Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Santa Barbara Bike Festival June 7th & 8th 2008

Who's going? XC Race on Sunday. Anyone raced it before? What is the course like? Any elevation? Temp?

I am going, but I have never been there before.

mtbr member
    I'm not a racer, but I ride there after work sometimes. The course is literally across the street from the beach, so no real elevation change. It consists mostly of fast well groomed singletrack lots of quick ups and downs w/ a few short road sections thrown in. The trails are mostly smooth hardpack w/ some nice little berms here and there. Weather should be great, sunny w/ a nice ocean breeze.

You can print out a course map on their website.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Temps should be mild this weekend. As Danimal noted, the climbs are not that long. The trail are pretty tightly packed into the area with lots of singletrack that meanders back and forth. I'll be doing the Sport XC race Sunday morning (and getting my arse handed to me). I'll be manning the Hazard's Cyclesport booth when I'm not racing. Stop by and say hi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    2Turners what age group , I see that we both race Sport and both get our arses politely beaten over ,I was just wondering if you are one of the many that I never see , oh yeah I out there on my TURNER ... FLUX Great bike just needs new motor.

Freedom Isn't Free
    Racing beginner. Rode it this weekend. Very nice course, not much climbing (several switchbacks). Weather is pretty much awesome all the time!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'll be racing 40-44 Sport. I'm hopefully be riding my Sultan if I can get my race-day-only wheelset finished in time. If not, I'll be on my Flux too. Great bikes. +1 on the need to upgrade the motor

Trying a little
    whats the website for this

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    whats the website for this?
    http://www.santabarbarabikefest.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    2Turners, I'll be starting in the wave behind you , I'm Sport 50-54 and our start is combined with the 45-49.I'll be the only Team Ape rider in my class and as stated before on a polished Flux , good luck , see you there. Chuck

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I'll be the guy in the Orange/Green Hazard's Cyclesport kit. I'll likely be the only guy you see on a Turner with Industry 9 wheels (blue on the Sultan, green on the Flux).

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Copied from website:

"Cross Country, Downhill, Super-D and Dual Salmon mountain bike racing"

Cool. I love a good head to head Salmon race. Wonder if they will have those little fish ladders to jump up?

Sounds like a fun event to kick around at.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sounds good. Hopefully being by the beach will keep us nice and cool. Anyone know how many miles the sport riders go? I'll be in the bright yellow jersey (hard to miss) with an old santa cruz sl.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The course has been lengthened this year from 4.5 to 6 mi. In the past it been:
    beginners 2 laps
    sports 3 laps
    experts 4 laps

SLO Mtn biker!
    Great race, great weather, great vibe, and the event was well organized/run! (by the SB group and Team Big Bear) Just a little bit more expensive $ than last year, but it's a good cause to support the bike park.

SB Bike Fest 2007 was my indoctrination into DH racing a month after I got my Uzzi, and now I've been at it for a year.

I took 2nd in my division. I think 2Turners might've been the guy who spanked me, dangit.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Good job on the 2nd place finish. It musta some been some other dude on a Turner. I don't do that DH racing stuff (yet). Didn't do much spanking in the XC race either. Had a good time, though. Weather was pretty much perfect for an XC race. And it was nice to have a race 2 miles from where I live.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    They did a really great job adding that new section, it was really fun! Man that hill off the start line was no fun though.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    They did a really great job adding that new section, it was really fun! Man that hill off the start line was no fun though.
    They did a good job getting the XC course together for the race. 3 weeks ago it was really overgrown and I had stopped riding over there. The new section after you cross the driveway (the steep-ish DH above the road) wasn't even open until Friday. I thought that section was a nice add.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I agree the new section was interesting , although climbing out the third time was tough , the new section took a beating it got looser each lap and like I mentioned the climb was getting pretty soft and lots of "walkers" by the third lap also made it difficult , but a really good time , so how did you do 2Turners , I saw you on the grid(I was Sport 50-54) but didn't make it up to say Hi.I got hammered on again,12th , but that was all I had.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The good news is I had 2 riders finish behind me. The not-so-good news was that I had 22 guys in front of me. Better than my last showing at Elings, when I finished off the back by 5+ minutes.

First XC race I've done this year. Been training for endurance events, rather than XC races. So I'm am definitely lacking in power and speed. But I can go slow for a long time.

Yesterday was my first race on the 29er, and it was a huge help in the loose climbing sections. The longer chainstays and bigger contact patch just allowed me to keep going forward on that last climb on the last lap. Passed a few guys who were walking that section at the end of the race. The course was in about as good of condition as it will be on Saturday before the race. It will now be blown out until we get some more rain. Can't wait for the September race.

I saw a couple of guys riding on polished Fluxes (Fluxi?). So I know I saw you around the venue. Just not sure which one was you.

SLO Mtn biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Good job on the 2nd place finish. It musta some been some other dude on a Turner. I don't do that DH racing stuff (yet). Didn't do much spanking in the XC race either. Had a good time, though. Weather was pretty much perfect for an XC race. And it was nice to have a race 2 miles from where I live.
    Thanks. Oh oops, I saw your post #6 below that said your category, but didn't see your 1st post that said XC.

Sounds like everyone had a great time! What a great day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

A great race.

How about that view! I swear its the reason I came saundering in at 13th place. Course was great, climbs were steep but I dont mind the switchbacks. Weather was perfect, I look forward to the next one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why did they change the start line to the other side of the hill?? Last year they had it on the grassy side and my family was psyched. This year, no bounce house and no grass, my race was great, but I got that look ( ) from my wife when I was done with my 2hr cruise in the park...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pics anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Though the playground side start/finish is more spectator friendly there are several reasons for the start location change. It's easier for the organizers to have all the racing: XC, SD, DS, and DH in one location. More parking, closer to the event. A lot of XC racer don't like the other start because it gets too bunched up on the 1st switchback climb. The fire road climb lets the race get sorted out before the first descent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes, as a racer I like having the start/finish on the sea side. It is a really fun course. It was just nice to have one race where the kids could play on the grass in the park. They also do a great job with the kids race which is nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast