mtbr member
    May 2008

Santa Monica to Leo Carrillo on dirt?

Leo Carrillo has been a favorite destination for overnight bike camping trips for some friends and I for a while now. I'm fairly sick of riding PCH however so I'm trying to see if I can put together a route of trails, fire roads, etc that can take us from the Santa Monica area to Leo Carrillo with as little paved road time as possible.

I've been scouring the web for maps and info but I thought I'd see if anyone here has some suggestions or info about best options, areas to avoid, etc.

My current ideas for starting points are making our way to Sullivan Ridge Fire Road or taking the beach path to and up Temescal Canyon Road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    backbone

mtbr member

Santa Monica to Leo Carrillo on dirt?

Backbone is the way to go but there are sections that don't allow bikes. Check out the NPS map.

http://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/backbonetrail.htm

mtbr member
    Backbone trail is the way to go. I've done it a couple of times from home in the valley. I only go to Sycamore Cyn thou. First time I even carry my bike through Boney Wilderness

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    From the Westside I usually work my way over to dirt Mulholland (Will Rogers, Sulli etc.) and then over to the Millenium trails (usually via summit to summit - connect to it through Topanga SP/Cheney or Santa Maria) which you can take around to Las Virgines & connect to Malibu SP. I then usually Bulldog it to the Backbone and take that over to Sandstone peak. From there you can "find" you way over to Sycamore canyon (not sure this can be done legally), ride it down and then PCH to Leo . This overshoots it a bit. Instead of Sycamore canyon, once you get to the end of the backbone you can just ride down Yerba Buena to PCH or else take Little Sycamore to Mulholland to PCH.

It's complicated though, with a lot of turns. You'll need more than just a map, esp the on newer, unsigned sections of the backbone. There's a good guide that covers a lot of the trails you'll using called "Where to Bike - Ride Guide Los Angeles" that will be helpful. Also the Ventura County Trails website has good (mostly up to date) maps.

mtbr member
    ^ wow that sounds like a monster of a ride.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wow thanks, definitely going to scope this out! I looked at the backbone a bit but this sounds like a great starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    From the Westside I usually work my way over to dirt Mulholland (Will Rogers, Sulli etc.) and then over to the Millenium trails (usually via summit to summit - connect to it through Topanga SP/Cheney or Santa Maria) which you can take around to Las Virgines & connect to Malibu SP. I then usually Bulldog it to the Backbone and take that over to Sandstone peak. From there you can "find" you way over to Sycamore canyon (not sure this can be done legally), ride it down and then PCH to Leo . This overshoots it a bit. Instead of Sycamore canyon, once you get to the end of the backbone you can just ride down Yerba Buena to PCH or else take Little Sycamore to Mulholland to PCH.

It's complicated though, with a lot of turns. You'll need more than just a map, esp the on newer, unsigned sections of the backbone. There's a good guide that covers a lot of the trails you'll using called "Where to Bike - Ride Guide Los Angeles" that will be helpful. Also the Ventura County Trails website has good (mostly up to date) maps.