mtbr member

Santa Ana River Trail Conditions?

Anyone ridden the SART lately? I was planning on heading up with some friends for a ride after Thanksgiving. There have been some problems with fire closures and trees on the trails in the San Diego area, so I'm just trying to avoid the long drive only to face the same problems up there.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I just rode it Sunday and it was in great shape. Just a few downed treas to climb over but other that awesome. Have fun!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Jus' Ridin' Along

Of course...

Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    I just rode it Sunday and it was in great shape. Just a few downed treas to climb over but other that awesome. Have fun!
    ... he was totally inebriated at the time. The only trees he was crawling over were the ones he hit.
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

Team Hardcore Cornbread

SART is SWEET

I was just there Saturday. It is a bit loose in some of the corners which helped me launch over the bars. I think I remember counting about 5 down trees you will have to climb over. Such a great trail. That was my last in the middle of no where rides with our first kid due in less than 3 weeks. Everything from here on out will be where I can get phone service. I can't wait for the day I can take the little one to SART.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The SART's in great shape. There are a few trees that are down, but most of them have been down for awhile and are pretty easy to get over or around.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul
    Everything from here on out will be where I can get phone service. I can't wait for the day I can take the little one to SART.
    New looks like a tree cell tower behind the Post Office...cell reception much better out there now. My phone is AT&T.

Dea

mtbr member

We're Good to Go!

Looks like it should be great! Appreciate the responses.

I'll be trying this on the single speed for the first time, so the hamburgers ought to taste real good at the Oaks Restaurant when we get back up to the top.

mtbr member

Awesome Ride!

It was an absolutely beautiful day on Friday, although a bit chilly. Coming from San Diego, I forgot to check the temperatures before heading for the hills. I think the thermometer registered 45 when we started at about 10:00 and was about 42 when we headed home at about 4:00. It felt much cooler at the South Fork Campground, and there was ice in the creek at that point.

There were maybe 10 trees down on the trail, but not so many we lost the flow. Two in the group managed to go over the side of the trail - one in the beginning section where there was a gently slope, the second guy at one of the sections where its almost straight down for about 100 feet. Fortunately he stopped only about 15 feet down and the bike was OK. The return trip is always such a blast, and it was especially fun on a quick handlng bike.

I ran a 32/21 gearing on the single speed, which was perfect, especially for the climb out at the end. The ortega chile and pepper jack cheese hamburger at the Oaks jump started the recovery process.

mtbr member
    Anyone been to SART lately? We have a plan to go there this week. Thanks!
    WANTED:NOS TIOGA SUSPENSION FRONT HUB in BLUE
    WANTED:89' DIAMONDBACK AXIS TEAM

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was there 3 weeks ago and there was way too much snow to enjoy the ride. I'd expect that it's fine up there now though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle10
    I was there 3 weeks ago and there was way too much snow to enjoy the ride. I'd expect that it's fine up there now though.

Thanks for advice. I read someones review of Geoladders, there is a lots of tree down everywhere though,,,,,

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I actually decided to go up there today and it was one of the worst SART rides I've had. Almost all the snow is gone so that's not a concern, but all the fallen trees were a real pain. After the first couple I started counting and there were 12 times I had to get off my bike to either walk around or step over a tree. The 10th and 11th times were really bad - there were trees and branches down for a good 20yds in each direction, I had to walk way up and around.

If you go I'd avoid the Post Office loop, that's where I was today. In addition to the trees there were sections of the trail that were covered in leaves and were a little too soft. That's tolerable though, the getting off the bike to walk over and around trees got old after the 2nd or 3rd time.

mtbr member
    all the fallen trees were a real pain. After the first couple I started counting and there were 12 times I had to get off my bike to either walk around or step over a tree. The 10th and 11th times were really bad - there were trees and branches down for a good 20yds in each direction, I had to walk way up and around.
    That exactly what I'd like to know. thanks!

BTW, What a temperature up there like?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Jeff, thank you for checking out the trail for us..........I wonder if the rest of the trail is in the same condition as the Post Office loop.... between Middle Control and Glass Road and/or between Southfork and Glass Road.

I'd be willing to check out the rest of the trail with you ......we could ride all the way up to Southfork on the fire-road and then come down on SART. That way we can avoid the out and back which would take forever if there's a bunch of fallen trees all over the place.
    Last edited by osmarandsara; 03-26-2008 at 10:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the update! was planning on doing the whole thing down to mentone but I guess I'll wait till the heli picks up the logs. let me know when sart is good again it'll be on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I actually decided to go up there today and it was one of the worst SART rides I've had. Almost all the snow is gone so that's not a concern, but all the fallen trees were a real pain. After the first couple I started counting and there were 12 times I had to get off my bike to either walk around or step over a tree. The 10th and 11th times were really bad - there were trees and branches down for a good 20yds in each direction, I had to walk way up and around.

If you go I'd avoid the Post Office loop, that's where I was today. In addition to the trees there were sections of the trail that were covered in leaves and were a little too soft. That's tolerable though, the getting off the bike to walk over and around trees got old after the 2nd or 3rd time.
    How big are the trees? What percentage could you get rid of with a hand saw?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I could ride this week. I wouldn't mind giving the other section a try (out on the fireroad, back on the singletrack). Let me know if you still want to go.

As for the weather, it was great up there. I wore shorts and a long sleeve shirt. It's probably a little on the cool side now as it's cooled off all over since then.

As for sawing the logs, that'd be a ton of work. I'd guess half of them you could probably saw, and that'd help a lot. The biggest problem is towards the end where it's more than just a tree or two that are down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Jeff... I'm booked this week and next week I'm gonna go ridin' in Sedona. I won't be back until April 13.....

I encourage you to check out the rest of SART.....the fire-road is easy to follow to SouthFork......From the turnout on Hwy 38 just after the post office, go all the way down Middle Control until it turns into a paved road....follow it until it turns into dirt again........About 1 mile after passing Glass Road, the dirt road forks...take the right fork.....you will end up across from SouthFork Campground (which is closed right now...no water)

The fire-road basically runs along the river and it's very lush and scenic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I know the exact route you're talking about. I probably won't have a chance to do the whole thing anytime soon. I may just drive out to glass road and then do the loop from there to Southfork and back. If I go I'll report back here how it was.

Enjoy Sedona.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Does this trail end at West Coast Highway?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A group from Geoladders rode SART on Sunday April 14 and apparently still lots of hike-a-bike on this trail (they counted at least 15 downed trees along the way).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There was a group that went up Sunday and cleared most of the downed trees. Sounds like a couple of the bigger ones are still there, but most should be clear now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanks for the info Jeff on SART...we'll need to hit it sometime soon.......Sedona was pretty awesome by the way...

mtbr member
    great news! thanks for the update

Leg Shaver
    regardless of some new slab in spots. SART is the closest thing we get to the cobbles here in Cali.

rough ride. take the steel frame
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?