18 years old
    Feb 2005

Santiago Oaks is so nice!

I just recently hopped back on the bike, and took a little solo trip up to Santiago Oaks, and man, have some people put in some work up there. And a big thank you to those who smoothed out the first downhill section, that is a fun section now. There are a few 'constructed' jumps now instead of the plain old natural booters, and a few added drops.

Today, Tuesday April 15, I saw about 10 riders in my trip. Some taking photos, some just out for a group ride. I hope to see you all out on the trail!
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    how do i get there from san fernando valley ? i saw some videos and it looks pretty nice, specially those little jumps. =)

also so far is the climb up and how long is the down hill section ?
    can we shuttle or do we have to ride the trail with our bikes, i just asked because if we can shuttle we might do it twice. just wondering ?
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    http://www.ocparks.com/santiagooaks/

Santiago Oaks Regional Park
    2145 N. Windes Drive
    Orange, CA 92869
    (714)973-6620 or (714)973-6622

you can also park in the near by grocery store for free and ride over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I went to SO for the first time yesterday. Boy was I surprised... first of all, the uphill there makes Big red at peter's look like an ant hill. Second, the single track that veers off to the right, near the table half way up the big hill, is downright scary at parts with the rock stairs and whatnot.

Just as I was starting to get really confident, I felt like a beginner all over again! But I'm so happy to have that trail close by my house to keep pushing my limits for some time to come.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    thanks for the direction ! me and my friends will check it out.

by the way how long is the climb ? how many miles ?

is there a way you can shuttle it up or do we have to ride it up, just wondering ?
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi
    how do i get there from san fernando valley ? i saw some videos and it looks pretty nice, specially those little jumps. =)

also so far is the climb up and how long is the down hill section ?
    can we shuttle or do we have to ride the trail with our bikes, i just asked because if we can shuttle we might do it twice. just wondering ?
    You used to be able to shuttle it, not sure anymore it's been a few years since my group has ridden there. They've pretty much cut the balls off anything technical from what I've seen. Pretty much like riding Peters Canyon now. Too bad, because waterfall was a blast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Most people ride/hike up the 3-B's then to the top of the Peak, ride the DH section down and hike the bikes back up and ride it again, repeat until your hearts content, then ride it out 1 last time to the car.

The DH section is not very long at all, but it offers a short semi-technical place to get your frills in on a weekday without too much effort.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    is it a loop ?

we might hit up the trail this weekend, is there any other trail that you guys can suggest that is something similar or more technical than santiago oaks ?
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Waterfalls used to be WAY sicker. They have taken out quite a few sections from that, but the tricky right angled rock/rut turn is still there! As far as shuttling and the climb, I would say it is not worth it to shuttle, and the climb up the three B's is quite an effort. Ok, maybe a little more than an effort.
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    i see, you think a 40 - 41 lbs bike would be able to do it ? well it does not really matter coz me and my friends sometimes ride xc or all mountain trail with our freeride / downhill bikes so were kinna used to it but if we can shuttle it up and do 2 runs until late afternoon then it would be even better since were 40 - 45 minutes away from this trail.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckaMan
    Most people ride/hike up the 3-B's then to the top of the Peak, ride the DH section down and hike the bikes back up and ride it again, repeat until your hearts content, then ride it out 1 last time to the car.

The DH section is not very long at all, but it offers a short semi-technical place to get your frills in on a weekday without too much effort.
    I would suggest this method for you and your buddy. The climb is doable on a DH/FR bike, and each downhill section is short enough to hike it back up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Wan Kenobi
    i see, you think a 40 - 41 lbs bike would be able to do it ? well it does not really matter coz me and my friends sometimes ride xc or all mountain trail with our freeride / downhill bikes so were kinna used to it but if we can shuttle it up and do 2 runs until late afternoon then it would be even better since were 40 - 45 minutes away from this trail.
    I ride my 40lb Turner 6 Pack on this trail 4 days a week. It's good for you! It just makes going down that much better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ZipsBiker
    I ride my 40lb Turner 6 Pack on this trail 4 days a week. It's good for you! It just makes going down that much better.
    As do all climbs. I'm with you, just climb it!

Dohh!
    I concur, the trail is 100% better than it once was. The first down hill after the 3rd B is roller coaster ride now and it stays that way all the way down (either into Irvine Park or Weir Canyon Park). The starting of the 3 B's are more doable now that they aren't so sandy. Just rode this morning and had a great ride.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Since this is back up at the top...They took a lot of technical riding out of Santiago Oaks, so I went to Laguna today.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This may be an odd question. I was wondering if Santiago Oaks can be reached by taking the inside trails of Irvine park? I have only been to Irvine once so I'm not too familiar with the area. Kind of like getting 2 birds with one stone. Thanks.