pounds of xc sex!

anyone know..

where to start the trail, and what directions to take while on the trail? looks killer!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by miles

miles (been known to enjoy a good cliff now and then)
    Just so you know Miles, your little experience has popped into my head every time I ride a trail with any kind of exposure. You've probably saved me some serious injury....
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

If you have to ask...

Well, I'm glad SOMEBODY learned something

from my experience. I was worried that psychological scars would match the physical ones, but it hasn't been the case.
    YetiRider and I (and a couple of wankers) went to Nevada and Utah a few months after my accident, and we rode (well, YR and I did. The wankers walked mostly) Bootleg Canyon in LV and Gooseberry in Mormonland. There was plenty of exposure, but it didn't bother me a bit.

But then, it had never really bothered me before, so why should things change? Here's a photo of me standing on a rock, holding my bike up in the air. It was a very windy day, and the backside of the rock was nothing but air for hundreds of feet. Several others along on the ride tried similar poses, but only YR managed to overcome the instinct for self-preservation and stand on that rock.

miles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    from my experience. I was worried that psychological scars would match the physical ones, but it hasn't been the case.
    YetiRider and I (and a couple of wankers) went to Nevada and Utah a few months after my accident, and we rode (well, YR and I did. The wankers walked mostly) Bootleg Canyon in LV and Gooseberry in Mormonland. There was plenty of exposure, but it didn't bother me a bit.

But then, it had never really bothered me before, so why should things change? Here's a photo of me standing on a rock, holding my bike up in the air. It was a very windy day, and the backside of the rock was nothing but air for hundreds of feet. Several others along on the ride tried similar poses, but only YR managed to overcome the instinct for self-preservation and stand on that rock.

miles
    So, what you're saying, Miles, is that you hit your head in the Carrizo Gorge?

"Michael did it, too" doesn't make it sane.

If you have to ask...

Sure, I hit my head

and pretty much every other part of me, too. Repeatedly.

Still, the photo above was taken well before the Carrizo incident, on a trail that a number of riders I know won't ride because of their fear of heights (and as one put it, "I have to be able to work so my kids don't starve"). Honestly, I'd never even noticed the exposure until others started commenting on it.

Here's a photo YR took of me on a trail I have made world-famous (an honest assessment. The video has been downloaded literally millions of times). This was a couple of years ago.

miles

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So, is this trail closed down now? I've never ridden it - but would sure like to before it gets too cold around here ... but don't really know if this is one of the trails included in some of the massive closures that have been taking place.

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    So, is this trail closed down now? I've never ridden it - but would sure like to before it gets too cold around here ... but don't really know if this is one of the trails included in some of the massive closures that have been taking place.
    Hmm SART closed? I think they were talking about the Clevland Nat Forrest but maybe the Angeles was affected also? Im not being much of help here. Ive been on it once but I want to go some more too. If it is closed than thats a bummer. Anyone know if SART gets snow during the winter seasons?
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member

There are a number of places to fall

Make a little mistake and over you go link
    The bike suffered more than the rider, he got a bloody ankle and a few bruises.