mtbr member

San Luis Obispo hiking-only trails?

Any locals (or non-locals) know why there are hiking only trails in SLO? Just wondering what the reasoning is for some trails to allow mountain bikes and some trails don't. Thought I'd ask here but plan on contacting Parks & Rec as well. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Any locals (or non-locals) know why there are hiking only trails in SLO? Just wondering what the reasoning is for some trails to allow mountain bikes and some trails don't. Thought I'd ask here but plan on contacting Parks & Rec as well. Thanks!

If you mean the one going up to Bishop's Peak, it would be no good for mountain biking anyway due to the steepness, boulders, and number of hikers. Or are you referring to the ones out in MDO like Valencia?

There are tons of good trails there that aren't hiking only, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    There are tons of good trails here but there are trails designated by the city as hiking only and just wondering why? What makes some trails ok for bikes and some not. Not really Bishops because its pretty much unrideable but Felsman Loop, Islay Hill, Reservoir Canyon, and South Hills Open Space just off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Not everybody loves mountain bikes. Hard to understand, I know, but it's true. Designating "hiker only" trails gives these kinds of folks somewhere to hike without having to deal with us, and therefore us with them.

It's a GOOD thing.

mtbr member
    Check summitpost.com
    Geoladders.com
    Los Padres national forest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    There are tons of good trails here but there are trails designated by the city as hiking only and just wondering why? What makes some trails ok for bikes and some not. Not really Bishops because its pretty much unrideable but Felsman Loop, Islay Hill, Reservoir Canyon, and South Hills Open Space just off the top of my head.
    I don't think you're missing much by not biking those. Plus, like Centurion said, it gives the anti crowd a place to hike and keeps them away from us in a good way.