mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Santa Monicas: Roger's Road?

How does this trail compare to Sullivan Canyon. Is it a ridge top/side trail, or does it go through a canyon?

I've been riding about 3 years in the area, but had never tried Sullivan until recently (mostly I ride Chesebro, Sycamore, Malibu area, and Las Robles). Wow, it was lots of fun! I can't believe my friends never took me there before. Are the other trails in the area as good?

mtbr member
    Roger's Road is singletrack (on old roadbed) that flows around the ridges. A lot of up and down to keep you working. Another very fun trail. The upper section is probably hot today but it gets shady as you go lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, probably not a good mid-afternoon ride today.

5 x 5

Fewer technical moves than Sullivan

As in, no technical moves. A couple of really fun high-speed sections. Gorgeous views. Hardtails, no problem.

Keep your head up for hikers, especially on weekends, especially below the oak tree (an unmistakable landmark, right after 'the rainforest').

Fun to climb from the bottom, too, if you like climbing.

BTW, also known as "the Backbone" (one of several sections open to bikes).
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Sullivan - the better ride

By far - especially at night. The heavy rains two winters ago really blew a new trail through the canyon. Entering from the north there is a fast descent into the canyon that gradually flattens out after maybe a mile. The trail then gets enveloped in a canopy of gorgeous trees that swoops you back and forth of the creek bottom. Plenty of technical challenges in the form of drops, quick turns, and water crossings that come upon you in a hurry. The distance to the end is maybe a little over 3 miles - One of my favorite trails. If you start out at the Caballero trail head off Reseda Blvd. you'll make this one a favorite too.