mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Santa Ana River Trail, how is it?

Hey all,

I've read about this trail on Mountain Bike Bill (http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SART.htm) and it sounds like it could be fun, long ride to do this weekend (haven't been on my bike in a while, so the longer the better for me).

I've heard there could be lots of trees on the trail and don't know if it's a bad idea to do this trail in Jan (given its 6000 foot elevation).

Any locals or folks ridden this trail recently? Know anything about trail conditions that you'd care to share? Anywhere I can find a trail map, or any routes you all can suggest?

Thanks a lot!
    Kev
    Last edited by tittiot; 01-15-2010 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I did the 9 mile loop behind the Post Office last weekend. There were bits of snow at the higher elevations of the ride, but not enough to where you had to walk. The trail is in pretty good condition. There were some down trees, but we managed to clear all but a couple of big ones.

Looks like more snow next week so if you're going to go this would be the weekend to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hmm, looking to do this one tomorrow. That sounds promising, whats the temp like?

I just tried calling Mill Creek ranger station and nobody was there to pick up. The plan is to drive there tomorrow, pick up a trail map, and hit the Santa ana river trail. Hopefully trail conditions are okay.

If anyone else has any words of warning, would appreciate a heads up. Otherwise, hope it's doable.

Thx,
    Kev
    Last edited by tittiot; 01-16-2010 at 10:14 AM.

5 x 5
    FWIW, the SART is pretty hard to get lost on. Out, back. No map required.

IMHO, the official San Bernardino NF map, while printed on plastic like any high-quality backcountry map, is basically useless due to its enormous scale. There's a "San Bernardino Recreational Map" printed by Fine Edge Productions that's pretty good. Don't know if it's still in print, but if so you'll find it at better bike shops around SoCal.

Oh, and check MTBBill's site - he's probably got something up there.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This message might be too late for you, but if you want a map you're much better off checking goeladders than trying to get one at the Ranger Station. They won't be of too much help to you in there.