mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Santa Barbara suggestions

Hi, me and one or two friends will be hitting the trails near Santa Barbara over the thanksgiving holiday. We'll probably hit the buckhorn trail in los padres national forest. We're looking for a cheap place to stay ... don't mind camping, but we want showers -- 3 days of riding w/o showers is beyond our limit.

Looks like the campgrounds near buckhorn are primitive. And the hostel in downtown SB requires you to have a passport or current student ID (what's that about?).

Any ideas? Also, any suggestions for other backcountry / technical singletrack rides?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtrees
    Also, any suggestions for other backcountry / technical singletrack rides?
    My wife and I enjoyed the Agua Caliente trail, but beware that the area behind the debris dam is a bog full of poison oak and wild rose (we ditched our bikes there), and there is a virtually insurmountable, breached natural dam upstream from there. Awesome swimming hole though.

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtrees
    Hi, me and one or two friends will be hitting the trails near Santa Barbara over the thanksgiving holiday. We'll probably hit the buckhorn trail in los padres national forest. We're looking for a cheap place to stay ... don't mind camping, but we want showers -- 3 days of riding w/o showers is beyond our limit.

Looks like the campgrounds near buckhorn are primitive. And the hostel in downtown SB requires you to have a passport or current student ID (what's that about?).

Any ideas? Also, any suggestions for other backcountry / technical singletrack rides?

Thanks!
    ramero & jesusita are great trails, but there isn't any camping on that side that i know of. there is some off the 154 by little pine & tequepis, but those trails aren't as technical. have fun!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

really sweet route

If you are up for a good technical route try this park 1 car at the bottom of jesusita Trail and one at the bottom of Cold Springs Trail then road it over to Romero Trail and climb then make a left on camino del cielo road and ride over to Cold Springs Trail shout down that sucker which is sweet and rocky then at the bottom pick up your car and shuttle to Tunnel Trail go down this sick narly trail and at the bottom make a right hand turn and climb to Jesusita Trail then descend Jesusita and call it a day. I am sure that it will take you most of the day to do this so start early and plan on riding hard. The downhills will work you as much as the uphills.

MTBR member-at-large

Upper Oso

One of my favs is the the upper oso campground to the top of little pine mtn. Its a long uphill fire road climb, but the views and back county experience is worth it. The best part is the excellent singletrack that flows for miles.

As far as camping goes, you should know it gets pretty cold at night. I live in the Santa Ynez Valley (on the other side of the mtns) and its been around 28 degrees in the moring at sunrise, pretty chilly!
    Better at pedaling than typing

Unshaven Yak
    Man, that Romero, Coldsprings, Tunnel, Jes combo sounds like it would leave me out of any more riding for a few days. I don't expect I would even be able to handle all that and truly enjoy all of it in one day. The tunnel descent will make you wish you had a rig that isn't quite as suitable for all the rest.

You would also have to have a water supply in your vehicle at each point of contact. Why not hit little pine and matias portrero...etc in the redrock area behind the hills? You could make it fun by climbing in using romero and then doing whatever once you're back there.

Watch for closure though if you're thinking about doing it this weekend, I just ran into a closed sign on Jes yesterday (extreme fire danger)...it was a peaceful ride

I'm sure there are going to be NO fires allowed back there with these winds.

Here's a URL I found that may help a little.Some Santa Barbara Trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

My 3 fav. santa barbara trails

In no particular order:

Little Pine Mt./Santa Cruz Trail: Rode it yesterday. The s-trac down is epic .... well worth the 3300 ft. climb. Bring lots of water and gu. Start early to avoid baking under the white bluffs. Pass if exposure freaks you out. 20 miles round trip.

Cammosa Connector (sp?): Start of the ride is the same as Little Pine. Moderate fire road climb - swoopy s-trak decent. About 12 miles I think. Always wanted to loop this ride in with Little Pine/Santa Cruz.

Romero (sp?): Nice figure 8 ride, nice s-track ride out.