mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Santiago Oaks trail recommendation

Can someone recommend to me a trail (or trail network) at Santiago Oaks, one that would take 2-3 hours to ride? I've never ridden there, but am looking for technical singletrack or whatever is considered the must-do trail.

I have a map of the place, which I found online. I also tried searching online, where everyone seems to recommend coming down Chute and Waterfall, but I can't find those trail names on the map. Did the trail names change or am I looking at the wrong map?

Anyway, I'm driving down to Irvine from Glendale tomorrow for work and was hoping to get some riding in if possible. Gotta find some new trails now that the Angeles is burnt up!

Thanks.

mtbr member

2 Hours?

If you want 2 hours at Santiago Oaks you're going to become very familliar with the 3 *****es.
    I'd say up the first two *****es using the little singletrack on the right for the second B, when that st hits the fireroad in a few hundred yards you'll have 4 choices. Left is the fireroad back to the main fireroad. The first 2 trails make you hike a bike up to the East ridge, the 2 to the right take you back to the bottom of the *****es; Id say take on of the right trails an take them to the bottom.
    Back up the first 2 *****es, past the forst gate and the picnic table on the top of the second ***** and take the forst left down the ridge West of the *****es, and then...
    Back up not 2 but 3 *****es to the top of robbers roost (under the power tower). If you like drops go around the left edge of the fance on the start of the singletrack and look around. First little spot has a couple lines to 3-4 ft to trans. the next ridge a few feet ahead has some bigger stuff.
    Follow the singletrack out of that area the same way you came in and head down the ridge with a short climb. At the end of the ridge you can go left on 2 trails that join, right on one of the most technical trails I've ridden in the park which takes you back under the *****es. Theres a trail on the end of the ridge called not reccomended ;p that I've not ridden which drops you by the dam.
    Left off the ridge is my most common way down, very fun but no drops and rideable by most except for the short climb out of the creek at the end.
    If you make 2 trips up the first 2 Bs and 2 trips up all 3 you should gat 2 or 3 hours with some serious fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You could also throw in a Weir Canyon loop to add a few miles. Go to geoladders.com to see the route

mtbr member
    Start going up the 3 B's. Then once at the top of the third B go down the chutes. It is a really fun downhill. If you want an easier route to climb rather than the B's climb up the new Goat Trail. It is relatively easier IMO compared to the 3 B's, although both are fun climbs. At the top of the goat, you will be able to ride the bottom of the chutes. The top section is fairly technical and fun. If you want to throw in some extra time go around Irvine Park. It will add some time. There is so many more routes available out there. I can easily spend almost 4 hours in this area.
    2007 Enduro Pro SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Santiago Oaks is legit. I went down there once with a friend and him and his dad dragged us around on out bikes for 5-6 hours.