That's gonna leave a mark

Santa Monica Mtns & Simi Hills closed

Pretty obvious, considering the proximity of the fires, but still worth posting an official notice:

All National Park Service property in the Santa Monica Mountains and Simi Hills has closed due to extreme fire danger through Wednesday, October 24, 2007. Strong Santa Ana wind conditions are forecast through that time, creating hazardous conditions and greatly increasing the likelihood of a wildland fire. “Our first priority is to ensure the safety of the public,” said Woody Smeck, superintendent of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. “The risk of someone being trapped by a wildland fire or accidently starting one during this exceptionally dangerous weather is too high, and has forced us to act.”

The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning from early Sunday through Wednesday due to a combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures, which can create explosive fire growth potential.

The closure includes all parking lots, trailheads and trails. The contact station at Circle X Ranch is also closed. However, the NPS Visitor Center in Thousand Oaks will remain open daily from 9am until 5pm.

Other park agencies in the Santa Monica Mountains have also closed during this time. All California State Park lands are closed except for coastal beaches. Sites managed by the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority, the Conejo Open Space and Conservation Authority and the Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District are also shut through Wednesday.

The National Park Service manages numerous sites throughout the national recreation area in Los Angeles and Ventura counties. These include:

Fryman Canyon
    Franklin Canyon Ranch
    Solstice Canyon
    Castro Crest
    Peter Strauss Ranch
    Paramount Ranch
    Cheeseboro/Palo Comado Cyns
    Rocky Oaks
    Zuma/Trancas Canyons
    Arroyo Sequit
    Circle X Ranch
    Rancho Sierra Vista/Satwiwa
    More information is available at www.nps.gov/samo Visitors may also call the NPS Visitor Center at (805) 370-2301 or e-mail samo_fire@nps.gov.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Tell Cosca to update the sign out there it said closed Sunday and Monday at the Los Robles trailhead, I saw it 30 mins, ago. If you are gonna write an essay leave the mis-information out, Sounds like something Scott-R would write.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by trail bait
    Tell Cosca to update the sign out there it said closed Sunday and Monday at the Los Robles trailhead, I saw it 30 mins, ago. If you are gonna write an essay leave the mis-information out, Sounds like something Scott-R would write.
    Just curious, is your ire directed at Upchuck for sharing this info or at the NPS for writing this "essay" of "mis-information"? Or am I way off base and you found the "Pretty obvious" part of Upchuck's statement to be misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by trail bait
    Easy, hotrod. I was quoting from the National Park Service's website. Rather than paraphrase, I figured it was prudent to allow everyone to read it as it was posted. That way there's no misinterpretation.

Besides, NPS is probably more of an authority than COSCA when it comes to trail status. Heck, COSCA hasn't updated their "News and Events" page for about a month.

BTW, how'd it go on the trail today with the smoke in the air?
    Fat fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Just curious, is your ire directed at Upchuck for sharing this info or at the NPS for writing this "essay" of "mis-information"? Or am I way off base and you found the "Pretty obvious" part of Upchuck's statement to be misleading?
    You know, BB, I guess I shouldn't have assumed his comment was directed at me. If not, my apologies.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Easy, hotrod. I was quoting from the National Park Service's website. Rather than paraphrase, I figured it was prudent to allow everyone to read it as it was posted. That way there's no misinterpretation.

Besides, NPS is probably more of an authority than COSCA when it comes to trail status. Heck, COSCA hasn't updated their "News and Events" page for about a month.

BTW, how'd it go on the trail today with the smoke in the air?
    It isn't that bad, I was out riding urban all day.

Glad to Be Alive
    like you would want to ride with all the smoke and the heavy winds
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    You know you have a valid point in regards to the NPS having more authority, my appoligies. The ride was quite, only saw two other riders, the smoke wasn't bad I'm to slow for it to bother me, and I smoke a pack a day. I will have you know I didn't ride till today. I was starting to climb the walls, I'm glad I got out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What mis-information have I inflicted on you lately - or ever?

Uh-oh. I was waiting for that.
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Hey are the trails open yet? The sign out at Los Robles is still out but hasn't been updated.
    ScottR1 I don't feel like purging on this forum, we've shared the same trails for many years and it's ok that we aren't friends. hey and how many riders is enough for me, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Upchuck - fear not. Get out on your trail! The trail they re-routed last Trail Days is one of mine, just south of your trail. The steepest bits are gone, but the new trail weaves in and out of gullies and brush and is more fun than the old route. That endo-maker gully will be replaced by an actual bridge, believe it or not.

Trail Bait - fair enough. Happy trails, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR1
    Upchuck - fear not. Get out on your trail! The trail they re-routed last Trail Days is one of mine, just south of your trail. The steepest bits are gone, but the new trail weaves in and out of gullies and brush and is more fun than the old route. That endo-maker gully will be replaced by an actual bridge, believe it or not.

Trail Bait - fair enough. Happy trails, bro.
    I was out of town the weekend you guys worked that trail. Talk about a pleasant surprise! Can't wait to go out and see the new route!
    Fat fanatic.