mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Santa Barbara-this forum?

I assume SB is covered in this forum, and not the norcal forum.

used to live in SB years ago for school, but didn't do much mt. biking then, mainly drinking and going to ugly kid joe concerts in back yards.

i recall a cool mt bike trail however, it was pretty much a 10 minute drive from downtown, up past the riviera maybe?? can anyone help me with the name and basic details?? i will be there soon and want to do some xc-riding. what about post canyon, isn't there a cool trail there also?

any help to a former local and core xc-rider would be greatly appreciated. and all trails will be greatly respected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    SB is a great place to ride. Both Romero Canyon and Jesusita Trail (pretty technical) are only 10 min out of downtown. Even riding along the bluffs is fun, and yoi

I got a good map for the local trails at a LBS, but if I remember, "Hess" as the call it is off the Las Positas exit, up towards the mountains. After Las Positas turns into San Roque, go up the hill a bit and park at the trailhead just past the water treatment plant. Also another entrance on the other side, up mission canyon past the botanical gardens. Enjoy the rides!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    cool, thanks. i see the trail i was thinking of is called tunnel. i'll do more research.

Glad to Be Alive
    Ugly kid joe dates you man....the kids will be saying they hate everything about you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i know i know, but i don't feel that old! only 38. if it wasn't ugly kid joe it was toad the wet sproket, or some dude named john lyle pounding it out at the Open Door. Boy i sure miss SB. is the Open Door still around? it was bar on Front St. (sorry if i am bit off topic here....it's all in the spirit of a mt. bike ride tough!)

Don't skid
    Oh man you are old. I vaguely remember someone telling me about a concert place in old town Goleta that might have been called the Front door. I think it was where (or very near) what is now the Mercury Lounge, right on Hollister in Goleta.
    And your dating yourself even more if you are referring to Tunnel as an XC trail. The dirt has long been eroded off that trail, now its either gnarly, rocky DH on the way down or epic trials riding on the way up.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    so it's a good ride on the way up? i like the grind better than the DH. and i understand from other emails to be aware of those flying down, which is to be expected.

but the ride up is.....ridable?

trail rat
    The Open Door was a pub about four blocks up from Hwy 101 on State Street, back when it had stop lights and no underpass). Half and full yards of Bass Ale. I lived in SB from 1979-1990, and I think it was there through the mid 1980s. I remember ending many many mountain bike rides there with a half yard. Ah, the good old days!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by William D
    so it's a good ride on the way up? i like the grind better than the DH. and i understand from other emails to be aware of those flying down, which is to be expected.

but the ride up is.....ridable?
    IMO no its not rideable up. It'll will be hike-a-bike for a lot of sections. Sure you can get a bike up it but you won't be doing a whole lot of riding. If your into that then have at her. Jesusita would be a much better ride. But that just my opinion.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

i can't type the letter s
    Yea, the Open Door is not there anymore, but where "Hola Amigos" used to be is El Torito (and before Hola Amigos it was Espana back in the 70's). El Torito is a nice place to finish a ride, I also like the view at Harborside restaurant (the top is the bar and grill, Longboards). And there is the Downtown Brewery in Uptown SB, Hitchcock and State Street across from Bicycle Bob's, where the Cattleman's Inn used to be, with the iron horse in front. And you can't beat Rusty's Pizza either after a ride.

Slocaus do you remember when Stearns Wharf had the chain link fence at the entrance for years after the first fire on the wharf in what, 73? I went to school with a couple of the Toadies and partied with them in the mid 90's too.

Ahh the memories:

KIST radio anybody? The State theater that turned into a huge arcade? Picadilly Square? Creative Stereo in the Ott's center? Joe's? Oh, yeah Joe's is still there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I too went to school in SB (88-91) an was just back up there 2 weeks ago for an Eddie Vedder show at the Arlington. Of course we had to stop at Joe's to get primed.