Jen Green
    May 2004

Santa Barbara area SS rides

Anyone have any suggestions on SS friendly trails in the Santa Barbara area? We rode Romero Canyon trail today which was very sweet once we climbed past the double track but the 10 mile climb on 2x1 was making me want to buy a bigger cog. We're willing to drive a couple of hours for some sweet trails so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We're here for another day and then back up to San Jose area. Thanks!

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution Cycle Jewelry
    Anyone have any suggestions on SS friendly trails in the Santa Barbara area? We rode Romero Canyon trail today which was very sweet once we climbed past the double track but the 10 mile climb on 2x1 was making me want to buy a bigger cog. We're willing to drive a couple of hours for some sweet trails so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We're here for another day and then back up to San Jose area. Thanks!
    yea, i think there is a trail called rear-derailer!! its great!

dtheo
    Sep 2005

ss in sb

as you can see the people of santa barbara are great at pointing out the obvious. most riders in sb can afford extravigant bikes with fancy shifting mechanisms. along with all of their riches, they also have the snobiest attitudes i have ever seen on mountain bikes. what kind of advice is rear derailleur for a trail head? my advice to you is ride and hike as far up as you can (on any trail) and ride down as fast as you can. you wont find a whole lot of "ss friendly trails" in santa barbara. come on up to norcal where the people accept you no matter what you are riding! if you need some advice on bay area rides, dont be scared to ask.

cheers!

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    ...DFT is from Sandy Eggo....Not Snotty Barbara....carry on ya'll.
    It wasn't me

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    ...DFT is from Sandy Eggo....Not Snotty Barbara....carry on ya'll.
    and i love to provoke and be a smart##, just too easy to do.
    the only trials i ride in SB (the front side trails, tunnel/coldsprings, san ysidro) are surely not SS friendly to say the least.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Little Pine and Camuesa Connector are your best bets. They both start at Upper Oso Campground out on Paradise Rd on the backside of the mountains.

Interesting preconception about Santa Barbara riders though. I thought it was our hikers that put across the snobby attitude, not the riders.

Edit: How did Romero turn into a 10 mile climb? I thought it was in the 4-5 mile range from the bottom of the fire road to the top of the ST at Cielo?
    Last edited by DHidiot; 02-27-2007 at 02:51 PM.

2:1
    mtbr member

they're all good

OP, you were the dude that came into my shop last week, asking if there was anything singlespeed-friendly. We (the singlespeeders) told you they were all killer, but 2:1 was probably too stiff. "Long" rides are more difficult to pull off, because most trails start off with a "warm-up" of 3000-4000' ascending, so by the top of that first climb, most riders- myself included- are looking for the barbecue and the beer wagon. But, it can be done. Jesusita you can get away with just 1500 feet of ascent, but the climb can seem like more "hike" than "ride," depending on what gear you've got.

I don't think the riders here are any more attitudinal than anywhere else. I've gotten more 'tude from folks in singlespeed meccas like Surf City, where I've caught a bunch of lip for running wussy "2 under" or "3 under" gear ratios. That's not "real" singlespeeding, so I'm told. Whateva...

pwn3rator
    you might be able to do tequepis. it is quite a bit smoother than the rest of the sb area trails. you can find directions in the trail review section of this site...
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.