mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Santa Barbara Ride Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I知 planning on coming down to Santa Barbara to get some riding in over the thanksgiving holiday and could use some ride recommendations. I live in the bay area and enjoy riding pretty much everything (dh trails in Pacifica, Soquel Demo Forrest, Tamarancho, Waterdog, etc). I値l be heading down with a few friends and we would like to ride some technical single track probably somewhere in the difficulty range of Soquel Demo Forrest for reference. Can you all recommend some trails? Appreciate the help!

Steven

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scardato
    Hello Everyone,

I知 planning on coming down to Santa Barbara to get some riding in over the thanksgiving holiday and could use some ride recommendations. I live in the bay area and enjoy riding pretty much everything (dh trails in Pacifica, Soquel Demo Forrest, Tamarancho, Waterdog, etc). I値l be heading down with a few friends and we would like to ride some technical single track probably somewhere in the difficulty range of Soquel Demo Forrest for reference. Can you all recommend some trails? Appreciate the help!

Steven
    Yeah, about that... The big question will be whether or not the trails dry out enough to be rideable by Thanksgiving. If it doesn't rain any more this week (looking at the latest forecast, this is likely the case), the usual front side trails (Jesusita, Romero Canyon, or if you're in a shuttling mood: Cold Springs, Tunnel, San Ysidro) will fit the bill for technical singletrack, but are likely to be very popular with hikers also. So please use a bell (they're in boxes at the trailheads) and ride as if there is a hiker around every blind corner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I too am coming to SB for Thanksgiving. I was born and raised there and used to mtn bike there all the time, but it has been a while. I live in Colorado now, flying in to visit the folks and eat some turkey. I am planning on bringing my bike, hoping trail conditions permit. What about the back side trails? How are they doing? I want to get enough riding in to make bringing the bike worth it. We are all covered in snow here now, just wanting to get out and ride. How is Ellings park for riding?

Glad to Be Alive
    bring some bells (to alert hiker - if you don't bring them it causes problems)....but shuttle tunnell .....rock gardens delight....it will beat you up

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Perfect Conditions

Rode out at Paradise Road (25 minutes over the hill from Santa Barbara) today; conditions and weather were perfect. Will be riding again tomorrow (Saturday 11/26) if anyone's keen on getting out. Plenty of superb singletrack on offer- give me a call if you're up for it: Jeff 805 3 two 5 1244.

Regards,

Jeff