mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Santa Cruz - rental of bike and wich trail?

I am in Santa Cruz for two days and am trying to convince my GF that I should rent a bike and go riding on one of the local trails.

Can you recommend me a store where I can rent an ok full-suspension and a trail close to the city which is not to difficult to find my way around?

I have looked at Family Cycling center whivch seems quite good
    See http://familycycling.com/website/html/rides.html

Any info is highly appreciated :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite
    I am in Santa Cruz for two days and am trying to convince my GF that I should rent a bike and go riding on one of the local trails.

Can you recommend me a store where I can rent an ok full-suspension and a trail close to the city which is not to difficult to find my way around?

I have looked at Family Cycling center whivch seems quite good
    See http://familycycling.com/website/html/rides.html

Any info is highly appreciated :-)
    That would be one of the shops I'd recommend. At one time or another, the other 2 local shops that have rented demonstration bikes have been The Bicycle Trip and Another Bike Shop. All are good people /shops.

The two places closest to Santa Cruz to go riding would be Wilder Ranch State Park and Nisene Marks State Parks. There's some other stuff that we don't talk about on the list.

Of the two I mentioned, Wilder is more diverse, with open grassy ridges and meadows, forested canyons, fire roads and single tracks. Nisene has some single track down near the park entrance, but then above a certain point, is a long fire road climb / bomber descent. It is entirely forested. Both are beautiful places.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info :-)

Are the trails marked in any way?

I was in a bike store at Cathrat Rd I think where I could rent a test bike either an Ibis Mojo or a Specialized bikes and they also had some maps. I think I will rent a bike there if they also rent out helmets,

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Woops - thought I had posted this in the Norcal forum. I will try asking them guys as well :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite
    Thanks for the info :-)

Are the trails marked in any way?

I was in a bike store at Cathrat Rd I think where I could rent a test bike either an Ibis Mojo or a Specialized bikes and they also had some maps. I think I will rent a bike there if they also rent out helmets,
    Cathcart Street? That would be Spokesman Bikes. I bought a road bike from them a few years ago. Also a good shop. You could ride to Wilder from there. Just STAY OFF Mission Street. Ask the guys there how to ride via West Cliff to Wilder.

Signage at Wilder Ranch is good. Odds are if you come across something unsigned, it's not an official trail.

Here are links to a local club, and to a nifty online map with some panoramic photos

http://www.mbosc.org/

Virtual Parks map