mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Santiago trail via Joplin youth camp road...

I've been out of moutain biking for a while and just recently found my motivation. I've been out for about 5 years now. I used to ride a trail up to Santiago truck trail that started out at the Joplin youth center. We used to park at Sr. Lico's (sp - and probably not there now) and ride up about .5 miles of paved single lane to a fence that skirted the youth camp. The trail was a steady climb up to the truck trail were a turn south led to Old Camp and a turn right took you to the Luge. Does that trail past the youth center still exist? I know years ago there was debate over who owned/controlled the property and there are som ominous trespassing signs leading up to it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Anybody know the name of that trail?

We used to ride that trial up to Old Camp, and then back down the Luge, onto Live Oak down to the Monestary and then onto some singletrack through O'Neil and back to Sr. Lico's. It's about a 2 hour ride that we used to do at night. I'd like to ride it again as I really liked that particular climb vs. coming from Whiting.

jrm
    mtbr member

Sounds like "Joplin Trail"

Quote Originally Posted by C3_43
    I've been out of moutain biking for a while and just recently found my motivation. I've been out for about 5 years now. I used to ride a trail up to Santiago truck trail that started out at the Joplin youth center. We used to park at Sr. Lico's (sp - and probably not there now) and ride up about .5 miles of paved single lane to a fence that skirted the youth camp. The trail was a steady climb up to the truck trail were a turn south led to Old Camp and a turn right took you to the Luge. Does that trail past the youth center still exist? I know years ago there was debate over who owned/controlled the property and there are som ominous trespassing signs leading up to it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Anybody know the name of that trail?

We used to ride that trial up to Old Camp, and then back down the Luge, onto Live Oak down to the Monestary and then onto some singletrack through O'Neil and back to Sr. Lico's. It's about a 2 hour ride that we used to do at night. I'd like to ride it again as I really liked that particular climb vs. coming from Whiting.
    which is the connector to Santiego. I remember it as being mostly hike a bike though. BUt its been a while since i rode in so. cal.

giddy up!
    Nah, joplin trail runs from the main divide down to "old camp"(at the creek).

The trail that you are thinking of still exists, although it is in a sad state of repair. I believe that the legality controversy is still going on. I think it is called rose canyon.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

The trail that you are thinking of still exists, although it is in a sad state of repair. I believe that the legality controversy is still going on. I think it is called rose canyon.
    So I guess not many people are riding it? I used to really like that climb. As for names, I'm terrible at remembering them. I've been mountain biking for about 17 years now and I still can't remember the names of most of the trails I've ridden - I just ride! My favorite trail? "It's that one that's, uhhhh..., you know it has that section that.... uhhhh... nevermind, I'll show you..."

Chillin the Most
    Not sure what ya'll are talking about, but one of my buds and I just rode Joplin to Old Camp to the Luge about 2 weeks ago. It was a blast. We came up (shuttled, we did it on 50lb DH rigs) Maple Springs and left a car at Cooks to get back to the other car. Schweet!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

There is a 'lower Joplin' trail which runs down from STT...I belive that it goes through the juvenille detention center (have to climb fences) and dumps you out on Rose Canyon Rd...so some may also call this trail Rose Canyon trail. I've never ridden it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    There is a 'lower Joplin' trail which runs down from STT...I belive that it goes through the juvenille detention center (have to climb fences) and dumps you out on Rose Canyon Rd...so some may also call this trail Rose Canyon trail. I've never ridden it.
    That's the trail I'm talking about. You used to be able to go up the paved road and then take a trail that skirted the North edge of the juvie detention center that led to an access gate and a nice climb up to STT. Anybody ridden that lately, and is it rideable?

Over the Hill
    I have not tried it, but I have been warned...Orange County Probation, people that run Joplin Boys Camp, are nasty and don't want us near the camp.

Looking down from STT it seems to be getting some use, but not from bikes. Last Sunday I rode the first a couple hundred feet of Lower Joplin Trail off STT and saw no other bike tracks. I suppose we could call Probation and ask their policy?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Yep, Rose canyon. It's a "fire" road that comes off Santiago truck trail just passed the winter water hole( you know the one). Came down it a few months ago, it was overgrown and sketchy which made it soo fun. When you get down to the youth camp there is a huge washed out section of road that takes a bit of hiking to get across, then you just go around the fences and down the road.