Knomer

Santa Monica's alert: Trail crew camped at the bottom of J-drop (again)

Rode down into Rustic Canyon this morning(Jan 3), and found the trail crew setting up camp again... 40 x 40 tent and all the equipment. It looks like they will be camped there at least 7 days, and hiking up the Royal J in order to do work on the Backbone above the bridge.

If you were planning on hiking down J-drop with your bike, I would wait at least a week.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Rode down into Rustic Canyon this morning(Jan 3), and found the trail crew setting up camp again... 40 x 40 tent and all the equipment. It looks like they will be camped there at least 7 days, and hiking up the Royal J in order to do work on the Backbone above the bridge.

If you were planning on hiking down J-drop with your bike, I would wait at least a week.
    did you show them how to build jumps??
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    They were down there this AM as well.

mtbr member
    new sign on J, be careful out there.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    new sign on J, be careful out there.
    What does the sign say specifically?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    well, it doesn't say anything, but there's a picture of a bike in a circle with a big red line through it. I inferred that that means no bikes but there's probably a more creative way to interpret it. oh, there's is a sign below it that says "no horses".
    nothing witty here...

b a n n e d
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for some reason I have been under the impression that bikes have never technically been allowed on J-Drop?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Warrior's Society
    well, it doesn't say anything, but there's a picture of a bike in a circle with a big red line through it. I inferred that that means no bikes but there's probably a more creative way to interpret it. oh, there's is a sign below it that says "no horses".

Yeah, was just up there.....makes it pretty clear for the bikes and horses.

On a side note.....Backbone is in great shape....climbed it for the first time today. Last time I was out there...you could barely see the trail the grass was so tall.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    On a side note.....Backbone is in great shape....climbed it for the first time today. Last time I was out there...you could barely see the trail the grass was so tall.
    Sweet. Maybe I'll hit it this weekend.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Sweet. Maybe I'll hit it this weekend.
    Nah, you have to ride somewhere else, with me...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Yeah, was just up there.....makes it pretty clear for the bikes and horses.

problem is that jdrop has been ridden for years,so it has some historical significance. The fact that parks has put a sign on it now means there will be more bike traffic funneled down to WRSP which is already a narrow, difficult multi-use trail populated with lots of hikers lacking all kinds of common sense.

backbone is in great shape right now, will be really fun in a couple months when more lines take shape and the weather has had some influence.
    Last edited by 2w4s; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    I inferred that that means no bikes but there's probably a more creative way to interpret it.
    Specifically it means no 'white' bikes, or whatever color paint was used to illustrate the bike on the sign.

Yeah, really a shame that the land managers can't understand that funneling some bike traffic off of lower WR Backbone is a good thing.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for some reason I have been under the impression that bikes have never technically been allowed on J-Drop?
    You are correct. Any trail within Cali State Park boundaries that is 'narrower' than double track is deemed off limits to bikes unless signed otherwise. This wording covers their ass so they don't have to post a 'no bikes' on every little single-track in California.

Basically, if it's a singletrack, it needs to say 'multi-use' in order to ride a bike on it legally.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes