mtbr member

Santa Barbara area trails recommendations wanted

Howdy fellow mtbrs, my husband and I are coming down from Santa Cruz to your fine area for the Xmas weekend. We'd like to do some 20 mile (approx) rides while there. What's the best source to find out about trails? Local guidebook? Trail map? What shop do we by it in? Any group rides going then?

What's the best campground? Thanks folks! Happy Hols everyone! Winona

trail rat
    This is one of the more comprehensive lists, many are MTB ride able.
    http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/hikes/index.shtml

The local MTB ride group.
    http://mountainbikesantabarbara.ning.com/

Santa Cruz trail and Camuesa Rd.
    From Little Pine / Santa Cruz trail

You cannot beat the Santa Ynez Valley Recreation area for beauty.
    http://www.wildernet.com/pages/area....050704&CU_ID=1

New Years day ride with everything from olde pharts to former pro racers.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/e...2423930&ref=mf
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    +1 for New Year's Day on Little Pine. Plenty of camping near the trailhead.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks guys! Anyone have a specific ride in mind? Around 20-30 miles long? I won't know what trails are legal/policed so just taking off on a bunch of listed hiking trails may not be wise.

After much searching on a topo map I have, I figured out Little Pine is a mountain that is near Oso Canyon. So I think the campground you're referring to is Upper Oso campground. I think the trail you recommend is Santa Cruz? So assume it's ok to ride on? For this area, is there a map online or for sale with some ride-able trails on it? Thanks for the help. On several trips, I've gone to new areas and ended up having a boring time because I didn't know where to go for a good ride.
    Last edited by Crazy Cat Lady; 12-20-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The usual route for Little Pine is to take Buckhorn Rd. to the top of Little Pine Mountain (around 12 miles) and then take Santa Cruz trail back down to Upper Oso (around 6 miles). There's camping at Upper Oso camp, along with other campgrounds along Paradise Rd (Fremont, Paradise, Los Prietos). If you want more improved facilities, there's also Cachuma Lake County Park a little further up highway 154.

As far as maps go, I know Hazard's Cyclesport in Santa Barbara has mountain bike trail maps of the Santa Barbara backcountry for sale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd add to Paul's info that if you are looking for 20-30 miles, it wouldn't likely be the trails on the front (SB) side of the mountains unless you used them as a starting point to access the backcountry. Most of the front side trails are I'd guess under 8 miles one way and around 2K feet of climbing (total guess, I've never actually tried to figure this out before).

Upper Oso is a good starting point for the longer stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Santa Cruz trail

have ridden this route several times - the past 3 times the wash-out on Santa Cruz trail was pretty hairy - the gravel slides continuously over the trail, about 10 feet wide - holding my bike while running as fast as I could, sinking into the gravel as the slide sped up - it dumps over about a 6 foot drop into cactus-like flora - and then stopping on the other side to clean out my shoes - kind of scary it is. It has been getting worse each time over the past more than a year. It's a great ride and relatively easy to navigate, esp. if the sign for the SC trail is still up. I hope to be there this weekend myself riding from the campground - it's a good 3+ hours ride, the views from the top are amazing. The climbing is all on fire road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Santa Cruz trail

have ridden this route several times - the past 3 times the wash-out on Santa Cruz trail was pretty hairy - the gravel slides continuously over the trail, about 10 feet wide - holding my bike while running as fast as I could, sinking into the gravel as the slide sped up - it dumps over about a 6 foot drop into cactus-like flora - and then stopping on the other side to clean out my shoes - kind of scary it is. It has been getting worse each time over the past more than a year. It's a great ride and relatively easy to navigate, esp. if the sign for the SC trail is still up. I hope to be there this weekend myself riding from the campground - it's a good 3+ hours ride, the views from the top are amazing. The climbing is all on fire road.

trail rat
    The slide area gets better with rains and worse when dry. I've been riding it since 1984, and it one of the best rides around.

From Camuesa Connector (out and back), Little Pine, Santa Cruz Trail

Note the Channel Islands in the far back view!
    From Camuesa Connector (out and back), Little Pine, Santa Cruz Trail

Upper potrero looks like this now.
    From Little Pine / Santa Cruz trail
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie