I AM PEDALING!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Santiago Oaks is CLOSED

Santiago Oaks is CLOSED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guy's,

I know Oaks is a big favorite to a lot of us around here, so I need some help spreading the word.....

Oaks is CLOSED for at least the next 2 weeks.

While at The Path this morning they got a call from a former ranger, that is a mountain biker, asking to spread the word. It is still considered a hot spot to the fire fighters, and the park rangers need time to get a look at the damage done.

He says that even though it is already closed, and has not yet been opened, there are people riding there. They have also had hikers, and just plain looky loo's.

It's gonna take some time, but it will open back up. But for the time being, let everybody you know to PLEASE stay out. It will benifit us all in the future.

Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

Recovering Weight Weenie
    uh-oh....lots of shuttle monkeys and dh wanna-be's are going to be frustrated! =)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    uh-oh....lots of shuttle monkeys and dh wanna-be's are going to be frustrated! =)
    since when have they ever followed the rules

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Crash!!! I never thought I would be bummed out over a trail fire. Feels kinda' strange not riding OAKS for a few weeks.

Keep us posted when they do open it up again.

mtbr member
    Maybe they need bigger CLOSED signs... *shrug*

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Maybe they need bigger CLOSED signs... *shrug*
    What an A-hole
    That person should be banned from egoladders, or at least a temporary ban.

I AM PEDALING!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! A Little Update

Here's a little update from a friend that is the park representitive for SHARE;

"March 20, 2006

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to meet with Santiago Oaks Regional Park Senior Ranger, Don Zeigler, regarding the effects of the Windy Ridge Fire on Santiago Oaks Regional Park . Don was kind enough to take me on a vehicle tour of the park in order to survey the damage of the fire. About 85-90% of the park was burned. Due to the severity of the damage, the park will be completely closed until April 2, 2007. On that date the lower section of the park will be opened to trail users. This section of the park to be opened starts at the ranger station and ends at the bottom of the first “*****”. Basically, the only opened trails will be the fire roads that are located on the lower section of the park, for now.

The next sections to be opened will be the ridgelines leading to Irvine Park . None of the single tracks will be opened until trail repairs have been completed. Realistically, it will take a tremendous amount of volunteer work in order to get these trails re-opened. The fire burned all of the brush making the legal and illegal trails very visible, “scaring” of the hillsides included. We will be asked to put together crews to repair the trails. At this time, we don’t have any dates on when the second phase of trail openings will occur, but my best guess would be another 1-2 months for the ridgeline and up to a year for the balance of the trail system. I will notify everyone as we move along through the process. In my opinion, we can accelerate the process once the initial shock wears off.

As you know the park is officially closed to all users, but many people have chosen to ignore that fact. Last weekend alone, there were 90 cars counted over near the Weir Canyon entrance, plus additional users coming in through Irvine Park . They will begin ticketing this week.

Because of this, they have requested that SHARE set up a Trail Patrol program for the park.

Our job as patrollers will be to persuade people to stay out of the park so we can work to get everything re-opened. "

I know everybody out there enjoys riding at Oaks. Let's giv'er a rest, and let the Rangers concentrate on what need's to be done for the recovery of the park, not make them waste time chasing poachers.

Thanks in advance to you all for helping out, by staying out.

"Crash" Maxwell

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the update. I have also heard it could take as much as one year for the entire system to reopen. I understand enviornmental sensitivites, trail repairs and government related concerns could keep a trail closed for a bit of time- still confused what types of repairs are so necessary they could take one year to complete??? Just trying to understand...

Also want to know if the public can help with trail maintainence/ repairs. If so, how does one get involved?|

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRTRIDR
    Also want to know if the public can help with trail maintainence/ repairs. If so, how does one get involved?|
    Since I've participated in a couple of Warrior Society events I get emails from them. Here's some info from an email dated 3-18:

"The SHARE Mountain bike club and the Warrior's Society will be arranging a Trail Work Day in mid-April to assist with the restoration.

[...]

In the mean time, the County and especially the Santiago Oaks Park Staff, led by Head Ranger Don Ziegler, Maureen Beckman, and Jonathan need the help of knowledgeable trail folks in and around the park. If you have time and would like to volunteer, call the park's direct line, 973-6620. I'm sure you can respect how monumental of a task it is to deal with a restoration on this level, so please be patient with the situation. Let's show our beloved park and its hardworking staff every consideration we can, and if you can help, please do."