mtbr member

Santa Barbara area rides?

Not finding alot in the trail reviews, any local knowledge you folks could point me to?

i'd like to take the wife and 3 yr old up there for a 4 day holiday, and I've managed to get loose for a couple early morning rides!

thanks!

cz

mtbr member
    what are you looking for? Shuttles or XC. I would recommend Jesusita, best of both worlds. I live at the bottom and have done it on everything from my hardtail Bontrager Race to my Stinky Primo. It rips no matter what.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero
    what are you looking for? Shuttles or XC. I would recommend Jesusita, best of both worlds. I live at the bottom and have done it on everything from my hardtail Bontrager Race to my Stinky Primo. It rips no matter what.
    XC.

how about camping in the area?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are you able to drive over to the backside of the mountains there? If so, and if things haven't changed dramatically in the decade since I've ridden there, there is a wealth of trails on the backside. Little Pine (officially kown as the Santa Cruz trail, but always called Litle pine back in the day) was always the most popular - about 12 miles up a fire road and 8 miles down a beautiful singletrack, or you can take the Camuesa Connector shortcut to knock about half the distance off the ride. There's a trail called snyder trail which descends from a place called Knapp's Castle on East Camino Cielo (the road at the top of the mountains). You can start at the top and ride back up the fireroad or drive around the backside and ride up and then back down. I always preferred the latter method. Unfortunately, its been so long that if I try to direct you to these trails, I'll definitely lead you astray, but i'm betting that you can use the names to find the trails via google and get more up to date info. You can always call a local bike shop for details.

I'd say Little Pine, Snyder, and the Angostura fireroad and trail are my 3 favourites on the backside. I have no idea if any of these are still open to bicycles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajonezzz
    XC.

how about camping in the area?

thanks!
    Ok so were at it again, everyone is welcome to come help. Saturday and the Sunday 3/1&2 trail building at the Stump Grinder Dirt Club just 40 minutes north of SB outside of Los Olivos. Work from 8 to 12 then ride the place and have a great time. It and awesome place for kids, and cajonezzz come on up and help and you can camp for free Saturday night! We're building a new DH course and a XC addition for the NMBS race in May, and we already have a Dual Slalom and the existing DH course, and 20 miles of XC riding that you all can ride after digging for a few hours! Both days there will be hotdogs and sodas at 12 Noon.

Please come on up and help!

Hecky
    (805) 896-0673

Equal opportunity meanie
    The Little Pine singletrack is pretty much non-existant from being washed away I think.

Just do Camuesa connector. Go to the Upper Oso campground out on Paradise Rd off of 154. Cross the first creek on Paradise and bear left towards Upper Oso from Lower Oso and park at the gate to the fire road. Go up the fire road a few miles and there will be a meadow on your right side. Follow the singletrack. Cross the creek at the bottom and pedal back. Best XC ride in SB IMO.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    AFAIK, Little Pine is still closed from the Zaca Fire. Last I heard, it won't be opened up until after the rain stops and the FS can evaluate the state of the backcountry.

Camuesa Connector is still open, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    AFAIK, Little Pine is still closed from the Zaca Fire. Last I heard, it won't be opened up until after the rain stops and the FS can evaluate the state of the backcountry.

Camuesa Connector is still open, though.
    2TNE ... The SGDC ... is perfect.

mtbr member
    anyone be up for doing a little guiding this upcomming weekend? nothing too epic, just a couple hour take in the sights ride would be great.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    If you're around on Easter Sunday, I'd be up for a trip on Jesusita or Romero. PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Happy to ride/guide

anyone be up for doing a little guiding this upcomming weekend? nothing too epic, just a couple hour take in the sights ride would be great.
    I'd be happy to show you around either day this weekend- trails are in good shape and weather should be really nice. Heaps of good stuff nearby. Shoot me an email: verve825ATgmail.com or a call- 805.245.9322

Regards,

Jeff

mtbr member

Your always welcome

So we'd love to have you come check out the soon to open Stump Grinder Dirt Club, the site of several races this season and the past 9 years. Check out this thread Stump Grinder DC - Trail Work Days

Free primitive camping Friday and Saturday nights for any party that wants to build in the mornings (Sat & Sun) the ride in afternoons...

mh

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, the SGDC is in the Santa Ynez Valley, lot's of wineries and tourist type thing to do ....