mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idea! SanDiego Trail conditions and ride recs

I am coming out to the Palm Springs for a conference the first week of May then driving down to SanDiego Thursday morning to visit some family for the rest of the weekend. I though about bringing my mt.bike but some of the threds here describe alot of damage from the fires among popular trails. In any event, that would turn things in to a road bike weekend.

I want to plan ahead and wondering if the trails recovered and do you expect most of the good single track to be closed at this time? Is their epic trial between the drive from Palm Springs and San Diego ?

Thanks

mtbr member

A couple of rides.....

Checkout www.mountainbikebill.com

Between Plam Springs and SD there are a couple noteworthy rides. Hurkey Creek (Site of the 24 hours of Idyllwild) and Thomas Mountain are on the way to SD from the "scenic route". Off Interstate 15, in Escondido, is the old standby Daley Ranch.

Those would be the rides I would recommend. Maybe some of the South county guys will chime in.

Have fun!

Gordon

mtbr member

Good job!

Well, as long as you don't MOVE here, we welcome you, brother-on-wheels!!

Where are you staying with family? Tell us that, and what kind of riding you "want" and we can give you suggestions and probable travel times to/fro

cask conditioned
    You can also do some very fun riding in Palm Springs while you're there. Hit the goat trails behind the Rimrock shopping center and just explore all the crisscrossing singletrack. Maybe climb up Murray Peak and come down Clair Burgess. It's all good.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    You can also do some very fun riding in Palm Springs while you're there. Hit the goat trails behind the Rimrock shopping center and just explore all the crisscrossing singletrack. Maybe climb up Murray Peak and come down Clair Burgess. It's all good.
    Take your camera and SS to Anza-Borrego , and hunt late bloomers.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the replies

I'm into single track, agressive xc,etc. I like big climbs and fast switchback type of desents too whenever I can find them. Not into hucking, downhill or anything like that. I love riding whenever I can.

I spend most of the summer doing a regional race series in Wisconsin. The riding there is very singletrack with alot of roots, rock gardens and loamy soil and mud-more east coast stsyle. I'm sure SanDiego is probably more rocky like Arizona or Utah? My family lives in Carlsbad. As much as I would like to move out there, it would be difficult for me to find a job there since I work in the financial/securities industry. Closest I could get would be L.A. but I am happy visiting 2-3 times a year.

Anyway-I appreciate the responses.
    Kevin

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by vtwin996
    I'm into single track, agressive xc,etc. I like big climbs and fast switchback type of desents too whenever I can find them. Not into hucking, downhill or anything like that. I love riding whenever I can.

Anyway-I appreciate the responses.
    Kevin
    You want to ride San Juan Trail. Up and down is a great ride. 100% single track. The reveiws and directions can be found on MTBR. Not really out of the way from Palm Springs to Carlsbad.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

... and if we just ... Iron Mt.

Having riden Murry peak and goat trail in P.S. I'd recomend Iron Mt. Technical and big climb from Poway Valley. 30% road and 70% trail of a 19 mi or more ride. Park across street from Garden Road Elementry school. Ride on trails south and turn east to ride 2 mi on sycamore canyon rd. Ride to last left and turn on dirt road ride up trail to top and turn left / north. Ride to end and head east to Highway 67 and ride paved 2.5 mi to Iron Mt. off 67. Ride on weekdays better. Many hikers on weekends. A great tough ride. Sim to murray peak with a tad more technical at the top of Iron mt. I'll be glad to ride with, robop@cox.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtwin996
    My family lives in Carlsbad.

Okay, take a look at the trail listings for Lake Calaveras, Flightline, Daley Ranch and Elfin Forest/Mt. Israel either here or on SoCalMtb.com. All of those are close to your folks' house.